Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model x battery trailer idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Concept 4: Aerodynamics + collapsible camper. If the camper’s cross section is no bigger than the tow vehicle and you can efficiently shroud the gap between the tow vehicle and the trailer, the cruising efficiency of the rig will be significantly better.

In Alaska we have the highest RV (and airplane) ownership, that is per population. We pull a 22’ 7000lb TT with a 590w solar set up. I met a guy last summer that pulls an rPod with a model X p100 I talked to him for a while around the campfire since we had the 3 on order. We had a discussion similar to this. He says 160-180 miles is the max he feels comfortable with when towing his camper. There are no super chargers in Alaska (we now have 3 plug shares!) and the best places to charge on the road is at campgrounds. So when he gets where he is going he plugs in the car and the camper.

Now if something like the rpod had an additional 85-100kw li battery that would connect via cable when in travel he could double his range back to ~300 miles. rpods are ~$25-30k so add another ~$20k+.

Personally I would think about spending $50-60k for that rig. But Tesla has to make the truck first.

The trailer would be more valuable (and affordable) as a rental along major highways, rather than something you own and have to maintain/store/charge. You don’t need to wait for a charger, just pick up the pre-booked fully charged trailer along the way, and drop it off before you get into your destination town - again adding value as you don’t need to maneuver or park it in congested areas. You can also pick up a second (or third) along the way (for those epic road trips) without having to wait for charging - making wait times at charge stations, and route planning around charge stations moot issues. At least one company has already thought of this (the German one I see with press releases all over has trailers a bit too short to tow at any proper highway speed) but without buy-in from an EV manufacturer (so that after market mods to your car are not necessary), and major start up capital (to create the necessary rental network) I don’t see it happening. If not Elon, will someone else (an existing ICE manufacturer wanting to break into the market) go for it?