Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Brake Hold While on Incline Works Differently Than ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior to getting my MX, I have only owned manual transmission pickups, and I still own one. With a manual trans, you always drive two-footed, but the left foot is 100% for the clutch. I never used the left foot for the brake, especially whenever backing a trailer. Right foot for accelerator and brake 100% of the time. One one occasion, my daughter was towing her horse trailer and pulled the trailer down the hill of my driveway and parked at the house. So the task was now to back the horse trailer UP the driveway to exit. I did it for her when she asked. Every time I would let off the gas to adjust as I was backing uphill, I would have to let off the gas with right foot and depress the clutch with left foot and depress the brake with right foot simultaneously to keep the truck and trailer from rolling forwards. But then taking off from that stop with a manual trans - that's the real challenge. Let right foot off brake, press accelerator kind of a lot while simultaneously letting out the clutch to start moving the rig without stalling and without unintentionally rolling forward - fun stuff. The Tesla eliminates that challenge by allowing the brake to lock for you whenever you stop to adjust. Seems to me as if that would make it easier than the task I had, not harder. MX has tremendous towing power, so you're never challenged to make the car and trailer move, regardless of how steep the hill is. From what you're describing, sounds like the challenge is applying the correct pressure to the accelerator while backing up the hill. My guess is this will get easier as you back up that hill several more times. Like everything in life, there's a trick to it. Once you learn the trick, you're golden.

I learned a long time ago that Automatics are much better for towing than manuals.

Well I figured out the problem. And it was a setting. I’ll let you guys (and the moderator that changed the subject line erroneously) guess what it was. Absolutely nothing to do with how hold mode works.

I like to get to the bottom of problems. And I dislike how this thread was handled. You are all completely off the mark.

I learned a long time ago that Automatics are much better for towing than manuals.
Well I figured out the problem. And it was a setting. I’ll let you guys (and the moderator that changed the subject line erroneously) guess what it was. Absolutely nothing to do with how hold mode works.
I like to get to the bottom of problems. And I dislike how this thread was handled. You are all completely off the mark.

I think it was your hyperbolic and over the top opening thread. You really came off in an off putting way (40 yrs, I know I'm right, no one towing should buy a tesla) and I think people reacted.

An absolute dangerous train wreck. In fact one situation I had to give up.
... etc ...
I’ve been towing for 40 years. Including with 2WD *sugar* boxes. Nothing has come close to this poor or dangerous for backing up a trailer of any size.
Buyer beware.

• Disagree
Reactions: NikolaACDC
Well I thought the X was a great tow vehicle until this summer when I’ve had to back up a trailer up a hill several times.

An absolute dangerous train wreck. In fact one situation I had to give up.

I was in Hold mode and tried switching to Creep which helps a little.

When stopped on a hill with a trailer headed up hill, as soon as you take your foot off the brake the car starts rolling down the hill. I try to get my foot on the throttle as quick as possible but it’s not enough. Even with throttle fully down it’s still rolling forward down the hill. Then it figures out I want to go in reverse and starts to zing up the hill to fast. Trailer ends up not where I want it. Rinse and Repeat over and over.

This was with a 1500 lb trailer.

I’ve towed the same hill with 4500lbs trailer with ICE (Jeep) no problem. With ICE you drive TWO FOOTED. You bring the throttle up BEFORE you let the brake go. Then you just let up on the brake and smoothly go up. You can’t do this with the Model X.

This could be fixed with software with a tow mode. But right now, if anyone asks I’m saying don’t even think about towing. You never know when you might need to tow backwards up a hill.

I just got a new property on a lake with a hilly driveway. If I want a boat I will need a new vehicle.

I’ve been towing for 40 years. Including with 2WD *sugar* boxes. Nothing has come close to this poor or dangerous for backing up a trailer of any size.

Buyer beware.

I have the same problem but in a very different situation. My model 3 rolls freely in the opposite direct of being in Drive or reverse. So if I am backing up a hill when I take my foot off the accelerator it rolls forward freely down the hill.

