Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How am I doing?
New X
20” tires
Not too hot, not too cold
About half the miles are a round trip SV - Tahoe

6A94C99A-90C1-4B4F-8761-CEC5E5E09ED9.jpeg

I have been getting 364 to 390 watts per mile. I have 22" wheels and I think that is the reason I'm on the high side. Live in Illinois and have only had the car a few months. Weather is starting to cool and as expected the range is dropping.

I'm beginning to regret buying the larger wheels. Have actually been considering buying 20" wheels and use them as snow tires.

I have been getting 364 to 390 watts per mile. I have 22" wheels and I think that is the reason I'm on the high side. Live in Illinois and have only had the car a few months. Weather is starting to cool and as expected the range is dropping.

I'm beginning to regret buying the larger wheels. Have actually been considering buying 20" wheels and use them as snow tires.
I went with 20 inch wheels for ride comfort and efficiency, but I immediately ordered a 20" winter set here as well. You can build a less expensive 20" set on TireRack, for instance, but since I stuck with slipstream wheels to begin with and got a second set of matching OEM wheels and OEM TPMS sensors, the price seemed like a steal to me since I was considering the price of replacement OEM wheels on my previous vehicles. The shop also has a 19" wheel and snow tire option for Model X, but I went with 20" because the 19" wasn't staggered and I wanted to keep as close to identical front and rear circumferences between the two sets since I swap back and forth myself (at the time, there was no option in the MCU to tell it which wheels you have installed, so a bi-annual wheel-hauling trip to the service center might have been necessary with the 19" wheels, I don't know, but do suspect that the wheel option added to the MCU resolves that in addition to changing the vehicle's avatar and estimated range).

I went with 20 inch wheels for ride comfort and efficiency, but I immediately ordered a 20" winter set here as well. You can build a less expensive 20" set on TireRack, for instance, but since I stuck with slipstream wheels to begin with and got a second set of matching OEM wheels and OEM TPMS sensors, the price seemed like a steal to me since I was considering the price of replacement OEM wheels on my previous vehicles. The shop also has a 19" wheel and snow tire option for Model X, but I went with 20" because the 19" wasn't staggered and I wanted to keep as close to identical front and rear circumferences between the two sets since I swap back and forth myself (at the time, there was no option in the MCU to tell it which wheels you have installed, so a bi-annual wheel-hauling trip to the service center might have been necessary with the 19" wheels, I don't know, but do suspect that the wheel option added to the MCU resolves that in addition to changing the vehicle's avatar and estimated range).

I also have 20” and ordered the 19” Tesla snows. I assume it will prompt for tire size like the Model 3 did/does when it sees a different set of TPMS sensors. But it’s a good point you raise. I don’t want to be going to SC either and also DIY swap. Later releases on Model 3 let the user reset TPMS and tire size any time in the UI.

EDIT: @mxnym Changing tire size should not require a trip to service center. See Video below (older Model S, Model 3 was the same, I'm sure Model X has it too). I chose 19" because I prefer to rotate when I can and when those snow tires wear out I have more choices and cheaper choices than going 20" staggered.

Jump to 2:30

Last edited:
Thanks. Did you see the 20" sonic carbon black wheels? Oh man I think I may have to order a set!! I wonder what improvement I will see in efficiency over the 22" wheels I have now.

I also have 20” and ordered the 19” Tesla snows. I assume it will prompt for tire size like the Model 3 did/does when it sees a different set of TPMS sensors. But it’s a good point you raise. I don’t want to be going to SC either and also DIY swap. Later releases on Model 3 let the user reset TPMS and tire size any time in the UI.

EDIT: @mxnym Changing tire size should not require a trip to service center. See Video below (older Model S, Model 3 was the same, I'm sure Model X has it too). I chose 19" because I prefer to rotate when I can and when those snow tires wear out I have more choices and cheaper choices than going 20" staggered.

Jump to 2:30

Without watching the video, I can tell you that my SA at the time told me that they would make the necessary adjustments when I had them change the wheels and suggested having mobile service deal with it for subsequent seasons. However, as I've certainly stated elsewhere, I'm never confident that an SA has any clue what they are talking about. That having been said, I can also tell you that my MX has never prompted me about the changed wheels (as you indicate the 3 apparently does), and I've changed them myself a total of 3 times so far (all before the aforementioned update) with no TPMS problems (other than the initial delay in TPMS detection).

One thing I didn't mention to @John Rucker that I should have is that when you buy the winter tire and wheel set from the Tesla shop, they are shipped to a service center and the first swap is included in the purchase price (at least that's how it was in 2017). That could be important if he is far away from one and doesn't want to go there. That having been said, and again, without watching the video, because if I can't read the information in official Tesla documentation, I'd rather play it safe, my decision was based on not wanting to go to the service center and not wanting to risk extra strain/wear even if the vehicle could deal with it fine (much like a donut spare, when I had a front wheel drive vehicle with a flat tire on the front and a donut spare, I'd move the rear tire to the front and put the donut spare on the rear in spite of the fact that the manufacturer supported running the donut spare on the front).

I've assumed that the TPMS working fine (after an initial delay in detection) is by design, because it seems to take the same procedure as my previous vehicle took when I'd swap to winter wheels with aftermarket sensors that were never paired with the vehicle (drive above a certain speed for a certain amount of time). However, while I think it is unlikely, it is certainly feasibly possible that the TPMS sensors could be paired to the vehicle by the service center and that such pairing could include wheel information to where swapping to 19's and back on your own would be fine because the vehicle would know which wheels were on based on the sensors. Unfortunately, official Tesla documentation outside of the manual is hard to come by and the manual overlooks many things that other vehicle manufacturer's manuals have always included in my experience.

Thanks. Did you see the 20" sonic carbon black wheels? Oh man I think I may have to order a set!! I wonder what improvement I will see in efficiency over the 22" wheels I have now.
I did see that they were an option now, I'm not certain they were available back then, and while my owning an X might imply otherwise, I'm normally pretty frugal, so I wouldn't have gotten them even though they might look better on my silver X. That having been said, I tried to tag you in the post above, but it initially tagged some other John, so you might not have been notified after I fixed it. All I tagged you for was to let you know, in case it would be problematic, that if you order wheels from the Tesla shop, they may have to ship to a service center vs shipping to your home.

Without watching the video, I can tell you that my SA at the time told me that they would make the necessary adjustments when I had them change the wheels and suggested having mobile service deal with it for subsequent seasons. However, as I've certainly stated elsewhere, I'm never confident that an SA has any clue what they are talking about. That having been said, I can also tell you that my MX has never prompted me about the changed wheels (as you indicate the 3 apparently does), and I've changed them myself a total of 3 times so far (all before the aforementioned update) with no TPMS problems (other than the initial delay in TPMS detection).

One thing I didn't mention to @John Rucker that I should have is that when you buy the winter tire and wheel set from the Tesla shop, they are shipped to a service center and the first swap is included in the purchase price (at least that's how it was in 2017). That could be important if he is far away from one and doesn't want to go there. That having been said, and again, without watching the video, because if I can't read the information in official Tesla documentation, I'd rather play it safe, my decision was based on not wanting to go to the service center and not wanting to risk extra strain/wear even if the vehicle could deal with it fine (much like a donut spare, when I had a front wheel drive vehicle with a flat tire on the front and a donut spare, I'd move the rear tire to the front and put the donut spare on the rear in spite of the fact that the manufacturer supported running the donut spare on the front).

I've assumed that the TPMS working fine (after an initial delay in detection) is by design, because it seems to take the same procedure as my previous vehicle took when I'd swap to winter wheels with aftermarket sensors that were never paired with the vehicle (drive above a certain speed for a certain amount of time). However, while I think it is unlikely, it is certainly feasibly possible that the TPMS sensors could be paired to the vehicle by the service center and that such pairing could include wheel information to where swapping to 19's and back on your own would be fine because the vehicle would know which wheels were on based on the sensors. Unfortunately, official Tesla documentation outside of the manual is hard to come by and the manual overlooks many things that other vehicle manufacturer's manuals have always included in my experience.

Staggered wheels are 10x more painful than the 15 seconds it takes to reset tire size yourself. I plan to pickup wheels at SC, to early to mount. Tire size is a Total non issue. My tires will last longer because I can rotate. Smoother and better in potholes. Cheaper to replace. More tire options down the road. Win win win.

• Informative
Reactions: tpduke112
Staggered wheels are 10x more painful than the 15 seconds it takes to reset tire size yourself. I plan to pickup wheels at SC, to early to mount. Tire size is a Total non issue. My tires will last longer because I can rotate. Smoother and better in potholes. Cheaper to replace. More tire options down the road. Win win win.
Sounds great in theory, however:
  1. The staggered sizes in question have different circumferences, so if the vehicle spins the axles at different speeds by design, then you would get more wear in spite of rotation (I assume an OEM that uses staggered tires has engineers that designed the vehicle for them).
  2. When I purchased, there was no option to choose your wheels, so even if the axle speeds can be adjusted to deal with tires of the same circumference, it would have required a trip to the dealer.
  3. Even now that there is an option to change your wheels in the MCU, we don't know whether or not it changes the behavior of the axles, we only know what we can see (does it change the IC) and what the SW update notes stated (it does change the range estimation).
So, as I previously stated, with no good documentation from Tesla, we each made a choice that may or may not be best based on assumptions that may or may not be accurate.

