Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X as a daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background: I currently have a 2022 Model S as a daily driver and it's been mostly great for commuting to and from work (15 miles each way in Los Angeles traffic). Outside work, I've been noticing we've been using my wife's 7-seater Model Y more for hiking, grocery runs, and going out to eat. We're a family of 5.5 (3 adults, 2 toddlers who need booster seats, and a dog), so it makes sense to use her car since cramming everyone into the Model S would be tight for those in the back. Aside from getting everyone of back easier, the Model Y doesn't have vents in the back, so sometimes my kids complains that it's too hot to sit in the third row. So now I'm considering replacing my Model S with a Model X since it offers a more space and comfort than the Model Y and Model S. My wife doesn't want to replace her car since she likes the size and she's been quite attached to it.

I'm curious if there are those who have Model X as a daily driver and have some questions:
  • Does having a Model X seem too big as a daily driver?
  • Any issues driving along city streets and bottoming-out?
  • Any issues in parking garages?
  • Any other issues I should consider?
I greatly appreciate any feedback!

We have 2 adults, 3 kids and went from a Model Y to an X refresh. It definitely bigger and more luxurious. Rides better but you can sense the size difference immediately. Kind of what you'd expect though given the extra space. Worth it for us... probably a bit safer due to increased weight as well.

Reactions: Kelryin
I'm curious if there are those who have Model X as a daily driver and have some questions:
  • Does having a Model X seem too big as a daily driver?
  • Any issues driving along city streets and bottoming-out?
  • Any issues in parking garages?
  • Any other issues I should consider?
I greatly appreciate any feedback!
No issues with any of those things. Definitely not too big; Bottoming the suspension is possible in the soft setting, but it is adjustable, both damping and ride height; I rarely have an opportunity to use a parking garage, but if you can walk through it, you can park in it. Go for it, you will love it!

Model 3 owner for almost 4 years. I hate big cars but the 3 is getting tight with our family of 4. We sat in a refresh S and it felt like such a sideways move in the interior space department that we ditched the upgrade to a Plaid S idea.

Had a '17 X 6 seater as a loaner for 2 weeks while the 3 was in service.

Conclusion: we all fell in love, HARD, for the X. We were all sad the day I had to return the X.

The extra interior room is game changing.

It doesn't "feel" big at all on the roads. I felt right at home even though I skew more to smaller/nimbler cars. The only time it's size really shows is when I pull it into my garage. I have to use the backup camera to get it micro inches away from the garage door so I can have a decent walk way at the front between the X and my work bench.

The height adjustable suspension on the fly gave me piece of mind going over the 5 speed bumps daily at summer camp.

Biggest con is the FWD make it a bit of a PITA when we're all trying to get in/out of the car in the garage at the same time. Either have to wait your turn front to back or have the kids go thru on the opposite side. Also con is the hatch can't open fully when in the garage so it makes loading/unloading a bit of a crouch fest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dayreg and Kelryin
Why would the X bottom out more than your S? X has more clearance. X is pretty big but you’ll get used to it. Some think the S is to big.

I went from 3 -> X Raven -> S Refresh

My only concern is S won’t have enough clearance for snow. My road gets snow drifts off a lake and it can build up quick. X just plowed through it.

I love the range and efficiency in the S. Only 2 adults and 2 small dogs here.

Last edited:
I currently own a 2015 Model S and a 2022 Model X. I use both of them as daily drivers, sometimes both in the same day. (The X will be a replacement for the S, I'm in a transition mode now.)

They're very different vehicles, but in terms of usability as a daily driver I'd say they're pretty equivalent. Their size and turning radius are comparable...some would say they're both too big but if you're already comfortable driving your S, I'd say moving to the X should be no problem. In the X, you do sit up higher.

You might know the Model X has three different seat configurations (5, 6, and 7). Think carefully about which one will be the most useful for you throughout the lifetime of the car (booster seats, kids growing out of them, that kind of thing).

In terms of where you can drive and park, the only thing I'd think about is the Falcon Wing Doors. If your garage (or other regular parking place) has a very low ceiling, they could be problematic because they do extend higher than the normal roofline of the car. So far I have not had a problem with this.

Bruce.

I currently own a 2015 Model S and a 2022 Model X. I use both of them as daily drivers, sometimes both in the same day. (The X will be a replacement for the S, I'm in a transition mode now.)

