Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Broke, Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to be happening more frequently, I’ll be driving and all the screens go black, or the car shuts off while driving and refuses to move while rebooting itself at whim. Today the car refused to go into gear, even though the screens and other systems were working fine. I was able to reboot it by changing the tire size configuration, but should this be happening so often on a $100+ car? The car has left us stranded on busy streets, sometimes with kids in the car, which is very scary. Now my wife refuses to ride in the car because she feels it is unsafe. Yes, I did big reports and scheduled another service visit, which is more than 3 weeks out.

This is my question: has anyone successfully turned in their vehicle for a new one because of these issues? Or has anyone successfully returned their vehicle because of issues?

The problem is that when I ask Tesla Service for support, they usually say, well, you fixed it, you rebooted and now it’s fine. Last time they blamed it on the USB drive, but I want to solve this problem permanently. I otherwise like the car, it’s just these glitches that are becoming a big problem.

It seems to be happening more frequently, I’ll be driving and all the screens go black, or the car shuts off while driving and refuses to move while rebooting itself at whim. Today the car refused to go into gear, even though the screens and other systems were working fine. I was able to reboot it by changing the tire size configuration, but should this be happening so often on a $100+ car? The car has left us stranded on busy streets, sometimes with kids in the car, which is very scary. Now my wife refuses to ride in the car because she feels it is unsafe. Yes, I did big reports and scheduled another service visit, which is more than 3 weeks out.

This is my question: has anyone successfully turned in their vehicle for a new one because of these issues? Or has anyone successfully returned their vehicle because of issues?

The problem is that when I ask Tesla Service for support, they usually say, well, you fixed it, you rebooted and now it’s fine. Last time they blamed it on the USB drive, but I want to solve this problem permanently. I otherwise like the car, it’s just these glitches that are becoming a big problem.
Tesla 2020 Model X
Firmware v10.2 (2021.32.22)
FSD Computer

If you start talking with service about "using the lemon law" this will get your attention. I assume your area has a lemon law, so research it a bit if you want to use it as leverage.

Otherwise, things break and go wrong. I just got my model 3 back from the shop, rats had attacked the main wiring harness and it was throwing all kinds of weird errors.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I was able to reboot it by changing the tire size configuration, but should this be happening so often on a $100+ car?
I guess you mean a $100K + car. For a $100 car, I would not expect it to ever start ;)

Seriously though, I'm having a really hard time thinking that a USB would cause such a problem. Maybe you should say if they think that is the problem, then they have a stupid design. Fix it.

• Funny
Reactions: KentuckyX
Unacceptable.

Report this to your local SC Manager ASAP. Express your concerns, and that a three or four week delay in a service visit is UNSAT for a major safety concern.

If you have to get their attention, I would call Roadside Assistance and have the car towed in while the data logs are still current.

SD card folks. Let's not call it a USB drive

Why a corrupted SD card can brick a $100,000 car is an entirely separate question, but anyway, it's not USB
Unfortunately, most people don't know the difference between USB, SD, and eMMC. The comment above yours re: USB was presumably in reply to this:

In this case, I suspect the service center did, in fact, blame a customer USB drive, as that is a common excuse for MCU issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman