Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if 19 inch wheels would offer any range advantage (or ride/noise advantage) over 20 inch. They would certainly be less prone to curb rash. I am averaging about 370 Wh/mi over about 5k miles on 20 inch wheels in my P90D with a lead foot.
Thats really good! Any idea what your average mph is? I can't get below 400Wh/mi after 10,000 miles. Mostly hwy @ 75mph on 20" wheels.

Thats really good! Any idea what your average mph is? I can't get below 400Wh/mi after 10,000 miles. Mostly hwy @ 75mph on 20" wheels.

400wh/mi on 20's? Ouch, that's like 205 miles on a full charge. What tires are on your 20's the conti-silents or summer tires?

Even when driving 75-80mph in the model S, I can get low 300's or even in the 280-290's depending on AC usage. Which is within rated range. City driving and short trips use more energy to cool the car all the time. But highway driving is usually where I get the best efficiency.

400wh/mi on 20's? Ouch, that's like 205 miles on a full charge. What tires are on your 20's the conti-silents or summer tires?

Even when driving 75-80mph in the model S, I can get low 300's or even in the 280-290's depending on AC usage. Which is within rated range. City driving and short trips use more energy to cool the car all the time. But highway driving is usually where I get the best efficiency.
I have the Michelins. Routinely drive 75-80 in the low 400's. I will check my tire pressures but my overall average is 400Wh/mi.

I have noticed my MX is a lot more inefficient than my MS. I never checked my wh/mi on the MS because I seemed to get about the milage that was estimated by the charge.
I live in Florida drive about 80 miles a day 80% highway. I seem to average about 350 wh/mi which translates to losing about 20 extra miles than expected. So if I start with 230 mile then I'll end up with about 130 miles left instead of the expected 150.
I'm glad I got the 90d battery instead of the 75d I considered.

Hmmmm....
75-80mph is a pretty energy inefficient speed (though it may be very time efficient). On my 90D with 20s, I am rarely on highways, so my average speed is in the 40mph sweet zone until I go on road trips. I also live in a comfortable climate where I'm infrequently using climate control. Though, with winter coming, I will likely run heat in the mornings at a minimum.

Your consumption numbers are high, but I don't think out of range for the speeds that you travel. I'm willing to bet you exceed 80 at times as well, if you consider 75-80 as your average. Things get wildly inefficient as you speed up. But again, so long as it's safe on the roads you travel, that might be a worthwhile trade-off.

75-80mph is a pretty energy inefficient speed (though it may be very time efficient). On my 90D with 20s, I am rarely on highways, so my average speed is in the 40mph sweet zone until I go on road trips. I also live in a comfortable climate where I'm infrequently using climate control. Though, with winter coming, I will likely run heat in the mornings at a minimum.

Your consumption numbers are high, but I don't think out of range for the speeds that you travel. I'm willing to bet you exceed 80 at times as well, if you consider 75-80 as your average. Things get wildly inefficient as you speed up. But again, so long as it's safe on the roads you travel, that might be a worthwhile trade-off.
This. Speed kills (range).

I found this out the hard way the last time I drove to Spokane from Seattle. An unusual cross headwind and cruise set at about 80 for half the stretch between the Ellensburg SC and the Ritzville SC meant I either wasn't going to make it or I had to reduce my speed to under 55 to make it. One big mistake I made was not setting the nav to Ritzville when I left Ellensburg because I'd charged to about 30% more than I needed and I'd done this run a few times already. BIG mistake! Partway I decided to input the destination in the nav (which took forever due to me moving and the poor cell signal out there). Once it connected it tried to route me to a Destination Charger at a local winery because I wasn't going to make it to Ritzville.

Long story short, I slowed down, carefully monitored my range left (which oddly still showed I had an extra 15-20% range buffer) and started looking for a semi to follow (of course now there weren't ANY). I finally found a slow(ish) Winnebago to follow and made it to Ritzville with 2 miles to spare. D'oh!

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle
Drove 250 miles today, 100 miles at 75mph Wh/mi was @ 399-430 then I drove 150 miles @ 70mph and got 380-410 Wh/mi. I know speed hurts range but Im wondering if there is something else at play. I'm hearing others driving ~70mph with better consumption numbers. Still need to check tire Pressure.

I'm finding that wind and rain have a huge impact. Also, temperature extremes. If you don't have anyone in the third row, turn off the rear climate control - it makes a significant difference and there is no need to have it on. The front unit serves the second row, The rear unit is only for the third row.