They're very different vehicles, but in terms of usability as a daily driver I'd say they're pretty equivalent. Their size and turning radius are comparable...some would say they're both too big but if you're already comfortable driving your S, I'd say moving to the X should be no problem. In the X, you do sit up higher.

You might know the Model X has three different seat configurations (5, 6, and 7). Think carefully about which one will be the most useful for you throughout the lifetime of the car (booster seats, kids growing out of them, that kind of thing).

In terms of where you can drive and park, the only thing I'd think about is the Falcon Wing Doors. If your garage (or other regular parking place) has a very low ceiling, they could be problematic because they do extend higher than the normal roofline of the car. So far I have not had a problem with this.

Bruce.
Good points.

With Raven X the 6/7 got a larger A/C system than the 5 seat. With the new heat pump system I’m not sure that is still true. But there were lots of complaints on Prerefresh 5 seater. I’ve seen a couple mentions of lack of air flow in the back of Refresh X. I don’t know the destails. Just something to double check since that was a concern with the Y. The OP mention of Y not cool enough in back is exactly the complaint you’d hear on 5 seater X’s (prerefresh).

I had low ceiling garage and X was fine. But could be tedious at times because it would not open as far as it could and I’d have to override manually every time.

Last edited:
I have the 2021 S and my father has the 2022 X. I drive both. They are basically the same footprint and drive the same. Parking is same. The S is lower (think clearance to the ground and roof). The S is sportier and more fun to drive. The X is more SUV like and a better view.

For a daily driver and trip driver by myself (maybe wife too), the S is the winner. For a daily intown driver with the family - or family trip hauler, the X is the winner.

I looked into the S because it objectively had better efficiency. Subjectively, I think the S looks killer. Over time I've grown to really like the X. The space is great for road trips, and it's nice that I can tow a car around town instead of firing up my truck. Curious how it'll do once ski season starts.

Reactions: BonB and Kelryin
Another vote for "if you are happy with the S, you will be happy with the X".

My wife had an S from 2012-2017, then switched to an X which is still her daily driver. I can't recall a single issue we've had where she's said she wished she had another car. (Well, she still prefers the looks of the S).

I far prefer something like the 3 for daily driving simply because it handles better; but if you (like my wife) are using it as a transportation appliance rather than a canyon carver, the X is awesome. She refused to drive my 3. She will grudgingly drive my Y on occasion, but far prefers her X.

The only concern I'd note is that the X has been our least reliable Tesla - but even there, the problems have all been minor. Noises, shakes, a button you have to hit a second time and hold, things like that. It's always gotten us to where we want to go, so it has been very reliable transportation.

Thank you everyone for the informative feedback. I'm surprised quite a bit of people use their Model X as a daily driver in different conditions (rural, city, snow). I did compare the dimensions on both and found them very similar in size in terms of length and width. The front overhang on the Model X is over an inch longer, but hopefully the additional ground clearance offsets that.

I'm leaning towards getting the 6 seat for the ease of entry and how unique the 2nd row of seats look. Seeing how the wait time is about a year, I better put in an order right away.

Thank you everyone for the informative feedback. I'm surprised quite a bit of people use their Model X as a daily driver in different conditions (rural, city, snow). I did compare the dimensions on both and found them very similar in size in terms of length and width. The front overhang on the Model X is over an inch longer, but hopefully the additional ground clearance offsets that.

I'm leaning towards getting the 6 seat for the ease of entry and how unique the 2nd row of seats look. Seeing how the wait time is about a year, I better put in an order right away.
check inventory.. recently Model X Plaids have been popping up in inventory occasionally.. Long Range may be a long wait at this point.. I got 900 miles on my Model X Plaid so far (took delivery 6/16).

Not really sure why you’d think the X is — in any way — not suitable as a daily driver.

We drive it here in NJ - suburban, urban and rural — and, if anything, it’s on the smaller side of common vehicles here.

My wife had a Buick Enclave before the X, so it’s actually downsizing a bit for us.

Really no issue at all with size or performance. I’ve driven it from the backroads of Sussex County and through Times Square. No issues in any case whatsoever.

I know you said your wife is attached to her Y, once she gets used to the X opens the door for her, you will be using the Y for your daily driver LOL.