Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that today's high was 7F and we drove 25 min to town our average WH Per Mils was in the mid 450's. Even after we set the car to precondition the batteries and we heat up the car (Defrost on high) while plugged in while in the garage before we leave. So in the summer at 80% charge we would be around 185 miles, but now at 90 % charge we are seeing less than 150 mile range. Just an FYI.

Half the year on LA Freeways, other half on the Oregon coast.
9ACCF7D2-63D9-48DB-B51B-F0EC47132867.jpeg

Reactions: alangrig and sorka
2017 MX 75D with 58,000 miles on it. A healthy mix of short, medium, and long trips over the years. I'm showing 365 Wh/Mile in Tesla Fi overall and looking at my largest trip meter it shows that for the past 9,840 Miles I've averaged 351 Wh/Mile.

I live in the Southern US so I get *some* cool weather usually hovering just under freezing in the winter. Beyond that only the occasional trip up to Canada to experience "real" snow and cold weather.

2018 MX 100D 20" wheels. 347 wh/m over the 2558 miles I've driven it, 339 past 1400 miles (trip B). I live in the mountains it snowed 2 days ago and it's June. I have plenty of fun with the acceleration and probably mash it to the floor more often than I should. It's rarely more than 50 degrees (F) in the garage in the morning, and I usually don't schedule departure.

2017 MX 100D with 20” wheels. 342 Wh/mile over 61,500 miles. It has gotten slightly better with time, I think maybe due to me increasing typical tire air pressure from 42 psi to 45 psi.

Mostly a long trip car, used in variety of temps. Here’s my plot from Teslafi as a function of outside temp. To get 100% (actual mile per rated mile), the car display needs to be between 310 and 320 Wh/mile.
D6B758E2-E580-41B7-8243-6FFA706900AF.jpeg

271 Wh/mile on X Plaid I guess is pretty good. Short trips with climate control on will increase consumption substantially, but on longer trips AC should have no more than 10% hit.
I think that it's more than 10% but I could be wrong.. I have not done any longer trips in the car yet.. Most miles on my car were done in not so hot temperatures late evening or early morning without AC. Around town, it's like 30 - 40% more consumption with the AC on here in Florida..
My commute often has slow downs, so I don't average more than like 55 mph on the way to work which usually gets me 240 wh/mile on my commute to work. Autopilot is set to 75 mph on the Highway (my commute is 95% highway) but I get to go 75 mph only for about 1/3 of my commute.. The rest of it is between 40 and 50 mph due to slow downs.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
but on longer trips AC should have no more than 10% hit.

I think that it's more than 10% but I could be wrong..
I don’t have any way to quantify the exact effect of ac, but my observations over the past 4+ years with my 2017 MX is that it is negligible. I have made many trips during the summer in 80 to 95 F temperatures with the ac amply on, and actual miles approximately equaled rated miles. Thus I conclude no notable impact.

Heat during winter is a different story.

Reactions: Electroman
I don’t have any way to quantify the exact effect of ac, but my observations over the past 4+ years with my 2017 MX is that it is negligible. I have made many trips during the summer in 80 to 95 F temperatures with the ac amply on, and actual miles approximately equaled rated miles. Thus I conclude no notable impact.

Heat during winter is a different story.
I don't have any good data on longer highway trips yet but around town, I do the same drives many times per week.. To go to my favorite lunch place (18 mile round trip), I average about 260 wh/mile without AC. With AC, I average about 380 wh/mile for the same exact trip with the same exact driving style. It is a trip through town with several lights and 35 to 45 mph limit (and I'm usually 5 - 10 mph above the limit). I do maximize regen by avoiding the brake pedal. 99%+ of my driving is one pedal driving. Use of friction brakes has a significant impact on efficiency..

I think that it's more than 10% but I could be wrong.. I have not done any longer trips in the car yet.. Most miles on my car were done in not so hot temperatures late evening or early morning without AC. Around town, it's like 30 - 40% more consumption with the AC on here in Florida..
My commute often has slow downs, so I don't average more than like 55 mph on the way to work which usually gets me 240 wh/mile on my commute to work. Autopilot is set to 75 mph on the Highway (my commute is 95% highway) but I get to go 75 mph only for about 1/3 of my commute.. The rest of it is between 40 and 50 mph due to slow downs.
When you turn the A/C off, do you open the windows? Open windows substantially increase the drag. Also the A/C may already be on to cool the battery. Driver has no control over battery cooling.

I am encouraged by your energy readings. Even if I drive as slow as a steady 55 Mph, my energy consumption struggles to get below 300 Wh/mile. I have an alignment scheduled for next week.

I think he’s right. I suspect it’s even less than 10% for long trips. At least in NewEngland temps it is.

When you turn the A/C off, do you open the windows? Open windows substantially increase the drag. Also the A/C may already be on to cool the battery. Driver has no control over battery cooling.

I am encouraged by your energy readings. Even if I drive as slow as a steady 55 Mph, my energy consumption struggles to get below 300 Wh/mile. I have an alignment scheduled for next week.
Drivers window is about 8 inches open. All other windows closed. I doubt that battery cooling is needed on my commute as temperature in the morning is in the mid 70's and when moving at 40+ mph speeds, that's more than sufficient. I'm not a very heat or cold sensitive person.. If my family is in the car, the AC is on at full blast but when I'm alone in the car, I usually don't turn on the AC unless it's 90's outside. BTW, my efficiency took a big hit today as I took a co-worker for a spin and I showed off the performance... My average instantly skyrocketed :D even though it was only a quick 40 to 120 pull... Planning a drag strip visit soon.. that will kill my average..

• Funny
Reactions: Falcon73