I did see that they were an option now, I'm not certain they were available back then, and while my owning an X might imply otherwise, I'm normally pretty frugal, so I wouldn't have gotten them even though they might look better on my silver X. That having been said, I tried to tag you in the post above, but it initially tagged some other John, so you might not have been notified after I fixed it. All I tagged you for was to let you know, in case it would be problematic, that if you order wheels from the Tesla shop, they may have to ship to a service center vs shipping to your home.
I totally get it (when it comes to being frugal) and was talking big. After a couple days of thinking about it, I don't think I'm going to buy the smaller tires. This is my first winter with the car and If I change the tire size I won't get good comparison between warm and cold weather.

Sounds great in theory, however:
  1. The staggered sizes in question have different circumferences, so if the vehicle spins the axles at different speeds by design, then you would get more wear in spite of rotation (I assume an OEM that uses staggered tires has engineers that designed the vehicle for them).
  2. When I purchased, there was no option to choose your wheels, so even if the axle speeds can be adjusted to deal with tires of the same circumference, it would have required a trip to the dealer.
  3. Even now that there is an option to change your wheels in the MCU, we don't know whether or not it changes the behavior of the axles, we only know what we can see (does it change the IC) and what the SW update notes stated (it does change the range estimation).
So, as I previously stated, with no good documentation from Tesla, we each made a choice that may or may not be best based on assumptions that may or may not be accurate.

It is delivering torque, not RPM's.

You can change tire size on a 2014 Model S, you could always change it on your Model X.

If it was problem Tesla wouldn't be selling non staggered snow package.

EDIT: Just chatted with Tesla. It will prompt for 19", not a problem.

Last edited:
It is delivering torque, not RPM's.

You can change tire size on a 2014 Model S, you could always change it on your Model X.

If it was problem Tesla wouldn't be selling non staggered snow package.

EDIT: Just chatted with Tesla. It will prompt for 19", not a problem.
Torque not RPM may be the answer in the world of electric motors, I wouldn't know.

If it was delivering RPMs, having a non staggered snow package wouldn't be impossible or disprove that scenario, it would only require manipulation at the software level that may or may not be accessible to the end user.

Hello - i am a new owner myself as i took my delivery towards the end of September. I am sure this is raised in other forums but i wanted to log my details and get feedback. I have the standard model with 20" wheel on it.

My average wh per hour is in the range of 266 - 272. However my actual miles are in the range of 180 - 190 for a full charge. My EPA rated range is 255 but on two 100% charges i got the projected range of 242.

I have the range mode on, sentry mode off, preconditioning off, smart summon stand by off but still i am not getting anywhere close 255.

Venkat

955 Wh/mi over 15 miles... I've actually had it over 1000 Wh/mi for a 30 mile stretch before!

Here's what I have on my December 2016 Model X P100DL+ with FSD and 22" wheels... now keep in mind I'm driving 150 miles from Phoenix to Flagstaff on this screenshot... in the 150 miles I could never make it without stopping at a supercharger (there are 3 on the way).

In the past month I've switched to the 20s... it's better but I'll have to calculate it out and take some pics while driving. Would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever recommend 22" wheels for the Model X. Never! They may look cool from the outside but I'm always inside my car driving and not looking at my wheels. I got a full set of brand new (well 300 miles on them or something) 20" dark grey slipstreams wheels with the new tires for $1200 from someone who switched to 22s when they bought their X.

Going back to Phoenix is another story.... I drive the 150 miles on a full charge (271 miles is full charge for me), and arrive with almost 200 miles of range still. So that 150 mi drive only uses about 71 miles of range.

I'll update everyone on how much this changes with the 20s, and will stay at 80mph the entire drive to be realistic. That route just has two killer ascents.

I'd also like to ask a question... can I base my range off of a calculation like this: If I'm at 250Wh/Mi and have a P100DL does that mean 400 miles of range from full to empty? Or is the 100kw battery just the size of the battery but only 70% of that 100kw available? I'd like to just divide 100 by the Wh/mi x 100 to get my range... ie 100kw / 200wh/mi (for math sake) = 500 miles of range? But maybe it's more like 70kw / 350wh/mi = 200 total miles of range? I'm just really curious.

Wow - let me join the "WALL OF SHAME" for my efficiency!!!

IMG_20191001_234120.jpg

Here's my total ascent/descent on this route... from the 'bicycle' directions on Google Maps.

Embassy Condos to Babbitt House - Google Maps.png

Reactions: E Dizzle and Nrazar