Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Continuing AC issues - What to do?

What should I do?

• Buyback and a New Tesla X

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Buyback and Something Else

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Keep the current X and give them "one more chance"

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Buy a second X to use wile the first one is in the shop (Joke fanboi answer, I'm not rich enough)

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm normally a pretty patient guy and have typically glossed over the small issues on our X that everyone has (MCU Yellow border, body control module issues, paint and interior quality challenges, window and door alignment, FSD/EAP features, lack of AP for the first x months, etc.). However we've had a recurring problem that I unfortunately cant gloss over and I'm looking for advice.

First the background:
Dec 2016 AP2 build/delivery X90D with everything (no Performance but everything else, including FSD and EAP) - about $130k out the door

In July 2017, about 7 months after we bought the car, while in the middle of a road trip thru Arizona, the A/C stopped working. Shutting the car down completely (e-brake/shutdown menu) and walking aware for about an hour reset it and it would sometimes start working again. (so intermittent issue). When it stopped, both front and back would blow hot air. Needless to say this was not ideal. When we got back we took it in for service. It was "fixed". But it wasn't. Issue re-occurred. a Month later, in for service again to fix it. But they didn't, issue re-occurred within 2 weeks. At this time, because the issue was intermittent and clearly hard to diagnose and because the weather was getting cooler (less need for the AC), we decided to deal with it when something else broke or it became a bigger issue. This is also due to both Dublin and Fremont's loaner fleet being in general Model S60 enterprise loaners or enterprise ICE vehicles. We have 3 car seats and bought the X for a reason. It is also our only car besides a large diesel truck. Every time we take it in for service, they sit on it for 3-5 days and we're left packing 3 kids into the truck. Similarly, we have the yellowing around the MCU screen, but haven't had it dealt with for the same reasons.

In February, it got warm, A/C issue reappeared intermittently. Then in June, The rear A/C stopped working completely. This is a big issue in the X with kids back there as it gets very warm very fast under the back glass. So we had to schedule service and take it in.

We called and scheduled what we were told would be a same day service appointment with Fremont (Dublin was several weeks out), and we were told that because it was Fremont, any parts should be easily available. We dropped the car in Fremont June 12th. At drop off I was informed that they couldn’t repair it that day, but they would have it done by the end of the week (it was Tuesday). On Friday we called and where informed it had not been looked at and they hoped to look at it “early next week”. They finally looked at it the following Monday and determined that it needed parts, parts that they couldn't get locally. Because of this they ultimately were not able to get the car back to us until the following Tuesday (June 26th), two weeks after we dropped it off and 8 days from when they determined it needed parts. Not exactly what i was looking for when I called and was told same day.

On Weds (the day after we got the car back) the air conditioning stopped working completely and a message on the dash was displayed to call service. This time my wife insisted on speaking to a manager and would not wait for a call back. She informed the manager that at this point this was the 4th attempt to fix this issue and we’re starting to consider our options with regards to a lemon claim. The manager asked for one more chance to fix it. The managed dispatched someone Thursday to pickup the car, take it to Fremont, fix the issue and bring it back. The fix was an O ring TSB that “should have been fixed long ago and was probably causing the A/C issues from the beginning”. We got the car back Thursday night (6/28). On Monday (7/2, yesterday) we noticed the rear air conditioning was again blowing hot air. The front A/C is currently working fine. Today (Tuesday 7/3) we called Fremont service and where told we could take it in today (which would be the 5th time for this issue), but the earliest they could look at it would be Friday or Monday.

So I'm at a cross roads. 4 unsuccessful attempts. Without the car for close to a month out of 18 months of ownership on a car that's incredibly expensive. I'm not a super wealthy guy, so buying this car was a stretch and we went from 2 cars down to really 1 to make it work. Yes I don't have the door issues, or body shop issues some have. But the wife is done with this, and i have to admit, I'm pretty much there myself.

Given our experience, the apparent lack of interest and the past conversation about giving them one more chance we are considering starting the process of buyback. Unfortunately, on a $130,000 car, having a working air conditioner is apparently too much to ask for. The Model X is What is the next step for the buyback? We've asked the Fremont service center and they claim their starting the process, whatever that means. Does anyone have experience with this? Car has about 34k miles on it now, had 16k when it went in for the issue the first time at 7 months (after a 5k mile road trip).

