Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X BMS and Contactor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model X with 54000 miles was shut down and undrivable a couple of days ago.
I took it to my Service Center (Austin, TX), and they told me the BMS and Contactors need to be replaced.
They said it wouldn't be covered under the battery warranty, and the quote is around $3,300 for parts and labor. Anybody else has this issue?

Can you please provide some additional information such as model and build month? I have just over 55,000 on my March 2018 MX100D. Hoping yours is an isolated case so also interested if anyone else has had the problem. I know of several MX's over 100,000 miles so we'll see. Did they give any indication as to the possible cause? Mine has spent about 1/2 the time in Florida's heat and humidity and the other 1/2 in Massachusetts. Just wondering if heat could be a factor. I drive mine pretty modestly most of the time.

Mine is January 2018 MX 75D. I live in Austin Texas and heat is probably the factor? They told me it is not common and I'm just unlucky.
There was no warning prior to the incident. It was shut down in the middle of the road :)

Electrical contactors failing is normal in household HVAC systems which have lower voltage and amperage, so I don't see why it would be uncommon in an EV. I also had a tech tell me he saw a lot of contactors failing, but this is the first time I've seen one mentioned on the forums, so that's interesting...