Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not an S but an X (on second thought when blowing up the poor quality image it does look like an S with door handle towards the back). Here's the story from CBS5 in the SF area.

Fiery Crash Blocks Lanes On Highway 101 In Mountain View

BTW the Mercury News as a source limits you to only a few views per month. I was unable to read and hate linking to sites like this for this reason. Did the Mercury News add anything different?

The 101/85 exit area is always very busy especially during rush hour. Best wishes to the Tesla driver who has serious injuries. Man that Telsa is frightening to see.

Well not sure now but from reports/photos it was an X. NBC is reporting it was an X and the rear does look higher up than the S. Yes an X. There's a view of the car from the rear in the video on NBCbayarea twitter feed that clearly shows it. They have a few videos of the accident scene there: NBC Bay Area (@nbcbayarea) | Twitter

Tesla Model X Catches Fire After Crashing on U.S. Hwy. 101

Last edited:
So when the front of your car is gone, was data preserved at Tesla OTA? I know in the Uber Tempe accident one of the articles on it showed the Uber had a recording device located in the rear driver side panel (which I would think would be a somewhat common place for cars to be damaged in accidents). Really not familiar with how Tesla collects data. Wonder what happened that he hit the median.

very scary looking wreckage. my best wishes to everyone involved

It's not an S but an X (on second thought when blowing up the poor quality image it does look like an S with door handle towards the back).

Actually, I think it looks like an X, and the news article also does say "SUV". if you watch the video, that shiny spot "door handle" in the low-rez photo looks like it's a reflection, whereas you can see the rear door handle is actually on the forward part of the door (like on an X). Also the proportions of the rear quarter panel seem more X-ish.

Looking at the twitter images I noticed that there is no left white line before the median though there is right white line for the ramp. Is it possible that Autopilot steered left thinking that the ramp right white line is the left white line for the HOV the car is driving on?

my best wishes to the people involved..

Oh gosh, that looks like a terrible high speed crash. They took him to a great hospital, so hopefully the driver will make it. I guess we will later find out what was going on at the time? Distracted driver? Auto-pilot? Avoiding something? I hate to guess. Seems unusual to be a fire though.

Oh gosh, that looks like a terrible high speed crash. They took him to a great hospital, so hopefully the driver will make it. I guess we will later find out what was going on at the time? Distracted driver? Auto-pilot? Avoiding something? I hate to guess. Seems unusual to be a fire though.

Fire may have been due to 12V battery/wiring, but would not rule out pack damage given high speed direct impact plus two other cars hitting it.

Reactions: FlyF4
Fire may have been due to 12V battery/wiring, but would not rule out pack damage given high speed direct impact plus two other cars hitting it.
Good point. I would also not rule out pack damage, yet in every test I have seen and tests I've reviewed from fires due to this technology over the years, when a pack goes (whether in a car, laptop, etc) it is more often a very rapid violent event that is practically explosive in nature.

I thought all battery packs have titanium shields these days to avoid fire.. though not sure if they hold intact in high speed crash.
right, bit hold on there a minute. It is not determined that pack fire is the fault. And that shield can be violated in a high impact, so I guess all bets are off at this point. We'll certainly find out sooner or later.

As they reported he hit the flat barrier point (gore point -- how descriptive) that separates the 85 fly over and the southbound car pool lanes for 101, I wonder if he/or she? was intending to take 85 or stay on the 101. They didn't mention anyone else in the car (if driving carpool). We traveled this way many times since they built the fly over and this was just scary to see. Believe there was wreckage on 85 too.

They said he was at highway speeds.

Really close up photos (3--scroll through) on KTVU's website of the front driver/passenger side: Tesla crashes, catches fire on Hwy 101 in Mountain View I wonder if the front blew apart when it hit the barrier or if the firefighters used equipment to extract the driver. The last photo is captioned that Tesla engineers were testing the power lines and damaged battery before removing the car. This article also confirms it was a male driver in the Tesla. Tesla's not that far from this area so I guess not surprised they were able to get someone over there quickly to assist the firefighters and police.

Last edited:
I thought all battery packs have titanium shields these days to avoid fire.. though not sure if they hold intact in high speed crash.
The titanium shield is a strip underneath the battery to protect it from road debris (which it did perfectly on our car). It doesn't protect against an impact like this.
I hope the driver(s) are ok.

Good point. I would also not rule out pack damage, yet in every test I have seen and tests I've reviewed from fires due to this technology over the years, when a pack goes (whether in a car, laptop, etc) it is more often a very rapid violent event that is practically explosive in nature.

Are most of those bare cells? The 3 pack has vent holes, not sure if the S/X does also. The pack, along with module housing and the flame retardant lining in the cell itself would help reduce the severity if it does go.