If we do go with something else, any other SUVs that come close? (Looking at a Navigator L or Cadillac Escalade ESV in order to have the 6 seats and cargo room the X has. Used to have a Navigator L before the X, so yes, I know its a big pig).

I love Autopilot (not the nags, but meh...) I want to stay on the journey, but I don't trust this can be fixed after 4 tries, and with all the new 3's, I don't know how long until Tesla can get service up to where it needs to be for this level of cost. Are the new X's perfect from the factory? (I doubt it just going by all the things on mine that aren't AC related that I've chosen not to make a deal out of).

Also, the escalate issue to executive feature on the Tesla website is conveniently broken today...

Hi all, I'm normally a pretty patient guy and have typically glossed over the small issues on our X that everyone has (MCU Yellow border, body control module issues, paint and interior quality challenges, window and door alignment, FSD/EAP features, lack of AP for the first x months, etc.). However we've had a recurring problem that I unfortunately cant gloss over and I'm looking for advice.

First the background:
Dec 2016 AP2 build/delivery X90D with everything (no Performance but everything else, including FSD and EAP) - about $130k out the door

In July 2017, about 7 months after we bought the car, while in the middle of a road trip thru Arizona, the A/C stopped working. Shutting the car down completely (e-brake/shutdown menu) and walking aware for about an hour reset it and it would sometimes start working again. (so intermittent issue). When it stopped, both front and back would blow hot air. Needless to say this was not ideal. When we got back we took it in for service. It was "fixed". But it wasn't. Issue re-occurred. a Month later, in for service again to fix it. But they didn't, issue re-occurred within 2 weeks. At this time, because the issue was intermittent and clearly hard to diagnose and because the weather was getting cooler (less need for the AC), we decided to deal with it when something else broke or it became a bigger issue. This is also due to both Dublin and Fremont's loaner fleet being in general Model S60 enterprise loaners or enterprise ICE vehicles. We have 3 car seats and bought the X for a reason. It is also our only car besides a large diesel truck. Every time we take it in for service, they sit on it for 3-5 days and we're left packing 3 kids into the truck. Similarly, we have the yellowing around the MCU screen, but haven't had it dealt with for the same reasons.

In February, it got warm, A/C issue reappeared intermittently. Then in June, The rear A/C stopped working completely. This is a big issue in the X with kids back there as it gets very warm very fast under the back glass. So we had to schedule service and take it in.

We called and scheduled what we were told would be a same day service appointment with Fremont (Dublin was several weeks out), and we were told that because it was Fremont, any parts should be easily available. We dropped the car in Fremont June 12th. At drop off I was informed that they couldn’t repair it that day, but they would have it done by the end of the week (it was Tuesday). On Friday we called and where informed it had not been looked at and they hoped to look at it “early next week”. They finally looked at it the following Monday and determined that it needed parts, parts that they couldn't get locally. Because of this they ultimately were not able to get the car back to us until the following Tuesday (June 26th), two weeks after we dropped it off and 8 days from when they determined it needed parts. Not exactly what i was looking for when I called and was told same day.

On Weds (the day after we got the car back) the air conditioning stopped working completely and a message on the dash was displayed to call service. This time my wife insisted on speaking to a manager and would not wait for a call back. She informed the manager that at this point this was the 4th attempt to fix this issue and we’re starting to consider our options with regards to a lemon claim. The manager asked for one more chance to fix it. The managed dispatched someone Thursday to pickup the car, take it to Fremont, fix the issue and bring it back. The fix was an O ring TSB that “should have been fixed long ago and was probably causing the A/C issues from the beginning”. We got the car back Thursday night (6/28). On Monday (7/2, yesterday) we noticed the rear air conditioning was again blowing hot air. The front A/C is currently working fine. Today (Tuesday 7/3) we called Fremont service and where told we could take it in today (which would be the 5th time for this issue), but the earliest they could look at it would be Friday or Monday.

So I'm at a cross roads. 4 unsuccessful attempts. Without the car for close to a month out of 18 months of ownership on a car that's incredibly expensive. I'm not a super wealthy guy, so buying this car was a stretch and we went from 2 cars down to really 1 to make it work. Yes I don't have the door issues, or body shop issues some have. But the wife is done with this, and i have to admit, I'm pretty much there myself.

Given our experience, the apparent lack of interest and the past conversation about giving them one more chance we are considering starting the process of buyback. Unfortunately, on a $130,000 car, having a working air conditioner is apparently too much to ask for. The Model X is What is the next step for the buyback? We've asked the Fremont service center and they claim their starting the process, whatever that means. Does anyone have experience with this? Car has about 34k miles on it now, had 16k when it went in for the issue the first time at 7 months (after a 5k mile road trip).

If we do go with something else, any other SUVs that come close? (Looking at a Navigator L or Cadillac Escalade ESV in order to have the 6 seats and cargo room the X has. Used to have a Navigator L before the X, so yes, I know its a big pig).

I love Autopilot (not the nags, but meh...) I want to stay on the journey, but I don't trust this can be fixed after 4 tries, and with all the new 3's, I don't know how long until Tesla can get service up to where it needs to be for this level of cost. Are the new X's perfect from the factory? (I doubt it just going by all the things on mine that aren't AC related that I've chosen not to make a deal out of).

Also, the escalate issue to executive feature on the Tesla website is conveniently broken today...
Damn - so sorry to hear this and, frankly, there is NO excuse.

Tesla did a buy back on my previous X when they crashed it, despite the SC manager immediately telling me they were ordering me a new one it took weeks for it to work it's way up the chain of command to get the authorization - but luckily, in the meantime I had an X loaner for what they committed was the duration.

You may want to look at Lemon Law (not sure if this qualifies).

I would suggest getting in touch with the SC Manager and, if that has already happened, there is a Regional SC Manager somewhere I am sure they can have you speak with. Check in with your OA if all else fails, they can get you names and numbers and are not in the direct line of fire...

Good luck and, again, I am sorry to hear about this.

Honestly if that happened to me I am not sure I would go back to one. We have an X, but the main car I was considering vs the X was Volvo XC90? I am glad Tesla did the right thing in buying back your car.

I now always ask for mobile ranger service, then you know someone is coming and only working on your car and working on it the minute they get there. It sounds like they have expanded the things they can work on. Maybe that can minimize your time away from your car, if they can fix the issues you have in the future?

Reactions: 1 person
From what I've seen so far on this forum, the majority of Model Xs, especially recent builds, have few to no quality issues, though unfortunately, when a car does have a major problem, it sometimes seems to spiral, like in your case. Your experience definitely sucks, there's no getting around that, but it sounds like they're ultimately doing the right thing. Do they do the buyback for the entire original purchase price, or for a reduced amount for the 18 months you've had it?

Either way, I think another MX makes a lot of sense if the AC issues are really your only complaint. There's a few on the road that have AC issues, but it doesn't seem to be a pervasive problem, so it's a pretty safe bet, especially if you're getting a more recent build.

There was a member here who got his car bought back for FWD issues look him up in the X forums I sure he can give u some advice :eek:
Are you talking about me? ;)

Sorry to hear about your issues. I truly understand how frustration it is when you have 3 car seats just like me. They should've offered you a buyback based on the mileage of your first occurrence of the issue, which I guess is whatever mileage you had at 7 months. Shouldn't be that bad. I'd take up the offer and get a new X like I did.

The newer Xes are not without issues. Your AC issue does not sound normal either so no one can guarantee if you will get a different issue. My 2nd X is in the SC for the 2nd time since I got it in 3/2018. Hopefully they have solved all the issues as I don't want to get stuck with an ICE rental any more.

People like to say owners who had no issue would not go on the forum to complain, and only those who have issues complain. I don't quite agree with this because of my personal experience, but we'll leave it at that.

Are you talking about me? ;)

Sorry to hear about your issues. I truly understand how frustration it is when you have 3 car seats just like me. They should've offered you a buyback based on the mileage of your first occurrence of the issue, which I guess is whatever mileage you had at 7 months. Shouldn't be that bad. I'd take up the offer and get a new X like I did.

The newer Xes are not without issues. Your AC issue does not sound normal either so no one can guarantee if you will get a different issue. My 2nd X is in the SC for the 2nd time since I got it in 3/2018. Hopefully they have solved all the issues as I don't want to get stuck with an ICE rental any more.

People like to say owners who had no issue would not go on the forum to complain, and only those who have issues complain. I don't quite agree with this because of my personal experience, but we'll leave it at that.

Yeah, we're leaning towards the buyback and another X. Buyback price was based on the original issue occurrence. Going from a 90 to a 100 for the same price and going form a very late 2016 to a 2018, likely going for center console (anyone know if any of the showrooms in the bay area have one i can look at?), all things that weren't available when we bought ours. Loosing ventilated seats (not that big a deal), and i guess the premium data. I guess its all synthetic leather now as well. Seems like everything else is pretty much the same (with manufacturing improvements). My goal is to get one that was built mid quarter if possible, and try to use mobile service as mentioned above when i can. I already have plenty of accessories (Sun shades, HPWC, Chademo, etc.) so thats a plus. They said they'd give me all weather floor mats after the service where they held the car for 2 weeks, so i guess i'll push for those as well. My only concern is that service goes down hill from hear due to the volume of model 3, (look at the issues in europe with parts and service). Assuming they get that back under control, then this seems like the right answer.

Reactions: 1 person
OP: I initiated a "Buy Back." Basically, spoke to our local sales manager who clearly understands we are not happy and will act as a mediator between Tesla legal counsel and their resolution team. I just sent a detailed email to them. Let see where it goes.

If you are going to do the Buy Back please PM me about how its going because at least we can help each other along the way or if you feel comfortable we can help other victims by posting here.

Hi all, Quick update. We've decided to go with another X and placed the order for it (100d, loaded) and accepted the buy back. Tesla was very accommodating thru the process and the experience was overall very good. Hopefully the new X is (relatively) problem free. Its good to see though that Tesla does still at its core try to make things better.
Are you still going to drive the current X during the process of them making a new car for you? If that's 2 months out, what are you going to do otherwise? Do they expect you to turn the current X in immediately for your buy back and then figure something out while you wait?

Are you still going to drive the current X during the process of them making a new car for you? If that's 2 months out, what are you going to do otherwise? Do they expect you to turn the current X in immediately for your buy back and then figure something out while you wait?
Negotiable. For me they let me keep the car until my replacement arrives. There were probably couple weeks of overlap before they asked me take it in.

If you aren’t getting a Tesla replacement, I don’t know if you can still negotiate that.

On a side note it was funny I had to bring my new car in for service and saw my old car just parked on the street. They gave me an ICE rental and won’t let me take my old car as loaner :(

Negotiable. For me they let me keep the car until my replacement arrives. There were probably couple weeks of overlap before they asked me take it in.

If you aren’t getting a Tesla replacement, I don’t know if you can still negotiate that.

On a side note it was funny I had to bring my new car in for service and saw my old car just parked on the street. They gave me an ICE rental and won’t let me take my old car as loaner :(
Couldn't mark this as both funny and informative! :p

Good info on the buyback.

Bonkers that you couldn't take your old car as a loaner and they gave you an ICE instead, but that's another story. I have a huge issue with not getting like-for-like when it comes to loaners.

Yeah, we're leaning towards the buyback and another X. Buyback price was based on the original issue occurrence. Going from a 90 to a 100 for the same price and going form a very late 2016 to a 2018, likely going for center console (anyone know if any of the showrooms in the bay area have one i can look at?), all things that weren't available when we bought ours. Loosing ventilated seats (not that big a deal), and i guess the premium data. I guess its all synthetic leather now as well. Seems like everything else is pretty much the same (with manufacturing improvements). My goal is to get one that was built mid quarter if possible, and try to use mobile service as mentioned above when i can. I already have plenty of accessories (Sun shades, HPWC, Chademo, etc.) so thats a plus. They said they'd give me all weather floor mats after the service where they held the car for 2 weeks, so i guess i'll push for those as well. My only concern is that service goes down hill from hear due to the volume of model 3, (look at the issues in europe with parts and service). Assuming they get that back under control, then this seems like the right answer.

Just received my New X a couple of weeks ago. They are much better than the early ‘16 version I have. FiT-finish, doors, latches all better and we’re really happy we went with the center console.

Btw: if you have a gen 1 HPWC, get the service mgr to throw in a Gen2 HPWC for free.

They've agreed to provide a Model X loaner for the duration. They are also expediting the new car (I live near the Factory)