Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X consumption on 22inch versus 20inch, not all that bad.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
I've been running around in on 20inch shoed Xs for the last 30k or so. I have a set of referral 22inchers waiting to go on the car since last summer, but all the stories of HUGE consumption put me off fitting the wheels...

However today just as we were about to set off on a 160 mile trip the tyre pressure indicator appeared!!!

Despite having decent amount of tread left, the tyre was dead, and the 22inchers made an early appearance.

I have to say regardless of consumption the X looks fab on 22s :).

47332174652_c645c7424a_z_d.jpg

So with the new boots off we went on a tour of UK motorways in Friday traffic, I set the max speed to 68mph, and about 1/3 of the trip was straight into a headwind with gusts of 40mph and rain, but I during traffic free stretches I noticed the energy use wasn't all much more than on 20s.

47387048651_37fd8f9d63_z_d.jpg

The final consumption wasn't all that bad, especially given the conditions.

47334281972_8146608df3_z_d.jpg

Infact the consumption was virtually identical to the same trip done earlier this year in similar conditions. The time difference between the two trips was due to stationary traffic rather than speed.

46828675592_2257323493_z_d.jpg

I recon in urban commute the range on 22s will be far worse than 20s, but long distance range appears to be not much more than 5% worse.

By the end of this weekend we'll have covered another 400 miles, so will be interesting to see what the final figures are like. But initial impression are good, and going from 20 to 23s is no way nearly as bad as I feared:).

This is great information. Thanks for sharing. My MX is on the way with 22s, and I have been a little nervous about the increased consumption reports. I opted for style in this regard, though, as 1) I don't commute that much since I mainly work from home, 2) there are plenty of Superchargers along routes that I might use for long distance travel.

Reactions: OregonX Guy
If you can keep you highway speeds close to 65mph, 350 Wh/mile is doable on the 22's. But at 75mph, it's more like 450 Wh/mile.

Speed over 65mph is the range killer, 20 or 22 wheels, temp, wind none of that matters compared to speed. At 70mph things are still ok, but if you push up to 80mph forget it, be prepared to stop.

Speed over 65mph is the range killer, 20 or 22 wheels, temp, wind none of that matters compared to speed. At 70mph things are still ok, but if you push up to 80mph forget it, be prepared to stop.

Exactly. Fine for local driving but gotta be careful on long road trips. At California highway speeds, my 257 mile rated range is more like 200 miles or less when factoring in 10% buffer.

Exactly. Fine for local driving but gotta be careful on long road trips. At California highway speeds, my 257 mile rated range is more like 200 miles or less when factoring in 10% buffer.
that's true on 20" too. I did 198 miles yesterday starting with 260 rated miles, I arrived with 15 and I was not even particularly pushing it too hard since I knew I needed almost 100% charge to actually not worry about anything. Instead of usual 85-90 I was forced to stay at 80 or below while the thing kept nagging me to "Stay below 75 to reach your destination".

Reactions: Peteybabes
here are the graphs, these are "there and back" legs of a roundtrip. no superhigh elevation change between the points.

I started the trip there at 260 rated miles, went at 80-85mph and the whole trip was 199 miles, dry conditions. ~420wh/mi
85mph.png

On the way back I only had 247 miles of rated range (no time to charge to the full), also it was night (= headlights on) and pouring rain in a thunderstorm (the periods of low speed are due to this - you cannot see anything at all - made for interesting autopilot footage).
I mostly went for 70 and then 75mph as I got closer and it was clear I will make it. Average consumption for this leg ended up being 343Wh/mi. Trip took like 10-15 minutes more than estimated due to lower speed (so not worth it to do the car-suggested 15 minutes supercharger stop).
75mph.png

Edit: when traveling I have this rule of thumb to estimate if I will make it or not (outside of the car predictor of arrival SoC that is not detailed enough):
consider your actual distance and then remaining rated miles left. the difference between the two is how much you can exceed the rated miles (know rated miles wh/mi for your car!). So for my X100D rated wh/mi is 332. 200/260 = 0.769, 332/0.769 = 431 Wh/mi. So that's my absolute top possible consumption to make it. I set my target at 420 in my mind to have some buffer.

Reset your "trip A" at the start if you are not coming from a charging session (last charging is it otherwise) and monitor the average rate not to go above it. This is in addition to energy meter obviously starying below (but energy meter is only for last 30 miles. So you can go for periods of higher consumption as long as you have periods of lower consumption too - that's why on the macro level you use the trip data and on local level you use the energy meter. If your energy meter never goes above the top consumption - you know you are good to go, if it does - need to doublecheck on the trip aggregate. Also learned to ignore the "lower sped to XXX to reach your destination" nags as it's basically trying to ensure you arrive with 5% buffer (15 miles on X100D) which is not always desirable if you know your route well.

