Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking through the forum for weeks, so much great info. I finally ordered Model X 75D about two weeks ago. Got the VIN now waiting for delivery(late December). Currently my main concern is charging the car. I am renting the house, the electrical panel is on the back of the house about 60-70 feet (according to google maps ) from the driveway. I will have to park Model X in the driveway. Garage is not an option (have other toys in there). I do have a Nema 10-30 dryer outlet in the garage. Two options:
Option 1. Install Nema 14-50 close to the driveway. Two quotes i got were for $1900 and $2300. Those were recommended installers from Tesla. I am in San Jose/ Santa Clara. I think there is a $500 PG&E rebate. maybe landlord could help. But i would assume spending around $2000 for option 1.

Option 2. Use the dryer outlet in the garage with an extension cord, plus Tesla 10-30 adapter?https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ECIP0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 or a shorter one.
I know i will not get as much charge. Also read that plugging and unplugging the dryer is not recommended.
From 10-30 outlet to the driveway is 25 feet. Anyone using this setup? if so what is the best way to go about it, some way to use 10-30 less often?I assume spending about $200 for this option 2.

I like option 2 because its portable and i am not tied down, cheaper. The house really works for me and the landlord is easy to get along with, but the real estate market is crazy, I dont know what comes next year when i renew my lease. Option 1 looks better long term.
I have been loosing sleep trying to decide. Would love any help?

An extension cord may be ok for occasional charging on a trip or something, but I would strongly advise against it for your routine charging situation. You may need to remove something from the garage to make room for your X and have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in there. It should be much less expensive than running a line to the driveway.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
My house and garage are disconnected and I eventually ran a new line out to the garage and installed a sub panel. I'm in MN and it was $500, but that was with me digging the 30ft trench and having a spare panel already from upgrading the house panel the year prior. Had my electrician done all the work it was going to be $1200.

Before running the new line I charged from an extension cord every day for 2 months because that was what I had. It was a 120 line and it was slow and I couldn't take the car anywhere far on weekends if I wanted a full charge for work by Monday, but it did the job. I wouldn't have a problem charging from an extension cord in your situation. Do it for a month or so and see how it goes. If its a pain and you don't like it, go back to option 1. But if its no big deal or a slight annoyance to run off an extension cord, I'd do that and save the money since its only a rental and see where you are at when it comes time for your new lease.

I will say I always planned to run the new line to my garage but I had to wait those 2 months for my electrician to get to my place since they were so busy and run a small operation.

Reactions: DoubleDownOn9
Get a 10-30 splitter - you can find them online at Amazon and leave both dryer and car plugged in - though I would NOT recommending running both at same time - you'll trip your breaker.

When I travel to my in-laws house I use a 10-40 extension cord to reach there dryer - it works fine. Get a good quality extension cord if you are going to do that.

I should get about 18 miles an hour from the 10-30. Driving on rare occasions 150 miles a day. This would be max and i am overestimating. Realistically 40-70 miles a day. I have about 7 month left on the lease, i would stay another year if the rate doesn't change, or look into buying. Cant park in the garage. Model X is the practical car, I have a Morgan 3 wheeler in the garage ( has to be in the garage, no roof), and some other things

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't use it but a good (50A) extension cord (they are usually Nema 14-50) and an adapter dongle for 14-30 to 14-50 would work and should not cause any problems. Kid of a pain to plug/unplug with the dryer unless you use a splitter as mentioned. You will also have to set the charge to 24A because you will have a 14-50 plug on the mobile charging side this way and it will think it can use 40A.

You stated the electric panel is far from the driveway but is it close to the garage? In that case installing a 14-50 outlet in the garage would be nicer and you can just use a good 50A extension cord. Not as expensive and faster charging and you don't have to exchange plugs with the dryer.
Tesla UMC Extension Cord via Camco 50 AMP 30' PowerGrip

I am having one installed at our cabin for about $350 next week in the garage, a few feet from the main panel.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I don't use it but a good (50A) extension cord (they are usually Nema 14-50) and an adapter dongle for 14-30 to 14-50 would work and should not cause any problems. Kid of a pain to plug/unplug with the dryer unless you use a splitter as mentioned. You will also have to set the charge to 24A because you will have a 14-50 plug on the mobile charging side this way and it will think it can use 40A.

You stated the electric panel is far from the driveway but is it close to the garage? In that case installing a 14-50 outlet in the garage would be nicer and you can just use a good 50A extension cord. Not as expensive and faster charging and you don't have to exchange plugs with the dryer.
Tesla UMC Extension Cord via Camco 50 AMP 30' PowerGrip

I am having one installed at our cabin for about $350 next week in the garage, a few feet from the main panel.

Good question on adding 14-50 to garage.

I used this cord for 9 months - Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

It’s Tesla only. Do not use on RV (no neutral). Lighter than other 59a cords.

I always try to recommend people keep the appropriate plug in the EVSE to set the power level. Not a fan of the manual method.

