Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, now I'm not sure about these numbers anymore. Was mainly on the highway today between 65-75 and with the regen off the long offramps the average went down to 362 wh/mile. I haven't averaged lower than that in my month of ownership.

20180914_134324.jpg

Took delivery of my X100D in late September with between 5.5 and 5.6 miles on the odometer.

Standard rims (staggered 20s) with ContiSilents.

Pirelli Scorpion winter tires on second set of standard rims installed sometime in December and removed March 24th or 25th.

Very mixed driving, range mode has always been off.

Not much chance of me remembering to reset the trip meter monthly, but I thought I'd post my lifetime numbers every now and again. Here are the current ones:

8,139.3 mi 3,065.8 kWh 377 Wh/mi

Wh/mi was 380 a week or so ago and has been slowly coming down as the weather has been more mild. I suspect it will start going back up when it gets hot, because I'll use the air conditioner regularly, but I typically only use the heat when it's below freezing. Hopefully I'm wrong and the cold battery makes range worse than the air conditioner, but I guess we'll see.
I've owned my MX for a year already. Time flies. Didn't remember to get readings the morning of the 1 year anniversary, but got them at work that day, so probably pretty close to a year on the nose. No road trips yet, but several valet trips to service early on. Those probably increased my Wh/mi a bit, but hard to say how much. Here were the anniversary readings:

15,634.8 mi 5,330.0 kWh 354 Wh/mi

I'm thinking I should reset my trip A whenever I put the snow tires on this time and again when I take them off to get seasonal readings.

Hi,

I took delivery of my X 100D a month ago with 22” wheels.

Only drive in central London generally with journey times of 20mins on average.

I drive 15miles a day but the range reduces by around 35-40miles (my average Wh mi achieved is around 650), so a 90% charge is lasting me 5days if I’m lucky. I noticed the Wh mi is considerably worse when it’s cold first thing in the morning and heating is on.

Tesla tell me there is nothing wrong with the car and my driving style will change to adapt over the next six months but am I being lied to? Anyone else have very high Wh mi if they only ever do city driving and no highway? 650 seems ridiculously high given the other messages in this thread...

650 most likely because you are in stop and go traffic for short distances. If you actually could keep stretches of consistent speed for some time it would probably be better. I average 800-1000 initially and then it goes down to 400 and less with distance.

Hi,

I drive 15miles a day but the range reduces by around 35-40miles (my average Wh mi achieved is around 650), so a 90% charge is lasting me 5days if I’m lucky. I noticed the Wh mi is considerably worse when it’s cold first thing in the morning and heating is on.

Tesla tell me there is nothing wrong with the car and my driving style will change to adapt over the next six months but am I being lied to? Anyone else have very high Wh mi if they only ever do city driving and no highway? 650 seems ridiculously high given the other messages in this thread...
Sounds likely to be normal. My experience in heavy traffic is the consumption goes way up. Makes sense considering how much more time the A/C or heat are run in the same number of miles. Then there's facts like these:
  • There are inefficiencies in the storing (regen) and recovering of energy from the battery
  • Increasing speed consumes more power than maintaining speed.
So just about everything about in town traffic is going to reduce range in an electric vehicle. You see efficiency reduction in an ICE in similar driving for similar reasons. Hybrids with tiny batteries are an exception to the rule because that battery doesn't do much when you're out on the highway but helps reduce the ICE need a lot when you're stop and go or sitting still.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Hi,

Is your battery warm when you leave in the morning? It's recommended to keeping your car plugged in. It's also recommended to charge for ~30min before you drive so the car isn't using range to initially warm up the battery and heat up the cabin. Oh, and with heat, it's also much more efficient to use the seat and steering wheel heaters rather than heating all the air in the cabin. Remember, there's no hot engine to suck hot air off of to heat the cabin so an EV has to use the energy in the battery to heat up the air.

This is totally normal if you jump in a cold car, crank up the heat, and start driving. ICE cars are also terribly inefficient when cold.

i am running at 454 right now this winter any ideas how to bring this down i was around 330 in the summer
Move to Florida? :p

Seriously though, cold air is much denser and takes more energy to move through. Takes more energy to keep the battery in the proper temperature range too.

Hope it improved over the summer again for you!

Yes, I know this post is old, but I didn't see a reply. It needed some snark. :rolleyes:;)

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond
My 2018 X100D, 20” rims and Contisilent is averaging 401kw/mi, for 2,000 miles. (Seattle area). This doesn’t seem normal, as my 2016 X90D, also with 20s, averaged 320 for over 2 yrs. I haven’t changed my driving habit, if anything been taking it easier with the new one (own it) vs. the old one (leased). Any suggestions?

I'm one week here with my model X. I have driven only 120 miles and only on city. Winter has arrived and with 19" winter tires and temperatures averaging 5°F I'm actually at around 666 kw/mi :)
I've been enjoying the car a little too much and flooring it whenever I can, so all in all, this seems normal. I'll wait till winter is over to draw some conclusion on my first winter with my X. Will reset Trip B for summer and see how it compares after one year. What an amazing car!!!

Reactions: hiroshiy and Anzir
200 miles on new 75d 20" tires and wh/mile at 395. Unsure why its high as this is just city driving. Picking/dropping kids, hop to the freeway for 2 miles and then exit - you get an idea.
City driving is less efficient than highway driving. I believe the misconception that electric vehicles are more efficient in the city may be prevalent due to the way a hybrid configuration skews things. In reality, while physics didn't change and highway driving is more efficient than city driving, hybrids have small batteries that aren't constantly in use, but are able to offset a larger part of the energy cost of city driving due to the frequent regen city driving entails.

ETA: To elaborate a bit, while regen and acceleration are both less efficient than maintaining speed, the regen in a city allows a hybrid's more efficient electronic systems to offset the repeated new acceleration costs, but out on the open highway, the hybrid's less efficient ICE is relied on more heavily (even if some of the ICE waste energy is recaptured by the battery and reused to assist).

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
City driving is less efficient than highway driving. I believe the misconception that electric vehicles are more efficient in the city may be prevalent due to the way a hybrid configuration skews things. In reality, while physics didn't change and highway driving is more efficient than city driving, hybrids have small batteries that aren't constantly in use, but are able to offset a larger part of the energy cost of city driving due to the frequent regen city driving entails.

ETA: To elaborate a bit, while regen and acceleration are both less efficient than maintaining speed, the regen in a city allows a hybrid's more efficient electronic systems to offset the repeated new acceleration costs, but out on the open highway, the hybrid's less efficient ICE is relied on more heavily (even if some of the ICE waste energy is recaptured by the battery and reused to assist).

My WH is constantly high - 390-420 is the range now and I've tried driving in different ways but it just wouldn't come down to 320-350 range as in last 30 miles average and I am sure I dont understand this enough yet.

Once 'departure tax' drain is done am finding consumption in mild weather not to be that bad this 'winter'. 10 degrees C (50 F), keeping up with traffic.

Shortish 37 mile run, but consumption alot lower than what ABR website predicted, note virtually same distance covered in essentially same time.

Got a 240 mile trip coming up New Years day, in the summer I did it non stop in our 75D X, but I don't think am brave enough to try that with lower temps.

31532173227_4533ee9212_z_d.jpg

44658132370_9e301d2898_z_d.jpg