Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Cargo Carrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone considering this rear-mounted cargo box from Thule? I don't know how it'll fit in back-in Supercharger locations, but definitely seems to fit the bill with the falcon-wing door limitations as well as the aerodynamic benefits compared to roof-mount.

I was trying to figure out if I could get a bike rack with the "extender" for coupling another bike rack behind it, and put this in its place. That would allow, potentially, for 2 bikes plus cargo,at the expense of some rear clearance.
Learning moment for me: I ordered the accessory hitch that came as a freebie at that time and at delivery they gave the full 2in hitch from what I can make out. How do I find out if my car has full towing capability or just limited based on the accessory hitch specs? Some of the early cars got away with few freebies like the FAS, so wondering!o_O

Learning moment for me: I ordered the accessory hitch that came as a freebie at that time and at delivery they gave the full 2in hitch from what I can make out. How do I find out if my car has full towing capability or just limited based on the accessory hitch specs? Some of the early cars got away with few freebies like the FAS, so wondering!o_O
It's the same exact hitch hardware. The only difference is the software, and the wiring for the trailer. Do you see Controls > Driving > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen? If you do, you have the full towing package.

It's the same exact hitch hardware. The only difference is the software, and the wiring for the trailer. Do you see Controls > Driving > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen? If you do, you have the full towing package.
There was a question at one point about additional structural support for the tow hitch vs. the stealth tow hitch. It would be prudent to get Tesla's confirmation that the vehicle structure is identical before hooking up a trailer. My guess is that it is identical, but I don't want to see someone damage their vehicle with that assumption.

The only comment I have is that with a cargo box/basket, when you put the X in reverse, you'll be hearing lots of beeps warning you of a rear obstacle. You could simply put the X in "tow mode", but then it disables Auto-Steer.

I prefer to put up with the warning beeps, rather than lose Auto-Steer. This is with my 2-tray bike rack, but a cargo box/basket behave exactly the same.

I'm hoping that Tesla updates the software to make it ignore hitch mounted racks. If they could take 2 images, a few meters apart, they should be able to determine the outline of the rack, and ignore the rack. However, I suspect they are currently using sonic sensors and in that case, if the vehicle is 6" away from an obstacle and the vehicle reverses 3" and the obstacle is still 6" away, then it could ignore it.

I'm not convinced that this is a solvable issue.

It is very easy to turn off the beeps, just tap the sound-off button on the back-up screen. Sometimes I leave mine on to remind me that I have bikes back there, but generally I just turn the sound off.

Great info and pictures!, I will order my X with the tow package. Too bad there are not straps or attachments (yet) that could transfer sensors to the back of the box. In the old days, trailers didn't have lights, brake lights or directional signals. It should be pretty easy to add sensors now, and hopefully, Tesla will be the innovator for placing on or moving sensors to, optional carriers too!
If they sold the box system ( like they do with the bike rack), I would prefer to purchase it through Tesla. Maybe too small a market, but it would be an option I would definitely purchase.

With the accessory hitch, I think it's around 120lb. But if you have the full tow hitch, the tongue weight max is listed as 500lb for 20" tires and 350lb for 22".
Thanks, it's interesting that currently it appears the "tow hitch" and "accessory hitch" hardware is the same. It differs in software. It will be interesting to see if they eventually go to the "accessory hitch" which is installed all the time and covered with a plate.

Thanks, it's interesting that currently it appears the "tow hitch" and "accessory hitch" hardware is the same. It differs in software. It will be interesting to see if they eventually go to the "accessory hitch" which is installed all the time and covered with a plate.

Early Model Xs shipped with a 1.25" accessory hitch before they decided to standardize on a single 2" hitch style for both the accessory and towing options. I believe (though I can't verify) that the only difference between the two now is the wiring harness needed for safely towing a trailer (and of course the software bit allowing for towing features).

Early Model Xs shipped with a 1.25" accessory hitch before they decided to standardize on a single 2" hitch style for both the accessory and towing options. I believe (though I can't verify) that the only difference between the two now is the wiring harness needed for safely towing a trailer (and of course the software bit allowing for towing features).
I don't believe a 1.25" was ever shipped. It was offered in the design studio, but the implementation never made it to the car.

I have the AH, and posted pics in another thread showing the wiring harness and hitch labels showing same load capacities (500 lbs tongue weight for 20" wheels). The software is the only difference I can see. Now that the AH is gone, I would say the Tow package is a necessity for resale value as many folks will one day want to attach a bike rack at the very least. Other cars can more easily add an aftermarket hitch, but Model X will make that very difficult.

In his thread-beginning post, Ohmman wrote:
I was trying to figure out if I could get a bike rack with the "extender" for coupling another bike rack behind it, and put this in its place. That would allow, potentially, for 2 bikes plus cargo,at the expense of some rear clearance

Now, although you later clarified that your X has enough interior storage that you're no longer interested in this set-up, if you or anyone else has further interest -

the Wisconsin company that makes the fantastic "1Up" bicycle racks (1Up USA and, as per the Model S thread "Honey, I Blew Up The Tesla", I relate my installation of the Eco Hitch just so I can mount this rack)...ALSO has a cargo carrier that appears to be constructed using the same bomb-proof fashion. AND - it can take a double 1Up like rack behind it. And all for a little bit less than the price of a P100D.

I am thrilled with how our bike rack carries our two very heavy electric bikes with aplomb; they weigh 50 & 59 pounds each. I've not been able to find any reviews of the cargo carrier, but I'm confident it's a high quality product. Te company rates them for 380 pounds.

Website here: 1UPUSA.com :: Cargo Carriers

I have the tow package on my X 90D but only because I couldn't get a straight answer out of Tesla as to what hardware would be installed on my car if I just went with the $200 accessory hitch option. I have 20" tires and my Bosal hitch receiver says 500lbs tongue limit, 5,000lbs towing limit.
I use a hitch cargo carrier and a weatherproof bag. Used it on 2 long road trips and about to use it on my 3rd. Works great, no issues.
Cargo Carrier - Amazon.com: Pro Series 63152 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2” Receivers: Automotive
Cargo Bag - Amazon.com: ROLA 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag 59" x 24" x 24" (20 Cu Ft): Automotive

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I have the tow package on my X 90D but only because I couldn't get a straight answer out of Tesla as to what hardware would be installed on my car if I just went with the $200 accessory hitch option. I have 20" tires and my Bosal hitch receiver says 500lbs tongue limit, 5,000lbs towing limit.
I use a hitch cargo carrier and a weatherproof bag. Used it on 2 long road trips and about to use it on my 3rd. Works great, no issues.
Cargo Carrier - Amazon.com: Pro Series 63152 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2” Receivers: Automotive
Cargo Bag - Amazon.com: ROLA 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag 59" x 24" x 24" (20 Cu Ft): Automotive
What do you load up in it? What weight do you think you carry?

I am curious about the weight you put on the cargo carrier too.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190216_124858.jpg
    MVIMG_20190216_124858.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 142
  • MVIMG_20190216_124858.jpg
    MVIMG_20190216_124858.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: shrfu31