Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X charge door and Gen 3 Wall connector not working RF interference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is beyond frustrating when things don't work. It is even worse when the wall connector support says the problem is not their product and it is the car and service says the problem is not the car.

Anyone have a situation where they have 2 newer Model S or X parked in the driveway with Gen 3 wall connector not being able to open the charge port door with the wand? It is so intermittent and the SW on the car and wall connector have not changed for almost a month. Sometimes the door opens other times it does not. I'm wondering if any of this has to do with the RF receivers and interference of having two cars on a driveway locking each other out. I need to grab a spectrum analyzer from work and do some testing.

The UMC (mobile charger) does not work either when the door does not work on either car. So it is hard for me to blame the wall connector. The button on the wand works to release the wall connector so it is not the button. Again everything is new under 1k miles and new gen 3 wall connectors installed a month ago.

I know the X had an issue where SW all of a sudden fixed it, but now it has been on stable SW with no updates and it stopped worked. Than the S just started working out of the blue intermittently but now the X does not work at all.

Curious if anyone with newer models is experiencing the same thing?

My charge port has recently stopped opening via the wall connector wand too. My thought was a hardware failure but hearing your experience perhaps it is due to a new bug. I only have a single vehicle so interference is unlikely.

The issue is there have been no SW updates and all of a sudden it stops working.

It is a game of cat and mouse trying to figure out if it's a HW problem or a SW bug when you do an update.

It's just frustrating all around and not what I signed up for with Tesla

My X used to have a setting called Always Connected, or something like that. Back then, the wand would open my charge port first button push every time. At some point this setting option was removed and now it takes up to a minute sometimes for my charge port to open.

That's a negative, I think your thinking of opening the trunk and pointing the wand to the charge port from inside opening the door. It does not matter. This is not an HF antenna issue out of the blue.

That's a negative, I think your thinking of opening the trunk and pointing the wand to the charge port from inside opening the door. It does not matter. This is not an HF antenna issue out of the blue.
I don't disagree. I was just trying to explain the purpose of opening the trunk. I have not been able to open my charge port with the wand or pressing the cover since 2022.20.17 (FSDb) was installed. I always have to use the app. It worked fine on 2022 20.9 (the release I was on prior to .17). I suspect the key fob trunk long press, would work as well. But I generally do not carry the fab.

When it was working, I had better luck with the wand behind the tail light rather than close to the charge port

If it doesn't work with car powered on, take the UMC to the service center and ask them to try it. It will either work or they will see that it doesn't.

If the car is off, its probably in a deep sleep and you need to open a door first. That's they way it works on both my Tesla's, of different years.

I don't disagree. I was just trying to explain the purpose of opening the trunk. I have not been able to open my charge port with the wand or pressing the cover since 2022.20.17 (FSDb) was installed. I always have to use the app. It worked fine on 2022 20.9 (the release I was on prior to .17). I suspect the key fob trunk long press, would work as well. But I generally do not carry the fab.

When it was working, I had better luck with the wand behind the tail light rather than close to the charge port
Copy that, I've gone through all the regressions trying any anecdotal way possible to test it. It is just unreliable and inexcusable IMO

If it doesn't work with car powered on, take the UMC to the service center and ask them to try it. It will either work or they will see that it doesn't.

If the car is off, its probably in a deep sleep and you need to open a door first. That's they way it works on both my Tesla's, of different years.
UMC does not work, I'm not sure about older models but with the refresh S and X I'm pretty confident there if RF related issues with the receiver.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Copy that, I've gone through all the regressions trying any anecdotal way possible to test it. It is just unreliable and inexcusable IMO
Yup, I don't disagree with that either. I am using a version 2 Wall Connector. I've never tried my UMC as I do not have a 14-50 outlet available. FWIW, this has happened before with other software releases. Tesla will figure it out and send us new code that works.

My 22 Plaid X built on Aug 19th 2022 has been doing the same thing at times it opens fine but at other times I have to go in the app and open the charge door. I was thinking the same .. It seems to be something going on with the 22 Plaid X.

I also have A 2018 Model 3 and 21 Model S plaid no issues there.. At-least not so far...

The 2022 S and X share a lot of common parts including charge port so I'm willing to bet in typical lazy Tesla fashion they didn't have the foresight to account for more than one refresh X or S side by side in a driveway and there is RF interference in some cases. I've also had just one car one the driveway and it has been a hit or miss mostly a miss.

Beyond frustrating when you pay this kind of money to have this poor of a performance for something this simple