• Informative
Reactions: gjunky
I agree unplugging the dryer is going to be a pain. having a slitter as mentioned above would be great. Looking to find the right one how is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SJESLE...t=&hvlocphy=9032171&hvtargid=pla-350493617184 ?
Then one side will be used by the dryer and another by a Tesla. First adapter Model S/X NEMA Adapters then extension cord https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XL2IG8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

I apologize for all the links just want to make sure it works before i buy

• Disagree
I agree unplugging the dryer is going to be a pain. having a slitter as mentioned above would be great. Looking to find the right one how is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SJESLE...t=&hvlocphy=9032171&hvtargid=pla-350493617184 ?
Then one side will be used by the dryer and another by a Tesla. First adapter Model S/X NEMA Adapters then extension cord https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XL2IG8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Just to be safe: If you go this route you will HAVE to set the max charge rate to 24A as the car will think it can charge at 40A

Regarding the house. I attached a picture. Both estimates were for just Nema 14-50.

Attachments

• 2017-11-15.png
    2017-11-15.png
    2 MB · Views: 63
Good question on adding 14-50 to garage.

I used this cord for 9 months - Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

It’s Tesla only. Do not use on RV (no neutral). Lighter than other 59a cords.

I always try to recommend people keep the appropriate plug in the EVSE to set the power level. Not a fan of the manual method.

What would be an appropriate plug in my case? Do i understand correctly if i use the slitter, Tesla adapter, and extension cord, model X will think its using 40A. Even with Tesla 10-30 adapter? in that case do i only change in once manually and it will remember based on GPS location.

Here are my suggestions - I'm struggling to find an inexpensive pre-made Y-Splitter. No, I don't love the dryer buddy, but that's all I have been able to find for a splitter. My google-fu is failing me. Sorry about that. I do like the idea of the dryer buddy that has the switch. Removes the risk of someone turning on the dryer while the car is charging.

I'm making the following assumptions -
- You have a 10-30 outlet your dryer is plugged into
- It would be best to not plug and unplug that outlet frequently.
- Automatic control of the amp limit is a good thing (the GPS can sometime reset)

Option 1
  • Splitter
  • Extension Cord -
    • Heavy Duty 50A Cord - Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.
    • If 20 ft is enough...
    • I picked this cord because it works with 14-30 - it has the neutral removed. You could plug in the standard EVSE with a 14-50 adaptor. Or you could get the 14-30 adaptor and cut off the Neutral pin. The EVSE would work fine.
  • Adaptor
    • Included - 14-50 - no additional purchase, but the GPS current limiting does sometimes reset and could be dangerous.
    • Tesla - 14-30 - would limit the current to 24a. To use above extension cord, the neutral would have to be removed with a saw.

Option 2

Differences -

Option 1 would give you a heavier duty extension cord. Not sure if that is handy or not. Option 2 would be fine. I didn't compare the prices at all. Of course, the option 2 extension cord would be lighter to carry, if you travel and need to tap off someones dryer. In the case of option 2, I would buy a 14-30 (outlet) -> 10-30 (plug) adaptor so you could use the extension cord in an old or newer house.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

No, that would not work. 30A is not just one kind of outlet. Look at the plugs on that one you linked to. They're in a circular formation and are for plugging in and twisting to lock them together. That is nothing like your dryer plug. You can't just look for Y shaped splitter cables. The Dryer Buddy line of product is really what you need. I agree with @brkaus that I do not like the regular kind of Dryer Buddy, where both appliances plugged into it are connected to the outlet all the time, and it relies on you to be sure to remember not to ever run both at the same time, or that you go to get something out of the car while the clothes dryer is running, and when you open the car door the heat comes on, so it starts drawing power from the outlet, which overloads and trips the breaker, etc.. That is not a good idea, so if you're going to do this, do it right. Look for the ones that say "Dryer Buddy Plus" or "Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO". Those will switch to make sure only one is active at a time. The AUTO version is nice because it will detect if your dryer is on or off and enable the car charging side when the dryer is not running. Here is a link to this version with two 10-30 outlets.
Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO #1 Custom 30A 2-way switcher, 5' 10-30 plug cable (before 1996) to two 10-30 outlets with optional kWh/Watt/Volt/Amp meter

Now, to get the extra length to get it out to your driveway. Instead of the extension cords with those extra connection points, and them not quite being the right kind of plug, I would probably recommend this as a solid and foolproof solution. Quick Charge Power is a company that offers a service to lengthen your mobile charge cable that comes with your Tesla. Then it's all very straightforward. You're using the real Tesla 10-30 plug, so it knows the right amount of amps, and you don't have to manually set anything in the car.
Tesla UMC extension

Thanks you all. The suggestions have been great. I agree I can’t find the right Y splitter. Dryer buddy has to be the best option. I like the one with a switch or automatic. With the switch I assume both the dryer and the tesla can be plugged in at the same time and with the switch I can enable one of them. Let’s say I plug in the tesla then walk to the Dryer buddy and flip the switch to the tesla side. Or always keep it on the tesla side and flick it back when need to use the dryer. With the automatic it would do it for me. If that’s the case this will solve the pain of plugging and unplugging.

I would prefer to use an extension cord. I would have an extra option if I am traveling. Plus I seen many use an extension cord and it look to work. It will be inside the garage.

I would really want to have an adapter that would let the car know automatically to draw 24A. Feels safer.

If my understanding is correct. My setup will look like this. In order from the original NEMA 10-30 outlet. 1.Dryer buddy 10-30 and 14-30. 2. Extension cord 14-30 3. Tesla adapter (also sell 14-30 then don’t need to cut neutral?). 4. Tesla charge cord that comes with the car.