Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they fix the windows for you in the end?
It wasn't fixed so to speak. The car went into their bay, they took out the strip, blow it dry, put it back on, drive it out to the reception area, windows come down an up and "tada". No more squeak. They just demonstrated that it's becos it's wet. Some may not accept this explanation. But I'm pretty ok with it. Nothing much they could do unless Tesla replaces it with a re-designed part. It did get better over time. maybe it just not raining as much now or the strip is no as close to the glass anymore over time. Either way, I have learnt to accept the some flaws in this amazing car.

Reactions: mkq786
Picked mine up last night... couldn't find too many faults... the falcon wing door rub trim on one door isn't perfect... half of it is 'in' whereas the remainder is 'out'... the other door is fine. Only other thing is that the tailgate won't register/remember the height

Hey HKSpud

We're you able to get your tailgate to remember the height? I'm having the same issue with my X.

Last edited:
You may want to try it in an open space. The trunk has a sensor that overrides the saved height if it detects an obstacle overhead (low clearance), which unfortunately means most local carparks.

Really? DS actually told me this is not the case and there are no sensors for rear hatch height.

Upon searching I was only able to come across this old thread on matching the FWD sensor height (but what if you parked at a place where you've never opened the FWDs?)

Rear hatch has no sensor

Picked up the X on Saturday. Paint was so so, a lot of hair line scratches that will be buffed away at the coating dealer. Wheels were dirty. Unlike getting the S in 2015, DS doesn't give you a 1 on 1 run down any more (not that i need it anyways)

Couldn't get the trunk height memory setting working either. I think that's a bug.
Auto wiper doesn't work, it is constant on. Service center says it's a "feature" that will be fixed.
FWD also doesn't open fully even though there is plenty of space. Another feature so that we feel that our car gets better when they finally push the update.
Autosteer/auto parking are not enabled either, although I have used it on my S.

Hey HKSpud

We're you able to get your tailgate to remember the height? I'm having the same issue with my X.
Seemskinho might be right... tends to work OK in an open space although even in the tesla delivery center where the ceiling height was vast (like 2 stories) seemed to. It work. The service center said they looked at it but couldn't replicate it... seems hit and miss for me now... sometimes works, sometimes doesn't... I've decided I can live with it

the delivery quality is not great... many tapes around the car... end up of course at car detailing shop to fix it.... overall, i do like to see DS will do a better job... anyway... it is a great car to drive... can't stop driving it

Been driving the MX for 3 weeks and i've just arranged the 2nd service center appointment.
Air Con did not work on the first day and they arranged an appointment for the following month. I had to go to the showroom with my angry face to change the appointment date. A week later, one of the 3rd row seat couldn't fold (I assume the button is broken) and they've scheduled the fix 2 weeks after I called them.

• Disagree
Reactions: danielwai
I have seen a couple posts here saying that air con is not working. I picked up my X about a month ago, and just found that the air con wasn't working (the fan runs, but blows warm air). My sense is that air con probably wasn't working when I picked up the car. Just wanted to get a sense of whether this is a known/common issue among X's that were recently delivered, and how long it would take for the service center to fix it.

Thanks

Reactions: Mike M
I have seen a couple posts here saying that air con is not working. I picked up my X about a month ago, and just found that the air con wasn't working (the fan runs, but blows warm air). My sense is that air con probably wasn't working when I picked up the car. Just wanted to get a sense of whether this is a known/common issue among X's that were recently delivered, and how long it would take for the service center to fix it.

Thanks
Just picked up my X last week. Air con worked just fine for me.

I think BMW and Audi wishes the Model X was still a concept car as Tesla takes their luxury SUV sales away. I own a BMW too, it has more issues than MX.... so which is the concept car??
Absolutely agree with this. Have a friend with a BMW which constantly has issues. My nephew had a VW hard top convertible which was in the shop literally months because they couldn't figure out how to stop it from leaking every time it rains (recently replaced it with a BMW).

