Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Cargo Carrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
Is anyone considering this rear-mounted cargo box from Thule? I don't know how it'll fit in back-in Supercharger locations, but definitely seems to fit the bill with the falcon-wing door limitations as well as the aerodynamic benefits compared to roof-mount.

I was trying to figure out if I could get a bike rack with the "extender" for coupling another bike rack behind it, and put this in its place. That would allow, potentially, for 2 bikes plus cargo,at the expense of some rear clearance.

We had a similar box for my wife's ML350. Never again. It really screwed up handling if you put much more weight than a pair of socks in it and far more so than towing our boat (Nautique 211).

For supercharging we could really use an extension cable (or 3' longer cables on the superchargers?). For situations like this and for what we ran in to when there was a bit of snow built up along the curb in front of the superchargers and the cable was stiff.

We had a similar box for my wife's ML350. Never again. It really screwed up handling if you put much more weight than a pair of socks in it and far more so than towing our boat (Nautique 211).

That's really interesting (and surprising). So the aerodynamics were affected such that you could feel sway? That's disappointing. I've also seen the hitch mounted trays upon which people put large zipped bags, but those seemed like they'd be much worse from an aero perspective.

That is interesting. It must vary by car. Many years ago we had a very similar cargo carrier (from Stowaway), though it swung sideways rather than down to provide access to the back of the vehicle. We couldn't notice it at all on the back of our Econoline camper van. We did notice it on the back of our VW Golf TDI (we took a 4-person roadtrip in it), but just barely and it was mostly from the weight.

16279_10151768921670053_1634752267_n.jpg

I wouldn't say my old Stowaway was "easy" to mount/unmount, especially when loaded with stuff - I wouldn't want to pull out a full one by myself, though it's doable with a second person. But I'm pretty sure I could have swung it out sideways and backed up close enough to a Supercharger at nearly (though not all!) any Supercharger I can remember visiting. Some I might not have needed to do anything at all.

I wouldn't say my old Stowaway was "easy" to mount/unmount, especially when loaded with stuff - I wouldn't want to pull out a full one by myself, though it's doable with a second person. But I'm pretty sure I could have swung it out sideways and backed up close enough to a Supercharger at nearly (though not all!) any Supercharger I can remember visiting. Some I might not have needed to do anything at all.

So yeah, here is the Stowaway line, and I think this is a solid consideration - the ability to choose the swinging vs. fixed mount would maybe allow you to swing it out and maneuver between back-in obelisks. Maybe. Pricing is slightly more expensive than the Thule I originally mentioned.

So yeah, here is the Stowaway line, and I think this is a solid consideration - the ability to choose the swinging vs. fixed mount would maybe allow you to swing it out and maneuver between back-in obelisks. Maybe. Pricing is slightly more expensive than the Thule I originally mentioned.
From the description of the the Stowaway box on the products page "Designed for vehicles and hitches with a minimum of 300 lbs tongue weight capacity." So if you have the towing package this will work. I don't believe it will work with the "accessory hitch" option which is rated only to carry 120LBs. and the box itself weighs 100lbs.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
So if you have the towing package this will work. I don't believe it will work with the "accessory hitch" option which is rated only to carry 120LBs. and the box itself weighs 100lbs.

Good point - and I don't think any of these options (hitch rack, hitch box, etc) are viable candidates if you don't have the towing package and are reading this thread. I did order it, and am looking for ways to extend the functionality when I don't feel like pulling a trailer.

From the description of the the Stowaway box on the products page "Designed for vehicles and hitches with a minimum of 300 lbs tongue weight capacity." So if you have the towing package this will work. I don't believe it will work with the "accessory hitch" option which is rated only to carry 120LBs. and the box itself weighs 100lbs.

Thanks for this info, I was looking for the details on accessory hitch weight capacity a few months ago and hit a wall. Where did you read this info; was it anywhere on TMC or somewhere you could link to for me? Thanks!

I only got the accessory hitch, and am in the no more changes zone now (delivery April-Early May) so I guess it's moot for me. I probably would have gotten the tow package if I knew the weight limit was that low. I had figured it'd be a Class 1 hitch with a 200b limit... didn't even know a car maker could make a hitch that didn't even qualify for Class 1. Ah well, no cargo box for me I guess.

Thanks for this info, I was looking for the details on accessory hitch weight capacity a few months ago and hit a wall. Where did you read this info; was it anywhere on TMC or somewhere you could link to for me? Thanks!

