TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Charge Port Location....

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Mayhemm, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Hi everyone.

From the looks of the Model X prototype/beta, the charging port seems to be in the same location as on Model S (driver's tail light). Has there been any confirmation of this one way or another?

I'm getting my garage re-wired for two EV slots (one Model S, one Model X) and it would be nice to be able to optimize the charge point locations a bit so the cords aren't stretched and looped all over the place.

2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

No confirmation that I am aware of, however, it would need to be in the same place for supercharger compatibility.

3. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

I had the same question yesterday and Gar from Tesla confirmed the charge port will be on the driver's side, just like the Model S.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Anyone successfully setup overhead HPWC?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

would be nice if the X had the port on the passenger side to better accommodate the use of the same HPWC and/or centrally located outlet for those of us with a Model S. If we get an X with the port on the driver's side we'll have issues reaching the charger unless we back in.

But I suspect that it'll be in the exact location, the Superchargers are all set up for that particular location and it will become the standard for all future Teslas.

6. jasonsc

jasonsc Member

I mounted my HPWC in the back of the two care garage (passenger side). I can just make it stretch to my wife's car where the plug would be, but I need to be able to plug both in at the same time. I guess I have a year or so to figure it out!

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Back in?

8. Mayhemm

This also makes the most sense if you want to maintain design consistency between models.

9. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I want them to do 2 connectors if you buy 2 chargers, one on each side. That way if you pull up to a dual 30A J1772 you can use both of them.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Has someone who attended the reveal event (or paid closer attention on the videos than I did) confirmed that the charge port location is the same on the X as on the S?

11. PGeer

PGeer Member

Yes. It's the same (on Elon's car)

12. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

Won't AutoPilot eventually be able to back in the car for you? :biggrin:

13. Mayhemm

If and when that particular feature is release, it's likely only going to work in the forward direction.

14. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Curious...why do you feel it would work one way but not the other?

15. SteveS0353

SteveS0353 Member

#15 SteveS0353, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    I mounted the HPWC enclosure on the wall, and routed the charge cable length across the garage ceiling. I back the car it, and it's easy with the back-up camera, parking sensors and a little practice.

View attachment 96513

Attached Files:

16. Mayhemm

Why do the concierge doors only work from one direction? It's simpler to only program a single scenario.

How would the car know it needs to back in? Unless it can mimic behavior or Geotag the location of your EVSE? Each requiring fairly complex learning algorithms.

17. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Presumably you would tell it whether to back in or go frontwards in. Sure it's a little more work, but it would be a strange limitation. After all, if it goes in frontwards it needs to know how to back out.

18. mymacbook

mymacbook Member

Some of us configured their electrical outlets accounting for this possibility of two electric cars. I put two seperate 50am circuits in garage - one on right wall near garage door so I can simply pull car directly in OR back in - either way cable stretches perfect. The second outlet is on the outside of garage and same location and designed to be backed in.

amazing what a little planning can do. :)

19. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Excellent observation.

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I'm thinking of eventually doing a similar setup. Right now I just use the supplied UMC, so I have it draped across the back wall and floor and I always back in.