Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are incorrect because I guess you have never read about what that Dryer Buddy device is that he specifically linked to. Click on it and check it out. There are a couple of types, but the one he indicated is intentionally built with that lockout functionality so that it will ONLY allow one or the other outlet to be active at a time. It's like an automated toggle switch.
In that case, never mind. :)
This sounds like a reasonable option.

Wanted to give a small update, but have a question as well.

1. Got the Tesla today. About an hour ago. Car is great. Almost a Christmas present. Regarding the dryer buddy, ordered it 1+ month ago. Still didn’t receive it. The seller/maker said he had some family health problems. It’s ok I understand. But for those planning to order it, understand he is making them, testing them and you are on his schedule. Leave yourself more time.

2. I ordered Tesla 14-30 adapter (physicals limit the charge). The car came with Tesla cable and 2 adapters. 110 and 240. Plus a PlugShare adaptor (not related to my concert). Question i don’t think I can plug in 10-30 adapter into Tesla charge cable. What’s going on?
Tesla made adapter can’t be plugged in the new UMC?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 84
You have the brand new version of an adapter but the UMC that had been supplied until last week. You need the original adapter for that, just like the 120V (5-15) and 240V (14-50) adapters it came with.

Note the other item you have is a J1772 adapter, not a “Plugshare” adapter.

Is it possible that new adapter automatically (physically) lowers Amps, the way 10-30 adapter did previously.

I guess others haven’t really experienced this problem, maybe Tesla will come up with the new 10-30 adapter.

I cut the neutral prong before I got the car. For those in my situation, cut the neuteral after you get the car and everything matches.

2. I ordered Tesla 14-30 adapter (physicals limit the charge). The car came with Tesla cable and 2 adapters. 110 and 240. Plus a PlugShare adaptor (not related to my concert). Question i don’t think I can plug in 10-30 adapter into Tesla charge cable. What’s going on?
Tesla made adapter can’t be plugged in the new UMC?
Oh, whoops, you got caught in a very unfortunate changeover time. I had seen some pictures of the newly redesigned mobile charge cable that they were including with the Model 3, and I just heard on the other forum that in the last few weeks they started including that new style with all of their vehicles instead of the older UMC. So from the picture, I see that your UMC and the 14-50 adapter cable for it are the new style, and the dryer adapter you bought is for the older version of UMC.

Yes, pretty unfortunate. I could exchange it, but I cut the neutral off the old adapter already. Maybe they will give me a new one for free or worst case I buy it.

1. I have a bigger problems: waiting for the dryer buddy. Can’t charge the car at home except for 110v (so slow it’s a joke). Who knows when my order will ship it’s been over a month.

2. Can’t charge at the supercharger, connection is too tight. All I get is orange no matter how hard I push. Hopefully service center gets that fixed.

At least the car is great.

This is tangentially related to the OP: I have a Model X with one NEMA 50 amp outlet (50 amp circuit) and will be getting a Model 3 soon and was wondering if there is someway to share one 50 amp circuit to charge both cars without having to manually unplug one in order to charge the other.

Thanks for the info, just for clarification, are you saying if I install 2 HPWCs I can charge two cars with a 14-50 or are you saying no matter what I can't charge two cars simultaneously with a 14-50?
Two different setups. If you're using wall connectors, you don't use ANY 14-50 outlets.

The point is that the new wall connectors are made to be able to run a communication wire between them so that you can wire up to four of them onto one circuit, and they will communicate with each other and share the amps as needed so they never exceed the total rating for that circuit. When one car gets full, it will allocate the amps to the others that are charging automatically.

The 14-50 outlets, though, are just dumb outlets. They can't have any communication, so you shouldn't be trying to have two of those on the same circuit because the cars could try to draw from both at the same time and blow the breaker.

• Helpful
Reactions: EV-lutioin
I would definitely go at that charge port opening with some fine grit sand paper to open it up. It's just plastic, and you only need about a millimeter or less difference to fit the charging cables in.
Please don't do this. Tesla should fix it if there is an issue. If this is your first time charging, make sure NOT to hold the button on the charge cable while plugging in. This button will open the charge door (you can also simply push it with your finger) but is not required to insert the cable. I have seen people having issue with that before and the yellow ring seems to indicate that. If the mobile charging cable fits, then there is no issue with the carge port.

As to charging two cars, as mentioned above, you can have two HPWC on the same electrical circuit. These would be hardwired so there would be no 14-50 or other plug at all. Both HPWCs would have one cable you plug into the Car. It would then automatically "share" the power between the two cars and you can leave them both plugged in overnight without having to switch plugs. (What I plan to do when our Model 3 comes)

Very unfortunte about the (old) adapter and the new UMC.

Please don't do this. Tesla should fix it if there is an issue.
Why not? He has his car and is getting concerned about the car running low because he only has dog-slow 120V available at home and can't use the nearby Supercharger because of this. I had seen in another thread that grinding out that opening to enlarge it is what some of the service centers are doing to fix this anyway, so what's the difference? That's all it really needs.

Why not? He has his car and is getting concerned about the car running low because he only has dog-slow 120V available at home and can't use the nearby Supercharger because of this. I had seen in another thread that grinding out that opening to enlarge it is what some of the service centers are doing to fix this anyway, so what's the difference? That's all it really needs.
Understood but it is a brand new car. Perhaps Tesla can send a Ranger out if he is getting that low but I think it would be good to try the UMC plug first and see if it fits in which case there is nothing wrong with the charge port on the car.

Understood but it is a brand new car. Perhaps Tesla can send a Ranger out if he is getting that low but I think it would be good to try the UMC plug first and see if it fits in which case there is nothing wrong with the charge port on the car.
There IS something wrong with the charge ports on the new cars. Both forums are having multiple threads with lots of people reporting this, and the service centers have been acknowledging they are aware of this issue and are having to fix it on tons of the new cars.