Tesla is making quality strides, but sometimes things just aren't right, but its good to remember, virtually every brand has cars with issues, no matter how hard they try to fix them. I'm not sure I've ever bought a new car that didn't need something fixed or adjusted. One just has to look at Land Rover, a classic high end SUV brand who to this day has some of the worst quality issues. Do I even have to mention Alfa Romeo???

Thanks
My X had air con problem when I picked it up. They told me there was a leak that may have been caused during transportation. They changed the part and refilled the fluid. Took about 3 days including realignment of one of the falcon doors.

The issues I had on all my cars, ever, is 50 times lower than the October built MX I have, and I am not talking about Toyotas and Hondas. I guess the company I value(d) the most was the biggest disappointment. I still have hope considering that so many of you had a better experience but I am not sure I will buy another Tesla soon, and I don't see at this point how Tesla is better than other car manufacturers.

I am sure that if I had the same issues with any other company I would have said the same. In this case, to my surprise it is Tesla.

So please, pick up your cars at a SC, don't have them delivered to you and make sure that you inspect your car properly and don't be afraid to refuse delivery.

Went to pick up my X in Birmingham UK las week but refused delivery.
Had a 3 hour headache looking over the car as I was peeved off to see big gaps and poor alignment.Paint was full of spots and blemishes, interior panels had scrapes, leather had dimples, rear window was slow and noisy on operation, FWD had poor fitting and rubber seals were folded inwards.
A week later there is no news on when this will be fixed. IMG_3942.jpgIMG_3938.jpgIMG_3962.jpgIMG_3980.jpgIMG_3995.jpgIMG_3999.jpg

Any Model X owner who took delivery can comment on its build quality?
I just picked up my Model X 75D last month. But its Cruise Control has some problems.

Sometimes during Cruise on the Highway at a speed about 90 km per hour, the car sharply slows down although there is no car in front of me. For some reason, the Cruise software thought there is a car right in front of me. A sharp slow down is quite scary as the car behind me may crash into my Tesla.

The Tesla Technician says it is a common issue for the newly delivered Model X. Does anyone else have similar problem?

The Tesla Technician says it is a common issue for the newly delivered Model X. Does anyone else have similar problem?

A very common problem that requires us to call Tesla and report where and when it happened so they can whitelist that location.
Edit: It usually happens you pass under a structure like a bridge, pole etc.

Last edited:
I just picked up my Model X 75D last month. But its Cruise Control has some problems.

Sometimes during Cruise on the Highway at a speed about 90 km per hour, the car sharply slows down although there is no car in front of me. For some reason, the Cruise software thought there is a car right in front of me. A sharp slow down is quite scary as the car behind me may crash into my Tesla.

Yes that happened to me as well. One instance where that happened was when I was using TACC in a tunnel. When I was about to exit, the car slowed from a cruising speed of around 75kmh to below 60kmh. I had to disengage TACC manually. This will be one of the things to fix in addition to the air con problem. I haven't had a chance to use TACC after the 8.1 upgrade.

Yeah I had a similar experience testing the TACC a few weeks ago. It was on Fanling Highway somewhere in between Sheung Shui and Fanling (heading towards Shatin direction) when the car braked even though there wasn't a car directly in front of me. However, there was this big column which may have confused the radar. I reported this to Tesla immediately. The column in question should be the one in the attached photo from Google maps.
Untitled-1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mkq786
Yeah I had a similar experience testing the TACC a few weeks ago. It was on Fanling Highway somewhere in between Sheung Shui and Fanling (heading towards Shatin direction) when the car braked even though there wasn't a car directly in front of me. However, there was this big column which may have confused the radar. I reported this to Tesla immediately. The column in question should be the one in the attached photo from Google maps.View attachment 221420

I tried cruise control on last sunday on tolo Highway towards Tai Po and it worked perfectly. No issues.

But i just wonder if this was basic cruise control or TACC? Any difference bcos as i understand EAP features are still not activated.

Does anybody have any experience removing this sticker from the sunvisor? Its pretty ugly, but it doesn't peel off so easy and I worry that it will leave a mark which would look worse. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 94