Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
800 miles in 7 days, mixed driving temps in 80's, AC set to 70 and average 356 wh/mile.
Making a 700 miles trip to Charleston, SC and back next week as my first EV road trip and will see how I do.
I have a gap of 217 miles between the Greenville, SC supercharger and our place in Charleston and hoping I can make it on a full charge as I would like to skip the inconvenient and out of the way Santee Supercharger.

Posted this in another thread (sorry for double post but appropriate for this thread). 775 mile trip, 400 lbs in vehicle, data includes temps, elevation, avg speed, charging time. Limited wind & no rain. Overall average 343 Wh/mi

updated stats.jpg

So I must be doing something wrong...any suggestions?

Just picked up my 90D on Friday. Have taken it out for long drives here in S. Florida. Two different drives on highway...mostly with AP on. averaging anywhere from 70-75mph. I can't break 400Wh/mile.

Now...it was 90+ degrees outside in florida...and the front windows aren't tinted yet...we had to run the front A/C @ fan level 6-8 just to keep from melting inside the car. It was also streaming slacker radio the entire time (how much can that possibly suck?).

does that sound not right to anyone else? I was surprised with the lack of range during these trips...

Leodoc--

SW Florida driver. FWIW: when I first drove my X from Dania Beach I was close to 400. Subsequent, with tire break-in, I can get 350 or so at 70-75. Give it a few weeks of break-in and it should get better (assuming reasonable acceleration and regen).

Also, don't forget that wind and rain impact as well. June's Florida rains will impact Wh/mi.

• Informative
Reactions: 365gtb4 and Leodoc
Leodoc--

SW Florida driver. FWIW: when I first drove my X from Dania Beach I was close to 400. Subsequent, with tire break-in, I can get 350 or so at 70-75. Give it a few weeks of break-in and it should get better (assuming reasonable acceleration and regen).

Also, don't forget that wind and rain impact as well. June's Florida rains will impact Wh/mi.

I appreciate your input. I sure hope you are right. This is gonna be a decently frequent drive for me...and I really want to be able to make the round trip without having to stop @ supercharger. I'm making the drive again this friday...let's see how it goes.

First 200 miles on the car.... 276 Wh/mile

After 2800 or so miles, and a bit more "showing off" average is 316. This includes two trips from Norfolk VA to Charlottesville VA, one trip to Blacksburg VA and the initial trip on delivery from Raleigh to Norfolk. All other travel has been local to the Norfolk area. Car is parked in a city owned parking garage while owner is at work so it is shaded and not subject to bigger AC loads that would occur if parked in the sun. Area is also nice and flat.

As everyone knows, speed and temps really impact efficiency. Another set of data points.

Looking at my trip stats last night (from Teslafi...< beta program originally for S users > is fantastic).

Traveling through GA and SC yesterday temps reached 102-104. Avg. 375 on a run from Savannah to Santee with a combo of low speed due to an accident and then higher speed to catch up ( not posted to protect the innocent ).

At night from Santee to Charlotte area (numerous hills getting to Columbia too), at 82 temps, 64mph, ran 323 Wh/mi (range mode) and delivered 96% of rated range miles.

65mph at reasonable temps seems to be the sweet spot of this vehicle.

Also, Brandon SC is hands down the fastest rate of charging on the trip. At similar vehicle %, Brandon was 47% faster than Ocala and 41% faster than Santee ( SC is in a very hot spot and temps were in low 100's when charging...Ocala also in very hot spot but temps were in low 90's ).

Just picked up my 90D on Friday. Have taken it out for long drives here in S. Florida. Two different drives on highway...mostly with AP on. averaging anywhere from 70-75mph. I can't break 400Wh/mile.

Now...it was 90+ degrees outside in florida...and the front windows aren't tinted yet...we had to run the front A/C @ fan level 6-8 just to keep from melting inside the car. It was also streaming slacker radio the entire time (how much can that possibly suck?).

does that sound not right to anyone else? I was surprised with the lack of range during these trips...
Leo--same thing for me here in AZ. At 115 I pre cool the car and have to run the AC pretty high all the time. I'm averaging 405 since I got the car. About a 200 mile range on 90% charge. Just got the car tinted so I hope that helps reduce the AC need.

On a long trip I noticed the sunshade, range mode and going about 5mph slower than I want really helps.

I noticed an improvement after the first 1,300 miles. My X is at Tampa SC currently so I cannot provide exact Wh/m but it was around 360wh/m going 75-80mph on my last 130mile trip, I had 97 miles remaining after a full charge. I noticed you have the 22" wheels, remember you will use up about 10-15% more WH/m in the same conditions. Good news is, things get better after "break-in" period. FL weather is a factor, this last trip was clear no rain, temp was high 80's low 90's. Before this trip, and for the first 500 miles I was using 380-400 WH/m. I did get struck by a rock on my way up to Tampa though, "some windshield pitting" :mad: will have to live with it for now. Drive safe!

• Helpful
Reactions: Leodoc