Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X at 155mph? Has anyone tried it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can neither confirm nor deny achieving speeds in excess of 145mph in my MX. ;) However, IF I had, I would say it felt extremely stable, which I attribute to the weight and aerodynamics. It doesn't feel "loose" at all. Wind noise is, of course, much higher but certainly not to the point that it's ridiculous. Battery consumption is obviously very, very high.

It honestly feels as planted as my Corvette does at 180mph, and is quieter. Or what I imagine my Corvette would feel like at that speed anyway. ;)

Eh, if you live in Montana I'm willing to bet such a theoretical event would be safe both in practice and from the law.

I can attest, theoretically, to the fact that there is a stretch of 191 north of Livingston, Montana, where 155 mph is not only safe, the road may have even been made for those speeds. Theoretically, one can have a conversation with a passenger on that road wherein it is noted that the car is travelling at about the same speed as a prop plane.

How high is high usage? I've towed a nearly-empty yard trailer with truly terrible aerodynamics (imagine a 5 foot tall lift gate/ramp sticking straight up doing its best to catch the air and hold itself back) at upper 70mph. Sustained usage was definitely over 1000Wh/mile on level ground. Possibly up to 1500. Enough that I had to hit the supercharger for my "short" ~75 mile round trip commute for the day. I've only been above 90mph a handful of times, but never for long enough to get a sustained usage without being obscured by the hard acceleration to get to that speed.

I can attest, theoretically, to the fact that there is a stretch of 191 north of Livingston, Montana, where 155 mph is not only safe, the road may have even been made for those speeds. Theoretically, one can have a conversation with a passenger on that road wherein it is noted that the car is travelling at about the same speed as a prop plane.

Ah yes, the stretch between Wilsall and White Sulphur Springs. I may have topped an AMG Mercedes out on that road...

Ah yes, the stretch between Wilsall and White Sulphur Springs. I may have topped an AMG Mercedes out on that road...

That is precisely the place I was theoretically talking about... I'll be there in about 2 weeks, but with my F150 rather than my Tesla. If I see a Tesla going the other way I'll give one thumbs up for no cops behind me and one thumbs down for a cop sighting...

Let's please not turn this into a Drone pilot's forum where we have "pilots" flying their drones for miles and miles over populated areas which is totally illegal and unsafe! Hence the reason why some countries have come out with strict drone laws, Canada being the strictest and most ridiculous!
The Tesla analogy of course would be driving at illegal and dangerous speeds!
Stay safe and drive smart!

250 km/h (155 mph) is the gentlemen's agreement of most car manufacturers to limit their cars to. BMW started it when they introduced their 12 cylinder 7 series. By practicing self control, they wanted to avoid the German government to limit the Autobahn speed. The other positive is that when (more or less) all manufacturers limit their cars to 250, engineers can focus on more important aspects rather than trying to squeeze out more top speed that is irrelevant in every day driving and would make the drive train overall less efficient.