Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
955 Wh/mi over 15 miles... I've actually had it over 1000 Wh/mi for a 30 mile stretch before!

Here's what I have on my December 2016 Model X P100DL+ with FSD and 22" wheels... now keep in mind I'm driving 150 miles from Phoenix to Flagstaff on this screenshot... in the 150 miles I could never make it without stopping at a supercharger (there are 3 on the way).

In the past month I've switched to the 20s... it's better but I'll have to calculate it out and take some pics while driving. Would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever recommend 22" wheels for the Model X. Never! They may look cool from the outside but I'm always inside my car driving and not looking at my wheels. I got a full set of brand new (well 300 miles on them or something) 20" dark grey slipstreams wheels with the new tires for $1200 from someone who switched to 22s when they bought their X.

Going back to Phoenix is another story.... I drive the 150 miles on a full charge (271 miles is full charge for me), and arrive with almost 200 miles of range still. So that 150 mi drive only uses about 71 miles of range.

I'll update everyone on how much this changes with the 20s, and will stay at 80mph the entire drive to be realistic. That route just has two killer ascents.

I'd also like to ask a question... can I base my range off of a calculation like this: If I'm at 250Wh/Mi and have a P100DL does that mean 400 miles of range from full to empty? Or is the 100kw battery just the size of the battery but only 70% of that 100kw available? I'd like to just divide 100 by the Wh/mi x 100 to get my range... ie 100kw / 200wh/mi (for math sake) = 500 miles of range? But maybe it's more like 70kw / 350wh/mi = 200 total miles of range? I'm just really curious.

Wow - let me join the "WALL OF SHAME" for my efficiency!!!

View attachment 475649

Here's my total ascent/descent on this route... from the 'bicycle' directions on Google Maps.

View attachment 475648

Going 90mph with that ascent? No wonder!

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle
1st post.. =P

[ Raven MX Performance ].. 350-375 almost daily commuting with approximately 80% highway/tolls.. I've put 12.3k miles on it since June 21st with 5 road trips exceeding 850-2k miles.. So, on road trips I average 305-320 with changes such as Range Mode + Chill.

I also live in flat territory ... Oklahoma.. meh.

I've owned my MX for a year already. Time flies. Didn't remember to get readings the morning of the 1 year anniversary, but got them at work that day, so probably pretty close to a year on the nose. No road trips yet, but several valet trips to service early on. Those probably increased my Wh/mi a bit, but hard to say how much. Here were the anniversary readings:

15,634.8 mi 5,330.0 kWh 354 Wh/mi

I'm thinking I should reset my trip A whenever I put the snow tires on this time and again when I take them off to get seasonal readings.
So I did as above, and then apparently forgot to post:
Here are the readings from December 3rd, 2018 to March 29th, 2019 (winter tires on factory 20's):

4,407.7 mi 1,699.6 kWh 386 Wh/mi

Here are the readings from March 29th, 2019 to December 1st, 2019 (factory tires on factory 20's):

10,516.6 mi 3,331.5 kWh 317 Wh/mi

IIRC, I actually saw the Wh/mi average as low as 311 (I know it was 313 or lower) in October before the cold snap.

ETA, because why not, as I haven't reset my lifetime meter yet, here are my lifetime readings as of December 1st, 2019:

33,982.9 mi 11,768.2 kWh 346 Wh/mi

That's a bit over 2 years of ownership. I might have to reset the lifetime number, because even though I can't understand how it could be relevant, my MCU is starting to get a bit laggy, and people have said that their service centers have told them that resetting both trip meters has resolved that problem, and IIRC, the same people were able to confirm those results in their vehicles.

I have a 2016 Model X P90D with 17000 miles on it and I bought it used when it had 15000 miles. It has 22 inch performance wheels & its been averaging 460 Wh/mile. The car also fully charges only to 230 miles instead of the 250 rated.

Is there something wrong?

I have a 2016 Model X P90D with 17000 miles on it and I bought it used when it had 15000 miles. It has 22 inch performance wheels & its been averaging 460 Wh/mile. The car also fully charges only to 230 miles instead of the 250 rated.

Is there something wrong?
Assuming your numbers are correct, this works out to roughly 8% loss. While I have no inside knowledge, my guess is that it wouldn't be fixed under warranty for an 8% loss. Some degradation over time and use is expected, and from what I've read, most of it happens early in the battery's life, so this could be completely normal. The Model S & X 8 year unlimited mile warranties don't spell out a maximum acceptable degradation. The Model 3's less extensive warranty does. If I were in your situation, I would consider discussing with a service center only after my degradation exceeded that spelled out in the 3 warranty, but with the understanding that wouldn't guarantee I'd like the answer I got from them.

Still after 12,000 miles still getting 453wh/mi on average. MX P100DL VIN 097xxx 2018. Not sure why I get such low range even when I'm driving slow.
Going 90mph with that ascent? No wonder!
Going up the Grape Vine to LA I was getting that type of mileage and I was also going pretty fast. It's really nice how well it takes hills, almost like it's level.

Reactions: Nrazar
Mostly local driving. I route by roads with 40-45 MPH speed limits. I have owned two hybrids before this so have learned how to stretch available power. 6 months of ownership with a little over 4k miles, lifetime wh/mi of 283. Raven Long Range.

Reactions: Cperry
MX 2016 90d, 6 seater, 36k miles on the clock. We had a trip over weekend with 3 persons, fully front trunk and Thule bike trailer with 3 bikes. 80% of the trip speed was around 60mph. The results: 122 miles = 38 kWh. Considering the fact usable battery capacity is 81.8 kWh, we arrive at 262 miles it can be covered under this conditions.
Should the calculation above be wrong above let me know.

MX 2016 90d, 6 seater, 36k miles on the clock. We had a trip over weekend with 3 persons, fully front trunk and Thule bike trailer with 3 bikes. 80% of the trip speed was around 60mph. The results: 122 miles = 38 kWh. Considering the fact usable battery capacity is 81.8 kWh, we arrive at 262 miles it can be covered under this conditions.
Should the calculation above be wrong above let me know.
Wow, that is better than I get with the car empty and no bikes. I also have a 2016 90D and my rated range is 231 miles, but in reality, we don't get much more than 200 and an average 380 Wh/mi. Maybe you had a tailwind?

I find a lot more things are involved than just the driving style and conditions. I do not charge my car every night so there is some charge lost while parked as well (If you are keeping it connected then there is some charge being used when connected but not charging). So, to include all these I use the good old school method of car logs using the Fuelly app and treating 1KWh as 1 litre of fuel. My car's lifetime average considering all losses is presently at 4.18kms per KWh. Taking the present commercial charging rates its half the cost of fuel when compared with my old car that did 11kms per litre of 91Octane. Thus home charging should surely be much cheaper.

Wow, that is better than I get with the car empty and no bikes. I also have a 2016 90D and my rated range is 231 miles, but in reality, we don't get much more than 200 and an average 380 Wh/mi. Maybe you had a tailwind?
Well, a wind was not strong enough that day and a road direction had been changing constantly.
I will carry out more tests for a longer trips and report back.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
Just picked up a 2016 P90d with 45,000 miles and 20's over the weekend. Had to drive up a 5000' ft elevation to get it home, but we are seeing 404 Wh/mi over the first 300 miles. Around town the last few days I've been able to get low 300's if I drive more than 10 miles for the trip. Otherwise it can be close to 500 if it's less than 5 miles. Love the X! 20200524_150825.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Electroman