Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X April Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to put in a request for some sort of "override Summon , I'm signing my life away when I use this feature", but I'm not holding my breath unless they start selling lots Teslas to people who have narrow garages rather than to people who generally have lots of garage space.

The official response from Tesla NA Support was pretty much what I expected namely: that my clearance is under the safety level of the Model X, so sorry, you will just have to drive it manually into/out of the garage.

How long have cars been taking to finish production lately? According to my DS my car was in production when we last spoke (which was two weeks ago, he was on vacation last week). Dare I call and ask him what stage we are at now? Or should I just swallow all optimism knowing that my car is being built at the Freemont Factory and despite reserving in 2012, accept that I have zero hope of getting it before a few more are pushed out to CA residents?

Looks like this explains some of the delays:

Model X is built to be the safest SUV on the road. In addition to safety-first design and features, we continuously test and update Model X to make it even better.

Model X is built to be the safest SUV on the road. In addition to safety-first design and features, we continuously test and update Model X to make it even better. Tesla's internally conducted crash testing demonstrates that Model X will be the first SUV to receive the highest safety rating in every category, and we are committed to ensuring that it remains the safest SUV in the world.

Recently, during an internal seat strength test that was conducted prior to the start of Model X deliveries in Europe, the recliner in a third row Model X seat unexpectedly slipped. While we have not had a single issue with any cars that have been delivered, we decided to voluntarily replace the third row seats in every Model X that was built before we introduced an improved recliner design into our production process on March 26, 2016.

We want you to know that the Model X you configured is not affected by this issue. It is being built with updated third row seats that have the improved recliner design.

We know you're going to love Model X. If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at (888) 518-3752 or by email at [email protected].

Thank you for being part of the Tesla family.

Maybe you can change your order and drop the Ludicrous and add Premium Pkg. ludicrous can be added later for the same price.

Maybe
I asked my DS about this in early February. He was completely unhelpful and poker-faced about it: "If you'd like to make a change there is a $500 fee. There is no guarantee that changing to the PUP will decrease the time to delivery at this point, or it could even increase it."

I think Colby Boles will not need to wait much longer. I will have my car in 3 weeks or so. No one confirmed this, but I am a believer in Positive thinking. My car has been in production for about 2 weeks, so there is little reason for it to not be nearly done. I reserved in 2012 and ordered on 11/30/16. Technically, if you ordered a P90DL to jump ahead in line, you succeeded, because you managed to get ahead of many people. My original reservation number was much lower than my actual VIN.

Soon... Things are really moving. Do not be surprised if you get a call within a few days of the actual date your car will be ready to be picked up.

I totally believe that will happen at some point - it has just been strange to be waiting for my car "any moment now" for about 6 weeks. What is stranger is that other people's delivery experience usually includes getting a scheduled delivery date, even though those dates often have slipped. Never getting a date to me means that my car delivery is further down the road than some others here who have received dates.

Similarly, people who had ordered later were also getting VINs sooner than I and other non-PUP P90D orders. When I asked my DS about this, he said "VIN order is not indicative of build or completion order", to which I said: "Yes, I can see that to be true, but I seriously doubt that orders without VINs are going to be built before orders with VINs...". So far I think my point has proven to be true. I'm not sure how many (if any) non-PUP vehicles have been delivered at this point, regardless of P90DL/P90D/90D type.

Also, from this thread: Lowest VIN NOT Delivered?

You can see there are other orders much earlier than mine that are still not delivered. Perhaps those started production at a time when many flaws were being introduced so they are awaiting rework and nobody has made time to fix them while they concentrate on getting the bulk of the orders out.

Model X is built to be the safest SUV on the road. In addition to safety-first design and features, we continuously test and update Model X to make it even better.

Model X is built to be the safest SUV on the road. In addition to safety-first design and features, we continuously test and update Model X to make it even better. Tesla's internally conducted crash testing demonstrates that Model X will be the first SUV to receive the highest safety rating in every category, and we are committed to ensuring that it remains the safest SUV in the world.

Recently, during an internal seat strength test that was conducted prior to the start of Model X deliveries in Europe, the recliner in a third row Model X seat unexpectedly slipped. While we have not had a single issue with any cars that have been delivered, we decided to voluntarily replace the third row seats in every Model X that was built before we introduced an improved recliner design into our production process on March 26, 2016.

We want you to know that the Model X you configured is not affected by this issue. It is being built with updated third row seats that have the improved recliner design.

We know you're going to love Model X. If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at (888) 518-3752 or by email at [email protected].

Was this a response to an inquiry you made or just an update of the build progress? Is it possible some vehicles that started production before the March 26 update are being sent back into production to change to the new 3rd row seat?

I was able to upgrade and got the $500 fee waived.

Sigh. I was pushing that angle and got nowhere. Why would a company up-charge you with a fee to buy an expensive upgrade before the vehicle is even being built? An upgrade that wasn't disclosed as being essential to getting your vehicle in a timely manner, even though they would not admit so? I opted to not get a 90D or 5 seats for these very reasons. It turns out that the P90D / 90D choice which they did state as affecting delivery date was a less important than the PUP, which they gave no indication as being time-sensitive.

I get that unexpected things come up in manufacturing, but at least help your customers adapt to the issues without penalizing them for your mistakes. I'm glad they at least offered you that courtesy.

Last edited:
To be fair, I think @K-MTG was directly marketed for an upgrade (received a call asking to upgrade). Since that originated from Tesla, I could see why they might be more willing to waive it. But overall I agree - I was going to add subzero but they wanted $500 and I wasn't really sure I wanted it anyway. So I passed.

To be fair, I think @K-MTG was directly marketed for an upgrade (received a call asking to upgrade). Since that originated from Tesla, I could see why they might be more willing to waive it. But overall I agree - I was going to add subzero but they wanted $500 and I wasn't really sure I wanted it anyway. So I passed.

Correct, I upgraded to the premium package along with a 90D from 70D

Was this a response to an inquiry you made or just an update of the build progress? Is it possible some vehicles that started production before the March 26 update are being sent back into production to change to the new 3rd row seat?

No this was a mass email I presume as I had made no special inquiry. I read it as my vehicle was either started after March 26 (or not at all), which is interesting in itself in that I was told during March to expect my vehicle "any day", when in fact it had not even started production. I get that this is a publicly traded company and they have to worry about the stock price constantly, but I have to think that better communication of exactly what is going on with these vehicles as they are produced would lead to less wild speculation by customers and shareholders alike.

My car supposedly entered production March 24th there about so I'm guessing it should have already been scheduled for the already improved recliner design? Yes, no, maybe. Hmmmm

Any thoughts on whether today's announcement on recall will push back April's deliveries until May?

From the emails they sent, it probably depends if the vehicle was made before or after March 26th. It looks like it wouldn't affect anything that went into production after that since the manufacturing line was using the new parts by that point. If manufactured before, it would likely get held for part replacement, though who knows how much time that would add.