On the trip it helps to keep a mental note if the difference between the rated miles left and actual miles left is decreasing in absolute terms or not. If it's not decreasing too rapidly - that's another good proxy to know you are doing everything correctly (the remaining SoC percentage at arrival sort of does it for you too)

After you do a couple of trips like that you also can use a better route planner more optimally though it does require some mental math so probably is not for everybody ;)

Last edited:

This is NOT what I've found thought on a long distance trip.

If going from 20 to 22s really increased consumption at higher speeds by 22%, I would have 100% needed to stop yesterday. Instead I arrived with almost identical consumption on 22s as I did on 20s.

For city driving am 100% sure 22s are awful for consumption, but who cares about range for city driving.....

I've got plenty more long drives to do next few days so will report back :).

Reactions: DustWindDude
Horrendous weather on the return trip today, ended up stopping 2/3 or the way to top up at a SC which was directly enroute.

Consumption on the return trip overall was 8% worse, am pretty sure 90% of that was due to the conditions. 20s same conditons would have been better, but not that much.

Hopefully will get more chance to test road trip consumption in normal road conditions next few days.

46674434014_5ca653514a_b.jpg

Had more time with the 22s on, over 500 miles done.

Overall consumption appears to be not more than 5-10% worse than 20s even in city traffic. Over 55 miles, AP set at 65mph, averaging 63 mph including turn around at 25 miles, consumption was bang on built in range predictor, infact a tab better.

32506275677_650b73651a_z_d.jpg

47447995821_37648f3f38_z_d.jpg

Actually overall consumption for the same trip a few months ago on 20s wasn't much less. I've also only recently started using AP on long trips, my overall impression is AP isn't great for efficiency as its very aggressive at maintaining speed/overtaking acceleration. Still AP is now very good and am happy to trade some consumption for ease of use.

40482286213_941217294c_z_d.jpg

Overall am really happy with how the 22s look and actually the drop in efficiency isnt bad at all. I've now put new tyres on the 20s, and they will be going back on come winter, when consumption does matter. Till than loving the new rims, cannot believe Tesla gave out so many of these sets for 'free'!!!

Anyone thinking of going from 20s to 22s go for it, work on 10% range reduction and your be fine. Plus its always a bonus to have a second set of wheels ready to go on incase of a bad puncture - like I had.

47412027271_9385ed9eb5_z_d.jpg

32469998267_3155d33ec0_z_d.jpg

Reactions: Axtrader and tllt
I have 22's, and they don't consume as much as people here love to complain about.
People here just really love to knock down 22 inch wheels because they didn't want to pay the extra $5500.

They're not bad at all. Range it 95% more about how you drive rather than your tires.
i have 22's from the factory...they're horrible on range.

but seeing as your in atlanta i suppose it'd be tough testing highway speeds due to sitting in the 6 lane parking lot that goes through atlanta?

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
I have 22's, and they don't consume as much as people here love to complain about.
People here just really love to knock down 22 inch wheels because they didn't want to pay the extra $5500.

They're not bad at all. Range it 95% more about how you drive rather than your tires.

I'm pretty sure at least 50% of people on 22s probably have got them as referral prize.

I didn't put our on the car till been forced too by a puncture despite having the 22s in the shed for nearly 12 months!!

Consumption is worse on 22s versus 20s, but not the 20%+ I've seen suggested. Max 10%, and at steady speed not much more than 5%.

AP + 22s + overtaking is probably the worst combination for range. This 'spike' was over taking a truck doing 55mph when I had AP set to 65mph, that's ALOT of extra power consumed for a small gain. Repeat that every few miles over a 100 mile trip that's a big drain on power.

However am not sure how much of that is AP behaviour or how much down to extra power needed to acclerate 22s.

47397614071_e6b7d98e61_b.jpg

AP + 22s + overtaking is probably the worst combination for range. This 'spike' was over taking a truck doing 55mph when I had AP set to 65mph, that's ALOT of extra power consumed for a small gain. Repeat that every few miles over a 100 mile trip that's a big drain on power.

I wonder if it wouldn't have such a dramatic impact overall if you passed the truck more quickly at a faster speed. It looks like you took half a mile to overtake the truck, if I am reading that correctly. At 65 MPH, that's almost 30 seconds in the turbulent wind created by the truck.

Thanks for posting all this information. It definitely helped me make a decision about which wheels to get. Going with the 22s for summer, and getting a set of 20s on winter rubber for colder weather.