Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X BTX5-A Supercharging curve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who are wondering just how fast your Model X will charge at Supercharges, I just took a road trip with my 2018 Model X and captured all my supercharging with a python program then aggregated it once I got home. This plot shows how a BTX5-A battery charges at both V2 and V3 superchargers these days. I did not see any meaningful difference between v2 and v3 chargers during this trip. This data is aggregated so there is a plus or minus 5kw variation at each data point. The charging range is 9% up to 95% and contains at least 4 samples for each charge level. The peak charging area is between 18 and 38 percent.

upload_2020-9-20_12-5-29.png

Reactions: mswlogo
Good questions. I did not aggregate the time clearly. My intent was to see the "sweet spots" for my battery for what charge level to hit the SC. Here are the times for the key areas of the plot
- 18 to 38 percent - 8 minutes
- 15 to 62 percent - 25 minutes
- 9 to 95 percent - 70 minutes

Hmm..lot of factors in play ..you have a SR so your not seeing full peak of a V3 SuC.. also as other have mentioned SOC matters as well...in general I will agree that V3 speeds do not necessarily shorten charging duration in the big picture ..;)...in my case my BTX5 batt is now limited from the BMS due miles and amount of supercharging I have done so I can’t even get V3speeds anymore ...

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have tons of data on this from our 7K mi road trip last mo and for the most part once you hit the taper in the ~40%, charge speed will be ~120 (+-10) back of SOC. Example: 50% will be between 60 to 80KW on an unpaired V2 or V3.

This is on an unthrottled RevB BTX5 so YMMV.
Selecting range mode seems to make for less optimal sessions with lower peaks. V2 charge handle rag trick is almost mandatory in hot weather if starting off with a very low SOC.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA