Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Autopilot Problem - Pretty Scary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you decide to try out this new feature, with which you apparently completely failed to familiarize yourself, with your whole family in the car and set to 80 MPH? The problem is Human v2016 which is still in BETA. I'd opt for autopilot 7.1 but I don't get a choice. I want a recall of Human v2016 right now. I'm sick of having to fend off the severe safety hazard they present.

That's not entirely true. You can set the speed to be your speed, and then you can full press the tacc stalk up several times to increase the speed setting by 5mph each time. If you're going 65 it only takes 3 full presses up to reach 80.

Yes, that's true too. But my main point was if the OP was already cruising at 80mph (since he was already driving in autopilot for some time), then it would be impossible for the car to "continue to accelerate to 80mph" towards a slow car in front. If you're already at a certain speed you can't accelerate further to maintain that speed... because... physics. While dramatic sounding it's scientifically wrong and prone to misinterpretation by the media (which was my other main point). So this fact eliminates the possibility of unintended acceleration.

Not slowing fast enough is a known limitation (or reality) of the current autopilot system and can be mitigated by increasing the follow distance and just being an attentive cautious driver. But the accusation of unintended acceleration isn't supported by the OP's description of what happened.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:

I was told initially during the test drive that the numbers 1-7 are car lengths but at pick-up were told it was seconds based on the speed at which the car is going. Full disclosure - haven't read the manual. But, my experience with the car seems to indicate the later.

In bumper to bumper traffic I found that anything over 3 yielded just enough room for crazies to cut in between the cars and actually make it difficult for me as a driver to react let alone AP. So 2 works really well in those situations.

A wise man once told me - "Always operate with the assumption that people are genuine until they prove you wrong; life will be peaceful"
I think a few posters here can take that advice to heart.

Reactions: ohmman
OP: I just got back from a 4800 mile trip and used AutoPilot for most of the highway miles. The only time I saw what you described was when I was catching up with someone on a curve and the car in my lane was not seen by the AP hardware because it wasn't physically in front of me. Were you on a straight road of a curved road? If it was straight, then you might have a hardware problem and you should have the car checked immediately.

All the other systems (MBz, etc) that have been tested to perform worse do not say anything about being in test development.

Also, the other systems that I am aware of don't advertise themselves as in Beta. Which other systems are you aware of that say specifically that they are in beta - and have the drivers essentially beta testers?

One idea to improve this is to have the hazard lights flash while using the beta features - this way is warns other drivers.

It is not just "anyone". A new member with little post history starting a new thread that heaps on non-constructive criticism (rather than suggesting ways for improvement, or asking about ways to avoid a similar situation, it suggests Tesla should have not released the feature at all) raises alarm bells. In this thread, we already have two known Tesla/TSLA naysayers chiming in also. It would be completely different if the comment was written differently and from a well known member.

Note: I'm not saying the OP is not an owner, but that he just happened to fit a profile that draws suspicion.

Solid post....I'd add that OP has 10 posts to date; everyone of them to complain about something about the vehicle: the glass, the AP, etc.

Doesn't add up.....

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I dont believe you have a Tesla.

Since you accused the poster of lying about owning a Tesla, you may want to check out their subsequent post.

So funny to have the typical knee-jerk reactions here: you don't own Tesla, you are a short, you work for "big oil", you hate polar bears and don't care that global warming is killing them. The shoot the messenger has become so predictable here, it has become a parody of itself.

OP, sorry you have to face this here, thanks for posting and hope you get resolution rather than people accusing you of lying.

Reactions: 182RG
Also, the other systems that I am aware of don't advertise themselves as in Beta. Which other systems are you aware of that say specifically that they are in beta - and have the drivers essentially beta testers?

One idea to improve this is to have the hazard lights flash while using the beta features - this way is warns other drivers.
Have the hazard lights flash? Really?

Maybe Tesla is a little more honest about their system than other companies. My experience is that it works as well as most others. An exception would be blind spot detection where I think others are better. Maybe Tesla should remove the Beta label to make you happy. Then again, when have you used Tesla AP?

Since you accused the poster of lying about owning a Tesla, you may want to check out their subsequent post.

So funny to have the typical knee-jerk reactions here: you don't own Tesla, you are a short, you work for "big oil", you hate polar bears and don't care that global warming is killing them. The shoot the messenger has become so predictable here, it has become a parody of itself.

OP, sorry you have to face this here, thanks for posting and hope you get resolution rather than people accusing you of lying.

Not sure why you're so worked up about this. The fact of the matter is that there is a LOT of short selling activity on Tesla and a good deal of the recent media coverage actually references posts from forums like this. I have no vested interest in the company other than the fact that I've got a car coming in the next 6-9 months and I'd like to see them succeed, and even I can smell trolls. Like others have said, he's a new member and he does nothing but complain, with apparently no desire to actually find a solution. Doesn't seem genuine and I don't blame others for saying the same.

Accusing new posters of lying is not the way to build a community of trust.

That just gives the new posters a reason to bail or a reason to start building their ignore list.

Welcome to mine!

I never accused the OP of lying. I explained why, unfortunately, people have become suspicious of new TMC members. Read my posts. I did question why you are on TMC which you didn't answer.

I got Model X 90D in March. About two weeks later, I drove the X to Vegas with my wife and two little girls. After we got on the freeway, I started to use autopilot. The weather condition was great. I set the autopilot at the speed of 80 mph with 5 cars distance. I was very cautious with this Autopilot technology, especially my whole family was in the car, so I kept my eyes on it. It was very amazing when the car drove itself on the freeway at the very beginning, but not too long, I saw the car in front of me was slowing down, but the X continued to accelerate to 80 mph, even though it detected the front car! In the instrument panel, the front car became red and warning beeping sound alarmed, but no sign of auto braking. I immediately brake the car, and fortunately enough to avoid crashing into the front car. It all happened within seconds. My wife called Tesla customer service to report this incident a few minutes later. The service rep on the phone seemed not too surprised and told me he had a similar situation while driving his own S.

We paid $2500 to add autopilot feature, but it's Beta version. When you use beta software in your computer, your computer might crash, not a big deal, you can always restart the computer and uninstall the beta software. But, when the Autopilot is beta, and if it crashes, there is no restart button... Is it Tesla too soon to add autopilot? I think it is.

I'll have to do a test, but I think that type of situation can occur if you are pushing the accelerator down with your foot far enough to override the TACC.

• Informative
Reactions: SR22pilot
he fact of the matter is that there is a LOT of short selling activity on Tesla and a good deal of the recent media coverage actually references posts from forums like this.

Certainly all investors are interested in how well experimental systems like this work. For some, it is a driver to purchase the car. The NTSHA could decide to restrict or ban AutoPilot because of danger to others on the road. The loss of revenue and the need to refund up to 60 million would be material to investors, long or short.

Certainly all investors are interested in how well experimental systems like this work. For some, it is a driver to purchase the car. The NTSHA could decide to restrict or ban AutoPilot because of danger to others on the road. The loss of revenue and the need to refund up to 60 million would be material to investors, long or short.
Perhaps so but I expect it would need to be shown that the system works less well (significantly so) than those from other manufacturers. i haven't seen anything that indicates that is true. Reading the Distronic Plus manual shows the same limitations such as missing stop vehicles or lateral intrusions.

Perhaps so but I expect it would need to be shown that the system works less well (significantly so) than those from other manufacturers. i haven't seen anything that indicates that is true. Reading the Distronic Plus manual shows the same limitations such as missing stop vehicles or lateral intrusions.

The most serious issues are vehicles running into the back of others, not seeing obstacles in front or in blind spot, or running off the road. This type of failure should be reported by all manufacturers to the safety agencies. The consumer could then get a sense how all systems are working on the road.

If the auto braking systems are not reliable, it's a hazard to the person in front of you. It's more than just an individual making a personal judgement on the risk of new technology.

• Disagree
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
The most serious issues are vehicles running into the back of others, not seeing obstacles in front or in blind spot, or running off the road. This type of failure should be reported by all manufacturers to the safety agencies. The consumer could then get a sense how all systems are working on the road.

If the auto braking systems are not reliable, it's a hazard to the person in front of you. It's more than just an individual making a personal judgement on the risk of new technology.

From a Distronic Plus manual:

DISTRONIC PLUS does not react to: • people or animals • stationary obstacles on the road, e.g.
stopped or parked vehicles • oncoming and crossing traffic As a result, DISTRONIC PLUS may neither give warnings nor intervene in such situations.

DISTRONIC PLUS cannot always clearly identify other road users and complex traffic situations.
In such cases, DISTRONIC PLUS may: • give an unnecessary warning and then brake the vehicle
• neither give a warning nor intervene • accelerate unexpectedly There is a risk of an accident.

WARNING

DISTRONIC PLUS brakes your vehicle with up to 40% of the maximum braking force. If this braking force is insufficient, DISTRONIC PLUS warns you visually and audibly. There is a risk of an accident.

From a Distronic Plus manual:

DISTRONIC PLUS does not react to: • people or animals • stationary obstacles on the road, e.g.
stopped or parked vehicles • oncoming and crossing traffic As a result, DISTRONIC PLUS may neither give warnings nor intervene in such situations.

DISTRONIC PLUS cannot always clearly identify other road users and complex traffic situations.
In such cases, DISTRONIC PLUS may: • give an unnecessary warning and then brake the vehicle
• neither give a warning nor intervene • accelerate unexpectedly There is a risk of an accident.

WARNING

DISTRONIC PLUS brakes your vehicle with up to 40% of the maximum braking force. If this braking force is insufficient, DISTRONIC PLUS warns you visually and audibly. There is a risk of an accident.
Yeas, all that may be true, but at least it's not beta. It just, you know, doesn't work if you have other cars, people, animals or objects on the road. But it is not beta!!! /s

Seriously though, the conversation is getting a bit hostile for no good reason. Let's not see a Koch Brother's sleeper agent in everyone who takes issue with something Tesla.

Can we just agree, that:
  • Tesla's AP system is not foolproof, perfect, Level 4 autonomous, but
  • Tesla never claimed it to be, however
  • according to independent tests (like Motor Trend's) it is by far better than anything else currently on the market, so
  • it would be stupid to force Tesla to disable it and let MB, BMW, VW and others keep selling their systems with disclaimers and performance like posted above
  • which doesn't mean that the OP could not have a HW or SW malfunction, or
  • find that a Level 2,5ish system is not trustworthy enough for him personally

I still don't believe you. I can smell internet trolls from a long distance, and you are one.
I really don't want to be playing detective here, but the garage door that is shown in the picture that the OP posted of his car is this thread is not the same one that is in the background of the pictures that he posted about his window bubble issues. Model X Roof Window Bubbles One has a divided light and the other does not. One has rails that are drilled with a bunch of holes and the other is pristine. Not sure what that all means, but worth pointing out.