Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Blackvue Dashcam installation in Boston Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Photos will have to wait, but 7 hours labor @ $90 per hour on top of $400 parts and $40 misc materials and tax nets $1134.68 for my install. Having done one, hopefully you can save at least one, maybe two hours of labor on subsequent installs.

I don't have photos to post at the moment, but they did a great job (and they took photos, which I said they could post publicly, so you might see photos online shortly) In the driver's seat, I can just barely see the left edge of the front unit. They were able to fit the needed cables in the manufacturer's windshield conduit toThe rear unit is not visible to me in the driver's seat. They had to strip the multi-wire jacket off, but managed to get the coax to the rear unit and the power to the front unit in the existing wire channel down the windshield.

BizJet: They initially asked for the car for one day, but as the install neared, they asked to get the car the afternoon before. That let the owner, the installer, and me meet to discuss all the details (they had done several model S installs, but no model X installs).

This was unplanned on my part (until the day of), which meant that I had to take an Uber home (to the far suburbs) on Thursday, and bike to work, then to the shop in on Friday. On the bright side, the folks from Sound in Motion were much more concerned about the potential to damage to my vehicle from my bicycle in the back than I was. They found some foam and cardboard to ensure the car was not damaged by my bike on my drive home. Me, I'm of the opinion that I park this car in Boston, it's going to get beat up. Clearly they don't agree. Bravo. I'd use these guys again in a heartbeat.

On the downside, I had to deflect offers for radar/laser detection systems, and even a sound system despite having bought the premium sound system.

Jeff

PS: If you have this work done, don't remove the garish 2D bar code from the front camera until you've registered your cloud camera with blackvue. I decided it was garish and removed it in the first mile out of the shop. I'm now figuring how to register my camera for cloud support....

Great! ... Someone in the area sounds like they know what they are doing! Photo and cost? Thanks!

I inquired directly with both of the two installers recommended here. I don't want to publicly post price quotes, but PM me if you like. They also do the install slightly differently. Still trying to decide if I want to do it - I'm doing a 2-year lease, so I'll need to remove it, and it's pretty costly due to the windshield issues ... not sure if I can justify the cost over just 2 years....