So this becomes dangerous for me when I leave my house. I back out of the driveway and point my tail end up the hill. I drive backwards up the hill till I am free of the driveway. Then take my foot off the accelerator. The hill is steep enough that I quickly start rolling forward down the hill. Then in 2 blocks I stop at the stop sign.

this is when it is dangerous. I just arrived at the stop sign going forward around 20 mph. But I am still in reverse. Now stopped I look both ways and step on the accelerator but I am still in reverse. So I go back up the hill. If anyone is behind me there is a chance I back into them.

In my opinion it should not roll freely in the opposite direction the car is in. So it should not roll freely backwards if in drive. And it should not roll freely forward if in reverse.

I don‘t understand what the commotion is all about. Since I got the X in January, I‘ve towed a 700kg trailer with a motorbike on it and a long two-axle 1100kg trailer with many bags of garden-earth (wife garden project) and had to back up both on an incline (and steer into a corner after a few meters) and it worked fine. I use creep mode and both feet. The car will complain about both pedals being depressed but so what? Just do it easy peasy. I don‘t find it to be that much different than with my old Audi.

„But right now, if anyone asks I’m saying don’t even think about towing. You never know when you might need to tow backwards up a hill.“

I say „problem between driver-seat and steering-wheel“. I don‘t like these „truths“ being flung onto the internet like this. It is merely **your** experience and resulting opinion. Try the two-feet method and ignore the car bitching about it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
I have the same problem but in a very different situation. My model 3 rolls freely in the opposite direct of being in Drive or reverse. So if I am backing up a hill when I take my foot off the accelerator it rolls forward freely down the hill.

So this becomes dangerous for me when I leave my house. I back out of the driveway and point my tail end up the hill. I drive backwards up the hill till I am free of the driveway. Then take my foot off the accelerator. The hill is steep enough that I quickly start rolling forward down the hill. Then in 2 blocks I stop at the stop sign.

this is when it is dangerous. I just arrived at the stop sign going forward around 20 mph. But I am still in reverse. Now stopped I look both ways and step on the accelerator but I am still in reverse. So I go back up the hill. If anyone is behind me there is a chance I back into them.

In my opinion it should not roll freely in the opposite direction the car is in. So it should not roll freely backwards if in drive. And it should not roll freely forward if in reverse.
Sorry man, but any car does exactly that: if you're off the accelerator, your car will roll freely downwards. It's the equivalent of pressing the clutch in a manual car, and being surprised after 2 blocks that if you press the accelerator and release the clutch, you will be going backwards because you were still in reverse gear.

Obviously it's operator error if you decide to not switch gear into D and roll 2 blocks downwards.

• Disagree
I use creep mode and both feet. The car will complain about both pedals being depressed but so what?
You don't even need to use two feet. With using brake hold, you can perfectly switch from the brake pedal to the accelerator, and slowly manipulate it. And if you're unable to switch quickly back from accelerator to brake pedal, how safe are you behind the wheel anyway?

Put it in creep mode. In more than just this thread there are issues with both hold and roll.

To make the change, go to settings, go to driving and change stop mode.

Oh that‘s just me being lazy. I always have the car in creep and I don‘t want to change modes just for towing. I‘ll try hold mode the next time, just out of curiosity.
You can activate hold while using creep. Just press the brake pedal harder.

I always use creep, it makes it easier to manoever very slowly (I have a tiny garage and a big car).

LOL well this went downhill fast (pun intended). Not going to play the guessing game with what the problem was, but I'd probably be embarrassed to share as well at this point.

I just came back from a trip having to reverse my loaded trailer up an incline and onto levelers on one side, had to pause several times in between waiting for my bluetooth connected level to update itself and had no problem inching my way up to the desired position. Tow mode on, brake controller connected, stopping mode set to "hold" (not creep). To each his own, there are certainly some reasons why the X does not make an ideal tow vehicle but it's capable of stop and go when reversing an incline.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
You can activate hold while using creep. Just press the brake pedal harder.
I always use creep, it makes it easier to manoever very slowly (I have a tiny garage and a big car).
That 1100kg trailer I was hauling, was a real dog and really pushed the car back down the incline, nose first. Using two pedals really does help in such cases. The switch between „gas“ and brake is instant and always faster than lettting one pedal go and depressing the other, no matter how lightning fast you are..