Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What color should the handles be painted?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I am about to have my chrome deleted but I look at other photos on this forum and see black door handles. I am leaning toward having the handles painted to match the body vs. black. I was wondering what everyone else thought about this.

Side note, I was rear-ended so the car is having some paint work done regardless. Yes I am having the delete done with paint.

Midnight Silver and having rims powder coated as well. Please make any other suggestions, caliper colors, leave the "T" logos chrome (my plan). I am looking for a nice clean look.

OK, I am about to have my chrome deleted but I look at other photos on this forum and see black door handles. I am leaning toward having the handles painted to match the body vs. black. I was wondering what everyone else thought about this.

Side note, I was rear-ended so the car is having some paint work done regardless. Yes I am having the delete done with paint.

Midnight Silver and having rims powder coated as well. Please make any other suggestions, caliper colors, leave the "T" logos chrome (my plan). I am looking for a nice clean look.
I had Chrome Deleted with black door handles, looks very good to me, it’s a matter of personal preference I guess.
I did have them also wrap the spoiler black as well. I like it.
Since I got the full XPEL stealth wrap, I also went with black matte/satin finish on for my chrome delete

Reactions: MiamiEV
@MiamiEV

Midnight Silver Metallic Model X with Midnight Silver Metallic Painted Chrome Delete

midnight-silver-metallic-tesla-model-x-t-largo-carbon-fiber-wide-body-22-inch-forged-wheels-wm-1.jpg
midnight-silver-metallic-tesla-model-x-t-largo-carbon-fiber-wide-body-22-inch-forged-wheels-wm-3.jpg
midnight-silver-metallic-tesla-model-x-t-largo-carbon-fiber-wide-body-22-inch-forged-wheels-wm-4.jpg

If all the other chrome is deleted is black then do the handles the same. I kept the logos as well.

I hear you and that is why I am debating it. I just keep thinking, the chrome is going away so it is a blank slate not having to match anything else specific. Then figure matching the car will make it look cleaner vs the black bar. While both look nice I am still leaning toward the body color even with most all votes going for black.

@MiamiEV Send pics on the finished product!
I like the idea of keeping the Ts chrome too for some contrast. And definitrly agree w @Anzir on door handles. I'm curious how those hold up. Did you use plastidip or can the handles be wrapped?

I'm also going to be going chrome delete (black) when my X gets here in a few weeks. Just having some difficulty finding reputable vendors here in Indy . Starting to think a road trip to Chicago would be worth it.

I think body color matching is the way to go. Both the chrome delete and the door handles; it makes them disapear and blend in - sportier.

Disclaimer: I have a solid black car, so for me black is body colored matching...

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
@MiamiEV Send pics on the finished product!
I like the idea of keeping the Ts chrome too for some contrast. And definitrly agree w @Anzir on door handles. I'm curious how those hold up. Did you use plastidip or can the handles be wrapped?

I'm also going to be going chrome delete (black) when my X gets here in a few weeks. Just having some difficulty finding reputable vendors here in Indy . Starting to think a road trip to Chicago would be worth it.

Update: Still a work in progress. As the car is in the shop due to my being rear ended, the parts are taking forever. Everything except for the bottom spoiler is done, waiting for that one to arrive.

So, the chrome. The shop has quoted me like $4,000 for the paint on the chrome delete. The reason why is they say they want to order new pieces to paint to replace. Does not make a while lot of sense to me. I think they forgot to quote me before painting (the last part is just plastic, no paint required) and now it will be more work so they gave me a higher price. As a result I am leaning vinyl.

I did however have them powder coat the the rims, saw the photo and happy but now deciding what next. My tech wants to talk with me about options when I pick up, hopefully next week. Out side of that I got a quote for vinyl chrome delete and a body wrap. Chrome is about $750 and body (no chrome) $2,800. I am in South Florida. In other words, I can wrap the whole car for less than a paint job of chrome delete.

If I go wrap, I am planning on keeping the T's, badges, and just TESLA on the trunk lid (black out the surrounding area).

Will update when able.

Update: Still a work in progress. As the car is in the shop due to my being rear ended, the parts are taking forever. Everything except for the bottom spoiler is done, waiting for that one to arrive.

So, the chrome. The shop has quoted me like $4,000 for the paint on the chrome delete. The reason why is they say they want to order new pieces to paint to replace. Does not make a while lot of sense to me. I think they forgot to quote me before painting (the last part is just plastic, no paint required) and now it will be more work so they gave me a higher price. As a result I am leaning vinyl.

I did however have them powder coat the the rims, saw the photo and happy but now deciding what next. My tech wants to talk with me about options when I pick up, hopefully next week. Out side of that I got a quote for vinyl chrome delete and a body wrap. Chrome is about $750 and body (no chrome) $2,800. I am in South Florida. In other words, I can wrap the whole car for less than a paint job of chrome delete.

If I go wrap, I am planning on keeping the T's, badges, and just TESLA on the trunk lid (black out the surrounding area).

Will update when able.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the collision.

Yea I'm with you, the $4k bid and process in general seems a bit excessive for simple (relatively) chrome delete. Why wouldn't they just paint your current pieces if that's what they want to do? I get not being able to reuse the T's and other badges because of adhesive and difficulty removing...but the rest should be easy enough. Then again, I don't even have my X yet (3 weeks and counting...) so my opinions are based on this forum + way too many YouTube videos

Yeah, make sure you chrome delete the tail gate trim, and DO NOT vinyl wrap that part. I did vinyl/chrome delete on my X and that tail gate trim was wrapped instead of painted. And the lettering doesnt look quite right. (Im actually putting a carbon decal over it.)

• Love
Yeah, make sure you chrome delete the tail gate trim, and DO NOT vinyl wrap that part. I did vinyl/chrome delete on my X and that tail gate trim was wrapped instead of painted. And the lettering doesnt look quite right. (Im actually putting a carbon decal over it.)

I wrapped it myself with an RPMTesla Carbon decal. It takes some patience but it's definitely possible. The E was the hardest to get right.
20180818_145803.jpg

15426193230876407648685589467787.jpg
this is example of why you want to chrome delete paint and not wrap it. However if you get a precut wrap that would probobly work much better, but id personally still paint then wrap over it

View attachment 353890this is example of why you want to chrome delete paint and not wrap it. However if you get a precut wrap that would probobly work much better, but id personally still paint then wrap over it

Surely that's a picture from someone before they trimmed out the letters. I can't imagine any reputable vinyl guy who would just leave the bulges and air bubbles in there.