Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X burns on the ice in Vermont on February 24, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many inches would you think?
On Shelburne Bay (where the Model X burned) the ice was measured by a local fisherman as 24" thick yesterday. The sports car tracks were set up on Mallets Bay, also on Lake Champlain, but about 10 miles North. I didn't ask any fishermen on Mallets Bay what they had for ice, but I suspect it was the same or possibly a bit thicker, as it came in a couple of weeks earlier.

Reactions: Electroman
I spend some time back on the bay this morning. The X is gone, well most of it is. What's left behind is a charred mess. I hope someone is returning to sweep/shovel the rest of the debris into a barrel and cart it off. I found a couple of small motors and blobs of Aluminum. About what you'd expect. I was suprised to see many of the Hazelett Spar bouys in the Shelburne Town mooring field sticking well above the ice. I took a photo of one next to my bike... it is clearly over a foot out of the ice. At least a dozen were more than 10" up. Inspection showed that they were not weighted down for the winter. I was thinking I might find one with extensive damage, indicating it was hit by the X, but I could not. It is possible that a buoy was hit, split open, and sank under the ice. I guess someone will figure that out this spring. These buoys are very close to the main track headed on and off the ice by the state boat launch. At night, it would be VERY easy to hit one. I don't know if this is what cause this particular fire, but it is certainly a possibility. The limited media reports have been vague and conflicting... some say it was a rock, others a piece of ice, some state it was on the ice, others on the road before hand. Who knows?

Thanks for posting the pictures. I could see how hitting one or two of the moorings could cause some serious damage to the underside of a car.

On Shelburne Bay (where the Model X burned) the ice was measured by a local fisherman as 24" thick yesterday. The sports car tracks were set up on Mallets Bay, also on Lake Champlain, but about 10 miles North. I didn't ask any fishermen on Mallets Bay what they had for ice, but I suspect it was the same or possibly a bit thicker, as it came in a couple of weeks earlier.
Sent u a PM

New here, created an account just to post this. I'm a local, went and checked it out Mar. 11 with a friend.

The Tesla is gone, but there's still a huge mess where it was. They left a big door panel and ash everywhere. Here's a photo album of what it looked like, both ground pics and drone pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mQCBV6rEN4BVziz16

I took some video and might post that at some point as well.

I've seen cars have their front bumpers/fascia ripped off while driving in on the ice, due to hitting a pressure ridge/fracture. That makes the most sense to me. They can be a mile long, creating a massive hazard for vehicles.

I disagree with the sentiment some have expressed that driving on the ice is inherently sketchy/risky. Near where I live, there are plowed ice roads, you can buy a season pass, you can get pizza delivered out there. Its normal. You can takes risks or be stupid on the ice, but it can also be totally normal and safe.

Update: Theft, Insurance fraud

Driver of Scorched Tesla Indicted for Stealing Five Cars​

One of the vehicles involved ended up a fireball on the frozen surface of Lake Champlain in winter 2019 in a mysterious incident.

Gonzalez, 32, managed to steal five Teslas by exploiting a company sale procedure that allowed him to take possession of the cars before his bank transfers had cleared. He then swiftly resold them through used car dealerships and online ads for profit, the feds allege. As soon as the previous car sold, Gonzalez bought another one.

It appears Tesla was the loser in all of these thefts, as the banks never transferred the money to Tesla, yet Tesla allowed him to take possession of the vehicle and also gave him the ownership certificate. I wonder how that can happen?

Reactions: Icer
It appears Tesla was the loser in all of these thefts, as the banks never transferred the money to Tesla, yet Tesla allowed him to take possession of the vehicle and also gave him the ownership certificate. I wonder how that can happen?
ACH transfers bounced. Tesla would need to call bank to verify funds (and prevent them being withdrawn) to avoid this. Or force full (and cleared) payment before delivery, which is not popular since car inspection would be be easily feasible.