Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X at Santana Row this Weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks TEG.

I'm with Bonnie I really like what I've seen on-line. If they've already developed this color for the Model X, one would think it would be available for the Model S.

Larry

no not at all. most brands differentiate between models. for example the audi q7 you cannot get in metallic green which is one of the most common colors in EU for the A6. etc. this is good marketing. some colors the same and some not

Were they letting people sit in the Model X?

At one point I was leaning over the ropes to peek in the front and, ever so gently and absent-mindedly, happened to lay two finger tips on the top of the opened door. I got a quick "don't touch the car" from one of the newbies working in the store. (A "please" would kill ya?)

So no, no test sitting the X.

If they've already developed this color for the Model X, one would think it would be available for the Model S.

Model X is currently a hand built concept that was done using small volume custom work. They may have sent it out to some specialized paint shop.
Model S needs to be made at the Tesla Factory using their paint robots, and has a limited selection of colors probably because it would be too expensive to keep changing the paint "onesy twosy" as cars come down the line.

In other words, just because you see something on Model X, you shouldn't assume it is available for Model S.
At Santana Row today I overheard some Model S depositors asking if they could get certain interior materials and options from Model X put into their Model S.
The answer was typically "Sorry, no, not at this time."

I guess that is one of the problems with showing off a "next generation" prototype... You get some people wanting those things that really aren't ready yet.

...I got a quick "don't touch the car"...
I saw someone lean over the rope and hit the bodywork with their knucles. (Testing to see if it was real?)
They got a stern response from the staff that was trying to watch out for the car.

At the design studio reveal it was a mass crowd dogpile into the Model X.
I saw the designers watching in horror as the masses descended into their one masterpiece prototype.

I think it is very unusual for a car company to let people get so involved with their early stage prototypes.
Usually ones meant for public display are heavily roped off on a pedestal far away from the crowds.

Model X is currently a hand built concept that was done using small volume custom work. They may have sent it out to some specialized paint shop. Model S needs to be made at the Tesla Factory using their paint robots, and has a limited selection of colors probably because it would be too expensive to keep changing the paint "onesy twosy" as cars come down the line.

Thanks, makes sense.

However, just assumed that with the paint shop coming on-line that they would naturally start producing new colors there rather than sending it out to a custom paint shop.

Larry

However, just assumed that with the paint shop coming on-line that they would naturally start producing new colors there rather than sending it out to a custom paint shop.
Larry

It is my understanding that the Model X concept was made in LA, 100s of miles away from the NorCal Model S factory.
Also, it is made out of different materials from production Model S, so the painting technique may need to be different.

Basically hand-built concept cars are a lot different under the skin than production cars.

Tesla just posted a recap video
Something to note in this video that I think Telsa needs to make sure they repeat...

Take a look at the 33 second mark in the video. Notice that the falcon doors don't extend farther than the opened driver door. Further, notice that it's fairly obvious that the driver door isn't fully opened; the representative preparing to stand in the rear door would clearly have trouble getting out the driver door being so slightly ajar. They need to show this and the height maximum of the door relative to "comparable vehicle" hatch/trunk fully opened.

Numbers or great but this visual comparison really drives home the point: "stylish and functional, in the tight spaces you already deal with."

I do know! Not only have I witnessed the falcon wings open w/ the front doors closed, I've watched each falcon wing door open individually, too. And on the teslamotors.com site, there are a couple of pics of the X with falcon wings open, front doors closed.

Do they have child safety locks on the falcon doors? (Maybe they are compulsory?)

I didn't check that, but I can't help but believe there will be. It's standard practice. Same with window locks.

Hope so! One of my dogs learned how to open the windows in the Prius & the rear window-lock has proven invaluable. I hear his paw hitting the controls in frustration.