Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Base Sound System Better than Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
My 2014 Model S base sound system was just okay. Nothing special. On the other hand, the base sound system in my Model X is a great deal better. So much better that I wonder if they accidentally gave me the UHFS in my Model X. It sounds incredibly good.

Is there a way to tell which sound system is actually installed in my X? Is it different than the base S system?

Has anyone else noticed that the base X system is better than the base S system?

We test drove an X with the upgraded audio - we stopped and listened pretty carefully and changed the surround modes etc. The sales staff were trying to get us to listen to slacker over the internet, but it did not sound good no matter how we adjusted. I think that sometimes you put crud in you get crud out with internet radio. Anyway, we were not impressed with the sound quality we could get from internet radio over the premium X system at normal volumes. We did not listen to any Model S systems to compare.

We ordered the standard system in our X, and listening over HD FM radio I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality for low audio volumes (6 or less) any higher and there is some distortion. Anyway, one easy way to tell if you are listening to the premium system in the X is that it has the dolby option with center speaker - standard system just has equalizer Bass Mid Treb with no dolby option for center speaker. Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
FWIW I tested both premium and standard back to back on X. The prem def sounds richer with more punch, but the standard sounded good enough. I did get a model S loaner and that sounds horrible with the base system.