Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sharing a few more thoughts on the Model X before heading to bed.

Drive settings:
  • Steering in Sport mode, makes steering wheel heavier to go with a heavy car
  • Creep mode is turned off, so the car behaves as if it's in neutral when you're not moving
Took a scenic drive to Cypress Mountain via Lions Gate Bridge. Traffic was crawling, but with my drive settings it wasn't too bad. Once I got onto the bridge, it was a fun and spirited drive.

The ascent is in the X is amazing. There's more torque than you need, press down on your right foot do go fast. It hugs the corners, really enjoyed the hairpin turns.

The descent is even more amazing. I maybe used my brakes twice while coming down from Cypress. The regenerative braking alone was enough to slow the X to a near full stop. Brakes will last a long time at this rate.

Falcon Wing Doors
Kids have it figured out, they like to open and close their own doors. It's cool and makes the Model X unique. Now for the bad parts, I've counted at least two situations where this hit me on its way down. It didn't hurt but I can imagine I'll see similar comments. I'm also worried how this will do in low clearance areas, will head to the mall to figure that out tomorrow. So, as per my last post - I am not impressed witth the doors.

Do you have the 20" tires ? If yes do you also have the all seasons Continental?

It seems to be the case for the first one

Yep, they are 20 Continental Cross Contact LX Sport.

Attachments

• 14651445057811704417607.jpg
    14651445057811704417607.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 50
Took a scenic drive to Cypress Mountain via Lions Gate Bridge. Traffic was crawling, but with my drive settings it wasn't too bad. Once I got onto the bridge, it was a fun and spirited drive.

Great information, thanks!

Have you tried autopilot yet? I'm curious how well it will work crawling through traffic downtown and waiting in the Lions Gate line-ups. If you ever head up to Whistler or out on the Coquihalla, please let us know what your range is like. Cheers!

Hi @Porfiry, I have not tried autopilot -- not sure how to use it yet, still going through the manual :) I did try the Summon feature and backed it out of my garage. It's like driving an RC car -- the phone app only gives options to go forward or reverse.

Will let you know how it goes when I do try and take some videos the next time I'm able to take a longer drive. Itching to try out the supercharger stations in Squamish and Hope. I don't think I'll get the 400KM range though, I have a bit of a heavy foot :)

Day 3 with the Model X.

Summon
Tried Summon mode this morning to take the car out of my garage. Installed the TESLA phone app and logged in. My car was already registered, I'm guessing because it's tied to my TESLA account.

In Summon mode, I can make the car go forward or reverse. It's like an RC car that only goes forward and backwards really really slowly. At least that is all I was able to do. I could see using this if I had to park the car in a tight spot and get it back out? Otherwise, it doesn't do much right now.

Falcon Wing Doors
Really not sure about these. I've been hit twice by them now as they were coming down. Actually I've been hit by the trunk lid coming down too so maybe it's just me being clumsy LOL. Seriously, these things are not idiot proof but this isn't a mass market vehicle so buyer beware. And passenger beware. And anyone nearby beware, these doors move by themselves!

Drive Settings
I turned off Creep mode, turned on Range mode - will post a photo on my Instagram account with the settings screen. I absolutely love the fact that I rarely have to use the brakes. I highly recommend turning off Creep mode. It's like having your regular car in neutral, which I like to do in my stick shift Mini.

EV Charging
Went to Oakridge to eat at the food court and used the TESLA chargers. It's the wall charger, not a supercharger but it's so convenient because you get a prime parking spot while you charge. Also found free charging / parking at Granville Island. There are 2 Chargepoint EV charging spots outside Edible Canada Bistro. I can get used to this special treatment :)

Heading out to enjoy the beautiful weather. Let me know if you have any questions or anything you want me to test.

Very True. It's pretty harsh needing a charge and not finding an open spot.

@goneskiian @Martin VanB good point. Hope the charging infrastructure improves as EV adoption increases.

Existing owners, do you avoid parking spots that are charge stations unless you need them? What about TESLA charge stations parking spots? As I'm new to all this, would like to get other view points. Is there a mechanism for EV owners to reserve spots if they are running low, or some way to notify others that someone with a more urgent need is going to be in the area? What's the proper etiquette?

End of day 3 updates.

Underground Parking
The Falcon Wing Doors will work in underground parking. I found a spot that had a beam running across and was lower than other areas and the doors stopped short of hitting the ceiling. There's actually quite a bit of room to spare, good to know I won't need to worry about indoor parking. You can see it in action on my Instagram feed:
Instagram video by @yz778 • Jun 5, 2016 at 5:32pm UTC

Bike Racks
I purchased the towing upgrade, which gives the 2" hitch receiver. I was surprised to learn that I had to install this myself! It's a bit of a pain, you have to go on your back to install it. Took me awhile to figure out how to do this. TIP: read the manual and follow the instructions carefully. It works, and I carried 4 bikes on the rack, and 1 foldable bike went into the rear trunk. The hitch is a Swagman 4 bike carrier. Here's what it looks like after I got everything installed:
Instagram photo by @yz778 • Jun 5, 2016 at 9:50pm UTC

Another thing, birds love pooping on this car. I had to spray it with a hose when I got home - there was some nasty bird poop on the top of my Model X.

• Funny
Reactions: Jon
Wow, who does that LOL
There is never a proper time to park like this.

In my youth, I had a "friend" (I use this term lightly) who parked like this over 3 spots in a school parking lot at 2am.. Less than an hour he was arrested (for an unrelated matter) but it was his shitty parking job that alerted the cops that something weird was up.

Don't park like a jackass!

There is never a proper time to park like this.

In my youth, I had a "friend" (I use this term lightly) who parked like this over 3 spots in a school parking lot at 2am.. Less than an hour he was arrested (for an unrelated matter) but it was his shitty parking job that alerted the cops that something weird was up.

Don't park like a jackass!

Was that photo really of someone who left their car like that to charge? It looks more like someone doing that to take a picture and the Internet went crazy without context. There is a lot of red and white in that picture, it looks too perfect to be a real park job. I can't imagine someone would actually do that and think it's OK.

Thoughts on the touchscreen.

Physical Buttons (lack of)
I was really worried about not physical buttons to operate the car, and how that would be distracting when driving. The fan controls are always on screen at the bottom and are pretty easy to operate. You can also control a few things on the steering wheel with the controls (left controls music, right controls can operate temperature, fan speed, etc.). I still prefer having real buttons to push, but this hasn't been the terrible experience I was worried about.

Fingerprints
I hate fingerprints showing up on things, but what do you expect this is a giant iPad. TESLA has been thoughtful enough to include a little cloth for you to wipe it down.

Browser
Don't fiddle with it while you're driving, distracted driving can get someone hurt. It's OK to use it while parked - but.. not that you'd want to. It's slow, disappointingly slow. For this price, I'd expect the performance and features I'd find in a modern day tablet browser. It's no Chrome or Safari. I can't see anyone using this seriously, you'll always have your phone with you to do browsing. If there was a way to hook up video to this or some screen mirroring through the TESLA app, this would be awesome.

Hopefully the hardware is upgradable because I feel the CPU could use a speed bump already :)