Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

had my home charger install for my model x and I regularly get an error saying ‘charge port unlatched’ asking me to push the cable in more. Sometimes it flashes amber and sometimes it charges but records the error.

mom inspection of the charge port the top right pin is set further back in the socket than the top left

I suppose my questions are therefore is the pin supposed to be like that ? If not that’ll be the problem. If it is then any ideas ?

cheers

rob

Like this

Attachments

• 3FCA15B7-D016-4439-A616-BCF7B89BF5BE.jpeg
    3FCA15B7-D016-4439-A616-BCF7B89BF5BE.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 47
thanks , i've just realised that's correct.

What happens is i plug the cable in and get an error message that its not latched and i need to push the cable fully in or remove an obstruction. I then wiggle the cable back and forth a little and the error message disappears. The car charges anyway. It cant be the cable as it happened at my first supercharger visit. im not hugely bothered other than the worry that one day it wont charge and i'll be stuck

Rob

Sounds like a charge port alignment issue. The alignment between the charge port and charge nozzle has to be aligned the tolerance is very small so if it becomes misaligned then you can get these errors and wiggling often makes them go away and you fix said issue.

I only know this because I had the same issue and was a PITA to get a decent charge after a visit to the SC they recalibrated the port and it was back to normal charging like a dream.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and Durzel