TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Base Sound System Better than Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gavine, Sep 28, 2016.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

My 2014 Model S base sound system was just okay. Nothing special. On the other hand, the base sound system in my Model X is a great deal better. So much better that I wonder if they accidentally gave me the UHFS in my Model X. It sounds incredibly good.

Is there a way to tell which sound system is actually installed in my X? Is it different than the base S system?

Has anyone else noticed that the base X system is better than the base S system?

2. outie

outie Member

The base sound system in the X is better than the one in S. Many people say the base in X is as good as the upgraded audio in S.

3. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Yeah, thanks for clarifying. It really is a lot better. I'm very impressed with it. I guess the X has more room to put speakers and they took advantage of it.

4. G77P

G77P Member

We test drove an X with the upgraded audio - we stopped and listened pretty carefully and changed the surround modes etc. The sales staff were trying to get us to listen to slacker over the internet, but it did not sound good no matter how we adjusted. I think that sometimes you put crud in you get crud out with internet radio. Anyway, we were not impressed with the sound quality we could get from internet radio over the premium X system at normal volumes. We did not listen to any Model S systems to compare.

We ordered the standard system in our X, and listening over HD FM radio I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality for low audio volumes (6 or less) any higher and there is some distortion. Anyway, one easy way to tell if you are listening to the premium system in the X is that it has the dolby option with center speaker - standard system just has equalizer Bass Mid Treb with no dolby option for center speaker. Hope that helps.

• Informative x 1
  5. outie

outie Member

FWIW I tested both premium and standard back to back on X. The prem def sounds richer with more punch, but the standard sounded good enough. I did get a model S loaner and that sounds horrible with the base system.

6. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

Tesla Model X's speakers system has a smoother frequency response and a slightly more powerful OEM amp. I think that is the reason.