Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STL weather is pretty much exactly like Florida weather in the summer, without the beach access, and that's exactly how I use mine, AC is usually off when I'm alone in the morning, usually commuting on surface streets rather than highway, so my "alone-time" commuting consumption is often below 250wh/mi. Today it was 230 with the AC on, but I pre-cooled it a bit so that's cheating

But I've noticed similar consumption using AC. If you're parked outside in the sun on a hot day, hooked up to a level 2 charger, you can see the charge time go to infinity occasionally because the AC system uses on the order of FIVE to TEN kw, all on its own, unless you're recirculating

I think consumption from AC is pretty high on Model X because A) it's big, B) it has two cooling circuits for front and rear, and an extra fan compared to other Teslas, C) the glass is a source of a lot of heat flux, and the X has more of it than just about anything D) the huge door holes have huge seals that do not seal perfectly. It's a big fat luxury car with big fat luxury energy demands.

For my long range plus 7-seater, when it's 100+ heat index like it is right now, running the AC is every bit as bad as running the heat in sub-25 degree temps. At least humans provide their own heat. A recent road trip with AC blasting on five warm blooded mammals was about ~360wh/mi at 80mph

Heat rejection film on all the glass is something I'm planning on doing at some point, right now I just have the front windows tinted to match the rears, and the amount of heat you feel through the back glass compared to the front windows with film on them is pretty markedly worse. I have had 85% film (almost clear) on my BMW and really like it, huge difference.

And, as an update, after 25,000 miles and some change, still averaging 309 wh/mi on mine. With a couple road trips peppered in there in May and June, the May-June 2200 miles was 303. April was 292 and 913 miles. March was 1700 miles (had a 450 mile road trip) and 320. So, yeah. Goin' good, for a fat pig.

Last edited:
67k on the clock.

Test 1:
conditions: 68F outside, inside 60F, speed around 60mph-70mph, side and front cross wind.
results: covered 190 miles, energy used 59 kW, departure state of charge 95%, arrival state of charge 19%.
opinion: Considering the battery is already degraded down to 75-77kW, you can cover under such conditions around 245 miles. Considering EPA testing conditions, you can easily reach originally stated range.

IMG_4332.jpeg

Test 2:
conditions: 73F outside, inside 72F (auto), speed 1/2 route 68-70mph, 1/2 route 85-90mph, side and front cross wind.
results: covered 203 miles, energy used 66 kW, departure state of charge 100%, arrival state of charge 10%.
opinion: considering the battery is already degraded down to 75-77kW, you can cover under such conditions around 230 miles, which is pretty solid in comparison to EPA testing conditions.

IMG_4409.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
2022 Model X LR 20” wheels. We’ve driven 1,280 miles, and so far averaged 332 Wh/mi.

It’s been steadily coming down since we took delivery early June. I started tracking this info during our first road trip late June when we noticed what seemed to be excessive energy usage. Driving into a gusty headwind at 75mph exceeded 464 Wh/mi. Driving small city streets slow on a very hot late afternoon after a long days drive saw over 500 Wh/mi. That trip of 485 miles ended up averaging 367 Wh/mi overall.

But this month we’re seeing much better energy consumption. Some short local trips have averaged under 300 Wh/mi which we are quite pleased with. A recent 189 mile day trip was only 283 Wh/mi.

Generally driving in quite hot conditions. Temps often 95F+ and even 99-102F is common. Rarely exceed 67 mph on highway these days.

Good to find this thread. I’ve been trying to get a gage of charge loss when not driving, as well as general overhead in a given trip - miles lost in terms of range versus actual miles driven.

2016 P90D just back from the SC where "Everything is in within normal operation, but you are a little above average"

🙄🙄🙄

Turns out, after the SC did the aft lower control arms in front, they never properly validated alignment.

They also failed to identify the fore lower arms needed replacing as well. The bushings were literally ripped open.

Independent local shop took care of that, got me back into alignment, and had to replace my tires that went from 5/32 to destroyed in 800mi of driving, and I'm back down to a mixed city/highway average of 360wh/mi

Not sure if this is the right sub forum, but here goes. Picking up X LR over the weekend and then leaving it at home for 10 days. Do I charge to 80% and leave it to idle. Or do I plug in and if so at what soc? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Not sure if this is the right sub forum, but here goes. Picking up X LR over the weekend and then leaving it at home for 10 days. Do I charge to 80% and leave it to idle. Or do I plug in and if so at what soc? Any tips would be much appreciated!
Reading this thread may help you. They talk quite a bit about OK charges for cars to sit at, etc. What is considered a "long trip" when considering charging to 100%?

Otherwise your question needs to start a new thread. It will be lost here.

• Helpful
Reactions: jkhanesq
If it's possible, plug it in and set charging limit up to 50%. Any li-ion battery being kept for long idle period should be kept at 50%. If you don't have a chance to plug it in, just charge up to 80% and park it with sentry mode off.

• Helpful
It's only been a couple weeks since we have had our MX, but it's looking like around 370 Wh/Mile is the average.

I am a conservative driver so I hope I can do better. It has been super hot and my wife likes it cool when I pick her up from work, so that may not be helping.
  • 2017 (December build date)
  • 75D
  • 22" Wheels - I'm sure this doesn't help
  • Chill mode always
  • Low Regen
  • 32.7k miles

I'm using TeslaFi, but I don't see a way to get the overall average on that.

Did you guys watch Out of Spec 22 LR efficiency and range test?

How do you reconcile EPA range 348m car giving no more 331 miles (Tesla X) while a 280m rated BMW giving 339 miles on the same road with similar conditions? It baffles the mind. X is more efficient than the iX but it’s not using the full 100 w pack.
Thoughts?

How do you reconcile EPA range 348m car giving no more 331 miles (Tesla X) while a 280m rated BMW giving 339 miles on the same road with similar conditions? It baffles the mind. X is more efficient than the iX but it’s not using the full 100 w pack.
Thoughts?
Perhaps, Your Mileage May Vary? :cool:

Thoughts?
A) the air density at a mile high and 100* is very different from sea level at 40 degrees.
B) It's not a 100kwh pack, more like 97-99 from new. Old Long Range + was around 103 new, but would probably not do 331 miles at 70 mph.
C) it's a highway test, Tesla range ratings are for mixed driving in ideal conditions.
D) It was probably already in the 2-3% battery degradation range.

• Informative
A) the air density at a mile high and 100* is very different from sea level at 40 degrees.
B) It's not a 100kwh pack, more like 97-99 from new. Old Long Range + was around 103 new, but would probably not do 331 miles at 70 mph.
C) it's a highway test, Tesla range ratings are for mixed driving in ideal conditions.
D) It was probably already in the 2-3% battery degradation range.
B&C make a lot of sense and thanks for pointing it out. D, I don’t agree much with since it’s a brand new (ish) new X, there shouldn’t be that high a degradation. Im hoping my 22 X will degrade no more than 2% after 5 years of driving (wishful thinking perhaps).