Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Charges past set point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

Just a quick question to see if anyone else has experienced this before we open a service ticket. We have a mid 2018 Model X that always charges past the set point.

For example, we have the charge limit set to 90%, the car will quickly charge to that point, but then continue to trickle charge while it's plugged in. Since we're all to stay home, its been plugged in for the past couple of days and has slowly made its way to 100% charge. We're connected to a non-Tesla J1772 Level 2 charger. I don't think it's the charger, as we have a Model 3 that behaves normally.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!
Mike

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Hey All,

Just a quick question to see if anyone else has experienced this before we open a service ticket. We have a mid 2018 Model X that always charges past the set point.

For example, we have the charge limit set to 90%, the car will quickly charge to that point, but then continue to trickle charge while it's plugged in. Since we're all to stay home, its been plugged in for the past couple of days and has slowly made its way to 100% charge. We're connected to a non-Tesla J1772 Level 2 charger. I don't think it's the charger, as we have a Model 3 that behaves normally.

Thanks!
Mike
It may be a location specific charge level. Check the charge limit after plugging in at home.

That is strange. Can you hear the contactors activating and deactivating during that time, or does the car just stay on?
Have you tried a power off/ restart?

From what we can tell - it just stays on. We are going to try another HPWC and see if maybe there is a communication issue with the current charger. I guess it's possible the HPWC isn't getting the signal to cut the power and just keeps it contacts closed.

Either way, we'll open a service request with Tesla to check it out. The X was built in the middle of the Model 3 ramp and has had several issues from paint, HVAC, air suspension, falcon doors, front door actuators... I wouldn't be surprised if this was another to add to the list.

Thankfully, the Model 3 we took delivery of in December hasn't had a single issue... so from our prospective, it looks like Tesla has greatly improved the build quality.

Reactions: mongo
From what we can tell - it just stays on. We are going to try another HPWC and see if maybe there is a communication issue with the current charger. I guess it's possible the HPWC isn't getting the signal to cut the power and just keeps it contacts closed.

Either way, we'll open a service request with Tesla to check it out. The X was built in the middle of the Model 3 ramp and has had several issues from paint, HVAC, air suspension, falcon doors, front door actuators... I wouldn't be surprised if this was another to add to the list.

Thankfully, the Model 3 we took delivery of in December hasn't had a single issue... so from our prospective, it looks like Tesla has greatly improved the build quality.
The problem shouldn't be on the Wall Connector side since all the charging is controlled by the vehicle. And the WC should fault if it can't control its contactors.
Please let us know what the diagnosis is.

Hey All,

Thanks!
Mike
Mine seems to be doing something similar. Charged to 80%, in 2 days at 78%, this morning 81% with no charge notifications. On 2020.12

So, quick update. Seems to be a bug with scheduled departure settings. We turned off the charging schedule and it's back to normal now, only charging to the preset limit and maintaining it there. We haven't set it back to scheduled departure to see if it was just a glitch that toggling it off/on will resolve, but will try that today.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
I’ve had scheduled departure on and the last charging session I had it set to 80%. I left it plugged in for maybe an additional 12 hours and it trickled up to 83%.
I’ve got it plugged in again now, scheduled departure off, and limit set to 60%. Should be done charging in about an hour but I’ll leave it plugged in probably all day tomorrow.

I’ve had scheduled departure on and the last charging session I had it set to 80%. I left it plugged in for maybe an additional 12 hours and it trickled up to 83%.
I’ve got it plugged in again now, scheduled departure off, and limit set to 60%. Should be done charging in about an hour but I’ll leave it plugged in probably all day tomorrow.

It sounds like you're seeing the same thing we are.

We turned scheduled departure back on and it's going back to slowly trickling up, so we're just going to turn that feature off while we're all in lockdown. It's weird that I'm not seeing this with the Model 3. Oh well, at least we've found the culprit.

Hi, I've got a XP100D, and it has only charged higher than the preset level once, and it was just a couple days ago when I had the scheduled departure engaged. It went 1% over the set value. Now I understand why and why it hasn't happened before. I only recently tried the scheduled departure charging feature.