TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Battery Charge Questions

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by GaryBowler, Mar 23, 2018.

1. GaryBowler

GaryBowler Member

1. Is it okay to fully charge the battery the night before if I'm planning to drive locally all day the next day?
    2. While charging, should running the A.C., heat, or other accessories be kept at a minimum?

Much appreciated!

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

1. There’s no reason to charge to 100% if you’re only driving it locally the next day, unless you’re really needing that range for local driving. Try to stick to 90% charge for local driving, but it if you really need the 100% range then charge so it finishes soon before you start driving.
    2. No problem running anything while charging. It’s called using “shore power”, where the energy to pre-heat or pre-cool the car is coming from the wall, not using up the battery.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. lymex2018

lymex2018 Member

If you running A.C or others while charging, the charging speed will be slow because the limit is the total power.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It will not be slow. The difference is minimal.

• Like x 1
  5. David99

David99 Active Member

Fully charging (100%) before a longer drive (local or long distance) is perfectly fine. If you need the range, use it by charging to 100%. Charging to 100% every day is a little more detrimental to the battery. If I know I need to drive more than 170 miles the next day I charge to 100% the night before. If it's less than that I only charge to 90% or 80% depending. But keep in mind, winter driving uses more energy.

You can use the heater or AC as much as you like while charging. There is no negative effect in any way. It takes up a part of the energy so charging will take a little longer. Worst case scenario: in extreme winter conditions when the car is cold soaked, the heater (and battery heater) will extend charging time by about 30-50 min. That's an extreme case, though. In most cases you will hardly notice a difference in charge time.

• Like x 1
  6. GaryBowler

GaryBowler Member

Thanks so much, David! And I very much appreciate your detailed response and making it easy to understand to a rookie like me that has 10 days of MX ownership under his belt!

• Like x 2
  7. GaryBowler

GaryBowler Member

Very interesting! Was not aware of this phenomenon. Thanks again!

• Like x 1
  8. GaryBowler

GaryBowler Member

Okay - much appreciated!

• Like x 1
  9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

It's a nautical term. Or that's how it originated.

Shorepower - Wikipedia

• Like x 1