TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X at 155mph? Has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ratsbew, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Has anyone had their X up to the governed max speed of 155 mph? What was it like both in terms of driving, wind noise, and consumption?

2. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I've had my Model S very close to that speed. The answers to your three questions are: uneventful, high and high.

• Disagree x 1
  3. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

Bjorn Nyland has on the autobahn.

4. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

I can neither confirm nor deny achieving speeds in excess of 145mph in my MX. ;) However, IF I had, I would say it felt extremely stable, which I attribute to the weight and aerodynamics. It doesn't feel "loose" at all. Wind noise is, of course, much higher but certainly not to the point that it's ridiculous. Battery consumption is obviously very, very high.

It honestly feels as planted as my Corvette does at 180mph, and is quieter. Or what I imagine my Corvette would feel like at that speed anyway. ;)

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 3
  5. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Eh, if you live in Montana I'm willing to bet such a theoretical event would be safe both in practice and from the law.

• Like x 3
  6. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I can attest, theoretically, to the fact that there is a stretch of 191 north of Livingston, Montana, where 155 mph is not only safe, the road may have even been made for those speeds. Theoretically, one can have a conversation with a passenger on that road wherein it is noted that the car is travelling at about the same speed as a prop plane.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

The highest I did was 112 mph (on the 133 toll road). I could have gone higher but didn't want to sacrifice my accident/ticket free driving record.

8. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

How high is high usage? I've towed a nearly-empty yard trailer with truly terrible aerodynamics (imagine a 5 foot tall lift gate/ramp sticking straight up doing its best to catch the air and hold itself back) at upper 70mph. Sustained usage was definitely over 1000Wh/mile on level ground. Possibly up to 1500. Enough that I had to hit the supercharger for my "short" ~75 mile round trip commute for the day. I've only been above 90mph a handful of times, but never for long enough to get a sustained usage without being obscured by the hard acceleration to get to that speed.

9. Maaz

Maaz Member

Most I've gotten is 127 before running out of road.

10. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

Ah yes, the stretch between Wilsall and White Sulphur Springs. I may have topped an AMG Mercedes out on that road...

• Like x 2
  11. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I've had my X up to 155km/h...oh wait...nevermind. Damn US units.

• Funny x 7
  12. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

That is precisely the place I was theoretically talking about... I'll be there in about 2 weeks, but with my F150 rather than my Tesla. If I see a Tesla going the other way I'll give one thumbs up for no cops behind me and one thumbs down for a cop sighting...

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

I can also (like the guy from Montana) neither confirm nor deny hitting 180km/hr very briefly on the 407...Its no 155mph but I also didn't want a road side seizure haha

14. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

May have gone too fast in my rental minivan on the 407 in Toronto near Vaughan

15. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

16. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

Let's please not turn this into a Drone pilot's forum where we have "pilots" flying their drones for miles and miles over populated areas which is totally illegal and unsafe! Hence the reason why some countries have come out with strict drone laws, Canada being the strictest and most ridiculous!
    The Tesla analogy of course would be driving at illegal and dangerous speeds!
    Stay safe and drive smart!

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. nagypite

nagypite Member

18. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Of what I could stand to watch, it topped at 248 km/h. That's 154 mph. Close enough.

19. David99

David99 Active Member

250 km/h (155 mph) is the gentlemen's agreement of most car manufacturers to limit their cars to. BMW started it when they introduced their 12 cylinder 7 series. By practicing self control, they wanted to avoid the German government to limit the Autobahn speed. The other positive is that when (more or less) all manufacturers limit their cars to 250, engineers can focus on more important aspects rather than trying to squeeze out more top speed that is irrelevant in every day driving and would make the drive train overall less efficient.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. Dimitar Atanasov

If you get pulled over would it really matter if you were doing 112 or 122? They'll nail yr a$$ the same exact way