I only got the accessory hitch, and am in the no more changes zone now (delivery April-Early May) so I guess it's moot for me. I probably would have gotten the tow package if I knew the weight limit was that low. I had figured it'd be a Class 1 hitch with a 200b limit... didn't even know a car maker could make a hitch that didn't even qualify for Class 1. Ah well, no cargo box for me I guess.

The information is in the Model X manual which can be found on this site. Here is the applicable information:
Supported Bicycle Carriers
To support the installation of a carrier (such as
a bicycle rack) on the rear of Model X, the
optional towing package is required. Do not
attempt to install a carrier on a Model X that is
not equipped with the towing package. Doing
so can cause damage.
Model X is designed to support a bicycle
carrier of up to 120 lbs (55 kg). When carry
bicycles on Model X, always check to ensure
that the maximum weight is not exceeded. For
example, this weight threshold is sufficient for
carrying two bicycles weighing approximately
40 lbs (18 kg) each, or four bicycles weighting
approximately 20 lbs (9 kg) each, assuming
the carrier weighs approximately 33 lbs (15
kg).
Warning: The accessory hitch is designed
to attach a 1.25“ hitch accessory only. Do
not use the accessory hitch for trailer
towing, transportation or vehicle recovery.

It is out of date as it refers to the hitch as 1.25" and we know it has been upgraded to 2".
There are cargo racks which weigh about 30lbs (this is a cheap one ) (Amazon.com: Ironton Steel Cargo Carrier - 500-Lb. Capacity, Fits 2in. Receiver Hitches: Automotive), so you should be able to add 80lbs of cargo, unless there is something I don't understand. I can't get anyone to confirm or deny the use of a cargo carrier with the 2" accessory hitch, keeping the weight under 120lbs and the manual is specifically talking about bike carriers.

Any one have a clear answer from Tesla to this question?

I read here that when enough weight is detected on a Tow Package equipped X, the Tow Mode is engaged which disables Auto-Steer, but leaves Advanced Cruise Control working. Assuming the weight limit is not reached for Tow Mode, what is the impact of a cargo/bike rack on Autopilot? I would really like to have full Autopilot for long distance travel vacations when the cargo and/or bike rack would also be needed.

I read here that when enough weight is detected on a Tow Package equipped X, the Tow Mode is engaged which disables Auto-Steer, but leaves Advanced Cruise Control working. Assuming the weight limit is not reached for Tow Mode, what is the impact of a cargo/bike rack on Autopilot? I would really like to have full Autopilot for long distance travel vacations when the cargo and/or bike rack would also be needed.
I have wondered this same thing. The cargo boxes listed above can carry up to 500lbs. It would be a real drawback to lose Autopilot features because one of these is mounted (or a bike rack, as you mention).

I did order it, and am looking for ways to extend the functionality when I don't feel like pulling a trailer.
ohmman, do I read correctly that you bought a StowAway? If so, can you recommend it for a Model X and SC back-in use case? I am thinking of ordering a SwingAway hitch frame Hitch Frames | StowAway Carriers
and combining it with a cargo tray that can even haul my cheap beach bikes. https://amzn.com/B00PXNC7K0
Maybe add a cargo box or bag for limited weekend dirty chore duties.
I do have another hitch mounted bike rack for other half-decent bikes.

Did anyone end up getting any of these boxes? I am strongly considering the stowaway2 box for an upcoming trip to the beach. There's five of us and even with the back row folded, we will need additional storage to bring everything.

I like the versatility of being able to swap out the box for a bike rack or something else. Losing autopilot would be a bummer, but not a deal breaker for me.

I am ordering a Model X, and know I will need additional storage for trips with the kids. Not bikes or skis, just clothes, toys etc. Since a roof carrier not possible, has any one used a cargo box or basket on the 2x2 inch rear hitch? Do they block any of the rear sensors? Am I better off getting the towing package to allow wiring if tail lights blocked? Hopefully someone has had experience carrying additional gear.
thanks

The only comment I have is that with a cargo box/basket, when you put the X in reverse, you'll be hearing lots of beeps warning you of a rear obstacle. You could simply put the X in "tow mode", but then it disables Auto-Steer.

I prefer to put up with the warning beeps, rather than lose Auto-Steer. This is with my 2-tray bike rack, but a cargo box/basket behave exactly the same.

I'm hoping that Tesla updates the software to make it ignore hitch mounted racks. If they could take 2 images, a few meters apart, they should be able to determine the outline of the rack, and ignore the rack. However, I suspect they are currently using sonic sensors and in that case, if the vehicle is 6" away from an obstacle and the vehicle reverses 3" and the obstacle is still 6" away, then it could ignore it.

I'm not convinced that this is a solvable issue.