Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome info. Thanks everyone for posting.

Heard you can only access about 85% of battery capacity, so 90KW battery gives 76.5KW of accessible energy. Any truth to this? I'm not talking about charging to 80%, I'm saying if you charge to 100%, the car restricts access to full power. Any truth?

If that was the case on 76.5KW average mid 350wh/mile = 218 of actual range. 90KW would get the rated 257 range.

Accurate for current drivers? Access to all 90kw or is it true there's a 15% inaccessible portion?

The rated Wh/Mile appears to 324 Wh/Mile in my car (P90DL).

I doubled checked my video & notes from the testing and see that I entered the wrong number here. The rated is actually 335 wh/mile. This was determined by using energy graph and getting the actual range to overlap the rated range line over numerous tests. I am pretty confident in the number as you can see the actual range move above or below the rate range line with slight changes to the actual range. Using the rated 335 Wh/mile and the EPA range of 250, you use 83,750 watts of battery power or 93% of the 90kw battery, leaving a 7% reserve.

IMG_3103.JPG IMG_3107.JPG 384 Wh/mi on a 116 mile trip to SC, with mostly highway driving at 78mph with average temps around 80 degrees.
Comparatively, a 85S loaner got 350 Wh/mi on same route back with temps at 90 degrees.

btw: mostly AP or CC....

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed
I did some additional testing of the effect of speed upon range.
Rated Range: 250 miles - 335 Wh/Mile
55 MPH Range: 259 miles - 323 Wh/Mile
65 MPH Range: 229 miles - 366 Wh/Mile
75 MPH Range: 201 miles - 417 Wh/Mile

Great data. I have noticed that the Model X range drops really quickly when driving 80+ MPH. More so than the S. Which makes sense, given the X has a much bigger frontal area.

Given this effect (and range drops even faster if you are towing, of course), I was disappointed when Tesla only bumped the battery from 85 to 90 kWh. It isn't enough of a bump for an SUV.

@MattXowner -- yeah, its true.
I've been keeping a log of the change in % battery, kwH consumed, and miles driven for the past few weeks.
For any given % battery change, the # of miles driven will obviously depend heavily on your driving habits.
For any given % battery change, the kwH consumed also varies a little bit. Overall, though, if you calculate out the size of a "full" battery, you only get 75-80 kwh.

With my personal driving habits, you tend to get around 210-230 miles for 100% charge...

Awesome info. Thanks everyone for posting.

Heard you can only access about 85% of battery capacity, so 90KW battery gives 76.5KW of accessible energy. Any truth to this? I'm not talking about charging to 80%, I'm saying if you charge to 100%, the car restricts access to full power. Any truth?

If that was the case on 76.5KW average mid 350wh/mile = 218 of actual range. 90KW would get the rated 257 range.

Accurate for current drivers? Access to all 90kw or is it true there's a 15% inaccessible portion?

Another set of data points across Alligator Alley (I-75) today (116miles) on CC (85S) or AP (90X) with speed at 78mph:
85S averaged 342WH/mile....lost minimal range miles
90X averaged 424WH/mile (averaged 384 earlier in week).....hit the back end of a storm with minimal rain but lots of cross wind. lost substantial range miles. Calculated would have only been able to achieve 193miles at that pace if fully charged.

• Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed
Just a note that there will be a slight skew in the metrics for those of us whose vehicles have sat for days...yea verily weeks in Tesla Service Center and or detail shops. All told, IF I get mine back this Thursday, mine will have been depleting for over 30 days since March 17....OUCH. I don't remember what mine was reading for aggregate travel before she departed for the latest work. Probably out an additional day for front side window tinting. MIGHT do the front windshield, but only if another local person does it due to the amount of material needed and the way the shop has to order the tint.

Just a note that there will be a slight skew in the metrics for those of us whose vehicles have sat for days...yea verily weeks in Tesla Service Center and or detail shops. All told, IF I get mine back this Thursday, mine will have been depleting for over 30 days since March 17....OUCH. I don't remember what mine was reading for aggregate travel before she departed for the latest work. Probably out an additional day for front side window tinting. MIGHT do the front windshield, but only if another local person does it due to the amount of material needed and the way the shop has to order the tint.

As far as I know, Tesla has never included in the displayed Wh/mi values the parasitic loads that drain the battery when the car is not being driven.

The first 500 miles in my Model X Signature P90D were on 22" OEM turbine wheels with stock Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires: average consumption was 400 Wh/mi, on the nose. To be fair, the weather was cold and wet and sometimes snowy during that time.

Then I put on the TSportline 20" staggered turbine wheels with Nokian WR G3 all-season tires, and after 1700 miles total my lifetime average has fallen to 372 Wh/mi. The most recent 200 miles on the 20s (suburban driving, warmer weather) has averaged 332 Wh/mi.

The first 500 miles in my Model X Signature P90D were on 22" OEM turbine wheels with stock Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires: average consumption was 400 Wh/mi, on the nose. To be fair, the weather was cold and wet and sometimes snowy during that time.

Then I put on the TSportline 20" staggered turbine wheels with Nokian WR G3 all-season tires, and after 1700 miles total my lifetime average has fallen to 372 Wh/mi. The most recent 200 miles on the 20s (suburban driving, warmer weather) has averaged 332 Wh/mi.
Thanks for that. Are the Scorpion Zero's, the "Assimetrico" All Season versions? I know some early Sigs came with those before they switched to the summer performance tires on all the P90D's. If so, that's very likely the tire/wheel combinations I will be using.