Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X burns on the ice in Vermont on February 24, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has a Tesla ever caught on fire at a charging station.

This reminds me that I witnessed a fuel fire first hand at a motorway toll booth in France a couple of years ago and it was pretty scary. Even more scary was the number of people who just stopped on the motorway to watch it! Luckily we were several lanes over and managed to get through the toll unscathed.

Reactions: OPRCE
Well, Barklikeadog, technically this fire has not made headlines either, other than a few internet forums like this one. No mention at all in the local mainstream media. The interest here is really to find out if there was a defect in the vehicle, or if there is something about the X that would cause such a malfunction because it was being driven on the ice for a few miles. Neither seems likely, but until we know more, neither can be ruled out.

The interest here is really to find out if there was a defect in the vehicle, or if there is something about the X that would cause such a malfunction because it was being driven on the ice for a few miles. Neither seems likely, but until we know more, neither can be ruled out.
In other words, we know nothing and shouldn't speculate until we do.

At 8:00 in the evening of February 24, we noticed a bright light on the ice on the surface of Shelburne Bay on Lake Champlain. Through a telescope, we could see it was a vehicle, and it was burning really hard. We called 911 and my sons skied out to the scene to investigate. The fire had numerous small explosions, and in time, it was apparent that very little was left. Through a telescope, I suspected it was a side-by-side UTV, since no body panels were visible, and a roll cage structure was apparent through the flames. Firefighters arrived about 30 minutes later and told my kids it was a Tesla, and that the occupants had thankfully exited the vehicle.

When they got home and told me, I thought they were pulling my leg. But just to be sure, I checked in the garage to make sure my Model 3 was still safe and sound. The next morning I walked across the ice to look at the vehicle and found that yes, indeed, it was a Model X. It was fully burned, the body was pretty much gone. It makes it easy to see where the steel reinforcement is!

Does anyone on the forum know what happened? There was no coverage in the local news. I'm sure that some Model X owner is really upset about this. I'm curious to know if the fire was spontaneous, caused by some mechanical damage from hitting something, or from overheating due to wheelspin on the ice. Since I've watch a cop show or two in my day, I'm also thinking that it could be a stolen vehicle, but that seems unlikely.
View attachment 380685
Hi there! I'm a reporter with Vermont Public Radio and would love to chat about this! Shoot me an email at [email protected], thanks!

At 8:00 in the evening of February 24, we noticed a bright light on the ice on the surface of Shelburne Bay on Lake Champlain. Through a telescope, we could see it was a vehicle, and it was burning really hard. We called 911 and my sons skied out to the scene to investigate. The fire had numerous small explosions, and in time, it was apparent that very little was left. Through a telescope, I suspected it was a side-by-side UTV, since no body panels were visible, and a roll cage structure was apparent through the flames. Firefighters arrived about 30 minutes later and told my kids it was a Tesla, and that the occupants had thankfully exited the vehicle.

When they got home and told me, I thought they were pulling my leg. But just to be sure, I checked in the garage to make sure my Model 3 was still safe and sound. The next morning I walked across the ice to look at the vehicle and found that yes, indeed, it was a Model X. It was fully burned, the body was pretty much gone. It makes it easy to see where the steel reinforcement is!

Does anyone on the forum know what happened? There was no coverage in the local news. I'm sure that some Model X owner is really upset about this. I'm curious to know if the fire was spontaneous, caused by some mechanical damage from hitting something, or from overheating due to wheelspin on the ice. Since I've watch a cop show or two in my day, I'm also thinking that it could be a stolen vehicle, but that seems unlikely.
View attachment 380685
did you happen to take the VIN of the vehicle while you were out there ?
also sending you a PM

Everytime some one makes a comment about Teslas catching fires, I post this link from the National Fire Prevention Agency. And, point out these lines.

"In 2003-2007, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 287,000 vehicle fires per year. These fires caused an average of 480 civilian deaths, 1,525 civilian injuries, and $1.3 billion in direct property damage annually."

Notice the numbers: 287,000 vehicle fires/year. And notice the date: 2003-2007. No EVs

Another interesting quote:
"On average, 31 highway vehicle fires were reported per hour. These fires killed one person a day."

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and MP3Mike