TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Buy Back

Discussion in 'Model X' started by NewTMSMan, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

#81 AnxietyRanger, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Could it be a remnant of something the car had passed recently? Do you by any chance pass a pillar close by when maneuvering into such a parking spot?

I know I have such a place in my daily drives where, if I park right after a certain spot, it will often warn me of an obstacle (and I notice by its safety refusal to let the front door open properly for a moment). The obstacle isn't there, but it was there "on route" a few moments prior when I drove in.

Tesla added this type of safety feature early in the Model X process because the sensors without such "memory" were missing obstacles in some places, so they added a "memory" that knows it just passed something close, it may still be there, so better be safe than sorry... This was because the car has door and roof sensors only in certain spots and not all over the car, so having "memory" of what it has passed recently tries to alleviate this.

I get it that it can be annoying, but I've gotten over it personally. I'm not at all convinced the door setup is a good idea in the long term, but the inner 9 year-old ;) in me likes it for the time being.

2. outie

outie Active Member

No. He specifically said that it's not a swap and a swap is not an option. Basically 2 separate transactions - they buy your car like a private party and you order a new Tesla.

3. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

How hard did you push back on the $7500 tax credit? Did you file your taxes already and do you already have that money in your hands? If not I would argue why should you be giving Tesla $7500 that you may not get, and do not have, just to take back a car that they have deemed as not meeting their own expectations and are buying back? I know this is a bit contentious and there are varying views on this, my personal view is Tesla should not get money you don't even have in your hands yet, when you bought the car did they give you a $7,500 discount and then say they can wait and you can give it back if you get the tax credit?

4. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Agree on these points. I generally like the FWDs until I park in the garage and they won't open, which happens depending on a 1" difference in parking position relative to garage door opener. Then they are annoying, but otherwise they are cool. Part fo the Tesla Experience, cool cars that generally work how they are supposed to most of the time ;)

Regarding OPs issue it sounds more like a faulty sensor reacting to heat expansion,

5. outie

outie Active Member

I did not push at all because this was a 2016 tax credit which I already filed last year, so yes I already got that money back in my hands.

6. essmd

essmd Phantom X

This may be too late for the OP, but I know of an owner who had their Model X repurchased June 2017, and was reimbursed for all of registration fees and taxes, 50% of Xpel and window tinting cost, deducted only $4200 of the Fed Tax credit after submitting evidence of limited credit received due to reduced income, reasonably deducted for miles accrued at the time of the first report of the unresolveable issue.

Unfortunately, their 2nd MX has different issues also qualifying for a possible Lemon Law case, but an issue far more common so Tesla not likely to step-up this time.

• Like x 1
  7. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Sounds like a reasonable buy back offer and may help others make their case, but it seems Tesla does not have a hard and firm policy regarding the buy back offers and this becomes a negotiation quickly.

We have decided to keep our Model X for now as it seems the issues have been rectified and we have not had a further serious incident in the past months since we started this process. I did follow through on the Lemon Law process for my State notifying Tesla by letter about the issues so that should they arise again I can pick the process back up. In the end my wife really likes the Model X and her car in particular and I felt like we already had the effort in to this car getting it right and if I decided to replace our X with another X we would be starting at "square one", which it seems like the owner you referenced in your post is now experiencing.

We do still have some minor issues like a FWD that is not aligned properly on the Drivers Side, but I will get that remedied at our next service visit.