Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Auto Pilot reminder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 21k miles of driving in last 10 months, I had a nice reminder that there’s still a ways to go..... 10mph stop and go traffic, truck in front had a low, empty flat bed trailer. Hardly felt it, but sure will with insurance later:(.

Attachments

• C66311A3-D6DB-4899-8BD8-58413EF071B9.jpeg
    C66311A3-D6DB-4899-8BD8-58413EF071B9.jpeg
    713.6 KB · Views: 191
Ouch.... one would expect the sensors to pick that up. You were using it as per the design, on the highway. why wasn't it picked up? Looked like it was right at the sensor height. I rarely use mine just because of these claims.... and to think of how far autopilot has come too... LOL

I would be asking Tesla to have a look at why it failed

Reactions: Kacey Green
Still on road trip and now stuck in an ICE van. What would normally be a relaxing and cost free trip, has turned into an 3.90 per gallon trip without any lane keeping assistance, or stellar crash safety. Lesson learned:/

Ouch. Very sorry to see that, painful.

But just to be clear, autopilot crashed you into a flatbed with what will surely be a large repair bill, and you are lamenting the cost of gas?

After 21k miles of driving in last 10 months, I had a nice reminder that there’s still a ways to go..... 10mph stop and go traffic, truck in front had a low, empty flat bed trailer. Hardly felt it, but sure will with insurance later:(.

Oh man, sorry to see this. Maybe you should talk to Tesla before your insurance and ask if they will fix it since you followed what Tesla says AP can be used for.

Oh man, sorry to see this. Maybe you should talk to Tesla before your insurance and ask if they will fix it since you followed what Tesla says AP can be used for.

Tesla won’t pay for this ..there are enough disclaimers about holding wheel etc ...given Tesla part shortages I wouldn’t doubt if this was easily a 5mo job for body shop

That looks totaled :( Sorry to see it go this way. It seems like a beautiful config. I'm one of the rare people that didn't get EAP, and this is the reason. I didn't want to become dependent on something that's still in "Beta"

I can’t imagine how you must feel. I was just in a 10mile traffic jam and never touched any pedals the whole way. A failure like this at low speed should never have happened and is not something you are easily prepared for. Totally the car’s fault in my opinion (although probably not legally).

Hope you get it fixed and returned soon.

first sorry for dmg and glad no one was hurt.

but second i must comment on the lack of driver awareness in this accident. and this is the main problem Tesla has with people over-trusting or over-reliance on the technology. i wasn't there but if you were paying attention and watching the car approach the flat bed trailer at 10mph what stopped you from slamming on the brakes? even if you were VERY trusting of the autopilot system you could still see it wasn't going to engage and stop so what prevented you from stepping in... which is what you are supposed to do.

my guess is that you were not paying attention and thus were not using the system properly, which unfortunately most of the headline news Tesla accidents are also doing. i am also guilty of this from time to time. i was unaware of the limitations of the system and found myself testing its limits.

Tesla may have to be more aggressive about educating drivers on the limitations of the system.

Reactions: spectrum and P85_DA
This happened to me today after two hours of reading this forum.

Thankfully, I didn’t crash into it. I actually intentionally went behind the trailer in an adjacent lane to experiment.

What ended up happening was that my MX would stop with a safe enough distance behind the trailer. Once the car came to a complete stop, however, it would “ignore” the trailer, and then continue straight ahead to the truck.

I made sure that this was this case 3 times. All three times, autopilot was engaged and I disengaged it at the absolute last second to give AP a chance. It would have turned out to be a very similar story.

I hope your MX gets out and back on the road soon.

First pic is of when AP stopped before hitting trailer (safe distance)
IMG_5487.jpg

Second pic is of when I waited to slam brakes. Pic was taken once brakes have been pressed, AP disengaged, and passengers frustrated
IMG_5485.jpg

This happened to me today after two hours of reading this forum.

Thankfully, I didn’t crash into it. I actually intentionally went behind the trailer in an adjacent lane to experiment.

What ended up happening was that my MX would stop with a safe enough distance behind the trailer. Once the car came to a complete stop, however, it would “ignore” the trailer, and then continue straight ahead to the truck.

I made sure that this was this case 3 times. All three times, autopilot was engaged and I disengaged it at the absolute last second to give AP a chance. It would have turned out to be a very similar story.

I hope your MX gets out and back on the road soon.

First pic is of when AP stopped before hitting trailer (safe distance)
View attachment 325561

Second pic is of when I waited to slam brakes. Pic was taken once brakes have been pressed, AP disengaged, and passengers frustrated
View attachment 325562

You are brave, good research and Tesla should take note of this. Maybe send their tech team (if you can find a contact listed somewhere) a link to this thread too?

I really hope Tesla could take a look at that. That is something that shouldn’t even be a problem in beta.
You can see from the second picture once I disengaged, it did sense something in front of the car.
But you can also see from IC how far away the actual “car” is away from the MX, where actually it was mere inches away.
Hopefully it’s software, and not a hardware thing. Otherwise when FSD is rolled out and ready to go, those trailers will be tesla traps