Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quality in the details is definitely problematic on all Teslas. Just something you have to accept, or you'll go crazy.

Trims are not up to par w/ even Toyota/Honda. "Small" things will start to fall apart, even after a month.

Even on delivery, the vehicle has cosmetic and other trim issues...

Hopefully you can overlook all those things for the "positves".

Things you normally "expect" is not so w/ Tesla.

I'm constantly thinking, "why did they do that? Or why can't they get that right?"

I hope one day, Tesla will get right the "details".

I have a MS. When I first got me car, I had the same problem. Tesla told me it's becos of the felt in the window sills. When they are wet, the glass rubbing against the wet felt creates the sound. Hope this helps explain the sound.

Explaining the sound doesn't do anything about "fixing" the issue.

I hope Tesla and Elon listens and decides to build not just a great car, but a quality car w/ attention to details.

The "small" things do matter.. and over time, the small issues start to get on pple's nerves...

Reactions: canon
Explaining the sound doesn't do anything about "fixing" the issue.

I hope Tesla and Elon listens and decides to build not just a great car, but a quality car w/ attention to details.

The "small" things do matter.. and over time, the small issues start to get on pple's nerves...
Perhaps I shouldn't have explained then. I was hoping to share some of the problems i discovered so that we know how to deal with them. Whether the problem is a generic one in most Tesla cars or is it specific to a car.

bad workmanship, and very slow after sales follow-up at Tesla (HK).

i remember there is a BMW or AUDI executive called Model X "a concept car" during a car show last year. i think i can agree now, after owning it a few days.

it's fun and exciting to drive X, really feel like a "concept car", it's futuristic, it lets you enjoy tomorrow's tech today, but the compromises are that it's quite expensive and problematic.

I think BMW and Audi wishes the Model X was still a concept car as Tesla takes their luxury SUV sales away. I own a BMW too, it has more issues than MX.... so which is the concept car??

Reactions: Mike M
I took delivery last week. Build quality is similar to other american cars; didn't have any major issues either. The only flaw was a big paint chip on the back of my seat - still not sure what they're going to do about it. Delivery experience was *sugar* though, the guy wasn't helpful and had an attitude problem.

I took delivery last week. Build quality is similar to other american cars; didn't have any major issues either. The only flaw was a big paint chip on the back of my seat - still not sure what they're going to do about it. Delivery experience was *sugar* though, the guy wasn't helpful and had an attitude problem.

I'd take a closer look if I were you....

Just beware.. if you take your car into service to alleviate any issues, you maybe w/o a car for 2 weeks or more... * Fair Warning * and be stuck w/ a Hertz rental...

Is there any way to fix this myself or do I have to take it in?
I believe Tesla won't change the design of this part and it wouldn't help if they replace it with the same part. I was initially quite irritated with the sound as it would "squeak" every time I close my door (the glass moves up slightly upon closing the door and rubbing against the wet felt, it squeaks). It somehow gets better over time though. There isn't much else we could do ourselves except for not wetting that part.

I believe Tesla won't change the design of this part and it wouldn't help if they replace it with the same part. I was initially quite irritated with the sound as it would "squeak" every time I close my door (the glass moves up slightly upon closing the door and rubbing against the wet felt, it squeaks). It somehow gets better over time though. There isn't much else we could do ourselves except for not wetting that part.

I used to have a similar problem with my car's window and the "squeak" sound when I was driving a BMW coupe. Its front door window has a similar design, the front door is frameless and the window lowers when opening the door (and raises after the door is shut) to help with the air pressure when closing the door. I even had the door seal rubber replaced, but this was still a problem.

Then I sprayed and rub some WD40 onto the door seal rubber (the contact area with the window glass) for lubrication, problem solved and never had this issue again. You may want to try this if you feel like a DIY solution.

Reactions: Chong and mkq786