Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Boat Launching

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would appreciate feedback from Model X owners that have launched boats, include size and weight of the boats.
It seems that the towing is not an issue, but there are some questions about launching the boat.
Thank you.

I've launched a Mastercraft ProStar 205 (weighing about 4500lbs w/trailer) and two PWC's (about 1000lbs each). The main issue is if they launch ramp is steep enough to get the boat on/off the trailer without having to back the car into the water. In my case, the rear wheels of the car are about 12" from the water, to maybe even with the water. This way, the car doesn't have to get wet.

I've got a Sanger V210, also about 4500lbs with Trailer...I'm not concerned about it getting wet any more than my GMC (you get plenty wet going through a car wash with bottom blaster, or large puddle or a snow storm that you park it overnight if your afraid of electrical)

I've launched a Mastercraft ProStar 205 (weighing about 4500lbs w/trailer) and two PWC's (about 1000lbs each). The main issue is if they launch ramp is steep enough to get the boat on/off the trailer without having to back the car into the water. In my case, the rear wheels of the car are about 12" from the water, to maybe even with the water. This way, the car doesn't have to get wet.
Thanks for the answer. Would you be concerned if the ramp is not that steep and you would have to get the car somewhat into the water?

I've got a Sanger V210, also about 4500lbs with Trailer...I'm not concerned about it getting wet any more than my GMC (you get plenty wet going through a car wash with bottom blaster, or large puddle or a snow storm that you park it overnight if your afraid of electrical)
Thanks for the answer, very reassuring. Do you use shocks on the wheels while launching as they recommend?

Thanks for the answer, very reassuring. Do you use shocks on the wheels while launching as they recommend?
I haven't but I dont think the recommendation is unique to Tesla...In another boat thread one of the guys found pretty much the exact same recommendation in his Truck manual (when he actually opened it and looked)

There is one ramp I know of where I would though because it's steep and slippery..but I'd do that with any car...saw a tacoma slip in :(

I launch a 1400 lb boat trailer combination, a Thistle sailboat.

My concern is the electric parking break only acts on the rear wheels and they are just about at the waterline so the rear wheels could potentially slip down the ramp. My previous car was primary front drive par time 4wd and therefore the locked wheels, transmission and emergency brake, were high and dry.

Also a conventional car has both a transmission lock and the emergency brake, the X has only the emergency brake.