TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X bike carrier recommendation?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Kfruechtl, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Kfruechtl

Kfruechtl Member

All,

After having recently decided to upgrade from our MS70 to a MX75D, I am now looking for a suitable bike carrier for 4 bikes (and yes, I have already confirm that the tongue weight allowance of the tow bar is sufficient for the weight of the bikes I am planning to carry).

Would you have any recommendation of what bike carrier to get?

I’m currently looking at the Thule G6 929, as the Telstra-branded accessory does not carry 4 bikes and the Yakima FullSwing requires the 2 inch receiver which as I understand is not provided for MX beyond the US.

Would be great to get your perspectives.

Thanks!

Karsten

2. Jays200

Jays200 Member

I use a Thule 9044AU T2 Classic - 50mm Receiver 2 Bike Carrier - Thule Australia

It carries 2, expands to 4 with the add-on, which I also have.

I did source a 2" square from the USA and am not sure if new MX's in Australia come with the useless "Swan Neck" hitch like mine did or the 2" square receiver.

I made LED lights for my rack, however, you need to activate trailer mode to make the lights works but this of course disables Autopilot. That's a pain given I'm not actually towing and would like to use Autopilot.

3. Kfruechtl

Kfruechtl Member

Thanks Jayson, this is very helpful!

What made you choose this specific model over, e.g. the Thule G6?

Not sure what the new MX come with - need to find out...

Any other recommendations from this group?

Thanks

Karsten

4. Jays200

Jays200 Member

I have a carbon fibre mountain bike and I didn't want anything touching the frame. The T2 only uses the wheels as hold points.