(Moved from separate thread)

After spending a couple of months logging data on TeslaFi.com for my Model X, across a range of temperature conditions here in New England, I've started to develop some data on how energy consumption varies at different outside temperatures in my car. I'm a pretty average driver (average 314 Wh/mi -- slightly better than EPA rating) and while the Boston area isn't by any means mountainous, it isn't flat, either. As they say, though, your mileage may vary.

First of all, here an example of the temperature efficiency chart that TeslaFi shows me for the last 5,000 miles of driving:
temperatureefficiency-drivesover1mile-png.200256

You can see that the "sweet spot" for my car is 60 to 70 F, which of course is when I'm least likely to be using climate control (or at least it isn't working very hard). I only had one short drive over 100 F, but that drive burned through nearly 600 Wh/mile as I had the A/C cranked. But in any event, any temperature above 90 F seemed to really hit efficiency -- especially on short drives.

Which leads directly to the next analysis -- how do these numbers vary by length of drive? TeslaFi will produce this chart for drives over 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles, 25 miles, and 50 miles. So I took those different drive distances and graphed them. Here's what I saw:
temperatureefficiencychart-png.200257

Interestingly, on the longer drives efficiency was fairly flat in the 60 to 90 degree range, which suggests to me that a great deal of the energy consumption penalty I was seeing on shorter hot-weather drives was in the initial cooling of the car rather than later in the trip. I'll be interested to watch this over time.

In any event, I thought I'd share this data, though it pretty much matches the anecdotal evidence being recounted by other TMC drivers.

I'd be curious to see what others' temperature efficiency profiles look like -- especially in other climates and driving conditions.

(Shout-out to the great work that @Jdeck has done with TeslaFi.com -- making this analysis possible.)

(Moved from separate thread)

After spending a couple of months logging data on TeslaFi.com for my Model X, across a range of temperature conditions here in New England, I've started to develop some data on how energy consumption varies at different outside temperatures in my car. I'm a pretty average driver (average 314 Wh/mi -- slightly better than EPA rating) and while the Boston area isn't by any means mountainous, it isn't flat, either. As they say, though, your mileage may vary.

First of all, here an example of the temperature efficiency chart that TeslaFi shows me for the last 5,000 miles of driving:
temperatureefficiency-drivesover1mile-png.200256

You can see that the "sweet spot" for my car is 60 to 70 F, which of course is when I'm least likely to be using climate control (or at least it isn't working very hard). I only had one short drive over 100 F, but that drive burned through nearly 600 Wh/mile as I had the A/C cranked. But in any event, any temperature above 90 F seemed to really hit efficiency -- especially on short drives.

Which leads directly to the next analysis -- how do these numbers vary by length of drive? TeslaFi will produce this chart for drives over 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles, 25 miles, and 50 miles. So I took those different drive distances and graphed them. Here's what I saw:
temperatureefficiencychart-png.200257

Interestingly, on the longer drives efficiency was fairly flat in the 60 to 90 degree range, which suggests to me that a great deal of the energy consumption penalty I was seeing on shorter hot-weather drives was in the initial cooling of the car rather than later in the trip. I'll be interested to watch this over time.

In any event, I thought I'd share this data, though it pretty much matches the anecdotal evidence being recounted by other TMC drivers.

I'd be curious to see what others' temperature efficiency profiles look like -- especially in other climates and driving conditions.

(Shout-out to the great work that @Jdeck has done with TeslaFi.com -- making this analysis possible.)
@BizJet, do you have "loud AC"? One thing I noticed was that when my swapped compressor lines were fixed, and my AC went from screaming jet to normal, my consumption went down significantly, especially in very hot temperatures.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
I have noticed my MX is a lot more inefficient than my MS. I never checked my wh/mi on the MS because I seemed to get about the milage that was estimated by the charge.
I live in Florida drive about 80 miles a day 80% highway. I seem to average about 350 wh/mi which translates to losing about 20 extra miles than expected. So if I start with 230 mile then I'll end up with about 130 miles left instead of the expected 150.
I'm glad I got the 90d battery instead of the 75d I considered.

I have noticed the big difference in wh/mile (even after discounting for 22" tires) between Model S and my Model X under the same driving conditions. I have not seen wh/mile average below 398 even driving very gently at 2600 miles so far. I wonder whether MX batteries are different than MS.