Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X at the Toronto Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many members of our club helped out yesterday. I can congirm that the X is still there and will be for the entire show.
So when you talk to the visitors at the show, what is the general sentiment towards EV's? Are you feeling that the tide has changed and more than 50% support EV's and want one, except for the usual 'if I was wealthy and could afford it' statement? Has the 'only substitute for cubic inches is more cubic inches' crowd become smaller or at least less vocal?

The people that we, as owners, talk to on the street are generally those with an interest in Tesla, so I suspect our sample set is biased from the start. The car show presumably has all types walking by the Tesla display... and maybe more petrol-heads in general.

So when you talk to the visitors at the show, what is the general sentiment towards EV's?

I worked the Tesla booth yesterday from about 10 am to 5 pm and will be back again on Friday. I spoke to many people yesterday and it still ranges from the curious/skeptical to all-in enthusiasts. Even with long range EVs, the skeptics' concern is mainly about "forgetting" to charge and then getting stranded. One guy I spoke with said he'd only get an EV if he could install an inductive charging unit in his garage so that he can just drive in and forget about it (there is such an after-market solution available).

No, sorry, there are only igloos and electric cars :smile:

The crowds I saw at the show were just as mknox says. I saw a lot of enthusiasm and equally a lot of knowledge. Much interest was in the Model 3…but I had excellent conversations with people who almost certainly will buy a car in the next month.

The Tesla booth is swarmed with people for hours at a time, unlike the others on that floor of the exhibition hall.

John is correct. The X is there until the show closes on Sunday. Where on earth would they take it in the meantime, and why bother, when the crowds for it are huge at the exhibition space? More media misinformation…

Last edited:
The crowds I saw at the show were just as mknox says. I saw a lot of enthusiasm and equally a lot of knowledge. Much interest was in the Model 3…but I had excellent conversations with people who almost certainly will buy a car in the next month.
Cool. Good to see that EV's are now considered to be of interest as actual cars rather than just oddities. When three of us parked our MS's at the local car show last August (a big one), I noticed that although other cars drew admiring crowds, people just looked and commented to their friends before moving along. Our cars were the trigger for many discussions between us (the owners), spectators and even between the spectators that didn't know each other. Lot's of questions, lots of discussion. We were all pretty much hoarse by the end of the day. Definitely a different crowd dynamic compared to around the other cars.

- - - Updated - - -

I must visit this Canada people speak of. Is it civilized? Does it have running water and electricity? Any animal life? Do humans live there? Inquiring minds want to know...
EV's are quickly overtaking dogsled as the preferred method of transportation between igloo cities. This has the suppliers of seal meat seriously concerned that their livelihood may be at risk...

I spent a couple of hours at the booth yesterday meeting the club guys (hi Mike and Fraser!) and talking to a lot of booth visitors. It was quite busy even right at opening bell.

The X is really cool in person but honestly if I had to chose I'd still pick a Model S even though I like SUVs. By the way, the VIN on the Model X is 450 for those who are curious.

Interesting that you noted it was teenagers that realized the accessibility of the third row. Those are future owners and they tend to be the most socially connected. That children and young adults *see* the future via Tesla vehicles so clearly is awesome.

Yeah as that's why I posted it. I was listening to them to see their reactions and one of the young girls said it as soon as the door opened and saw the second row seats. It's nice to hear someone "get it" without it being pointed out or sold on something. That's why I had to mention it to Elon as vindication of their decision to keep the feature.

Anyone with a Model X reservation can 'jump the rope', I had a 3 and 6 year old crawl all over it for 15 minutes last weekend...
Your 3 and 6 year olds have reservations?! :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

I was one to Owners in the Booth yesterday too. Pictures don't do it justice but here are some from yesterday.
Thanks for the pictures … I knew they wouldn't do the X justice, but that's what I came to this thread for! :smile: