Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are you reading this thread

Because it's still discussing an event from March and showing up in the "latest posts". I never argued against the points you all are making, but shouldn't these things be followed up with the proper CA authorities instead of just digging up an article that has defamed Tesla beyond belief?

I'm pretty sure Ford or Chevy forum goers don't beat a Ford accident + fire to death. Just a thought! I didn't mean to say "shut up" nor did I mean any disrespect!

Because it's still discussing an event from March and showing up in the "latest posts". I never argued against the points you all are making, but shouldn't these things be followed up with the proper CA authorities instead of just digging up an article that has defamed Tesla beyond belief?

I'm pretty sure Ford or Chevy forum goers don't beat a Ford accident + fire to death. Just a thought! I didn't mean to say "shut up" nor did I mean any disrespect!
This thread documents caltrans negligence.

To judge how soon the final report will come out:

The NTSB threatened to ban Tesla from participation in the investigation if Tesla keeps going to the public about the crash details for the next 12 to 24 months.

It's not 24 months just yet!
Our secretive government at work.

I see that they completely left out the repainting of the lanes to direct cars directly into the concrete wall that I pointed out days after the crash happened. The usual apologists said that we are supposed to drive like maniacs following every piece of paint regardless of how head-snapping the wobbly lanes are made from the paint rather than the smooth curve as originally designed and constructed and still physically in place at that particular intersection, and many other freeways where CalTrans has similarly turned nice smooth curves into ratchety swerving lanes by redrawing the paint.

Back in the news as family files lawsuits against Tesla and State.

Tesla Sued by Family of Engineer Who Died in Model X Crash

Given that he was an engineer, knew that area had repeatedly caused him problems with lane following, knew what beta software was, knew or should have known when he accepted Autopilot to be activated that driver attention was required still at all times, had car warnings that he had his hands off the wheel for several times that same morning, I have a problem believing he thought the car was some invincible automobile that would protect him from speeding, etc that sounds like the basis for their suit based on this article.

Last edited:
The article said that the lawsuit blames Tesla's autopilot as defective.

Without an official report from NTSB, it might be premature for the lawsuit.

If the report will blame Tesla, they'll have a better chance by citing the report.

I guess they want to take their chance now knowing that NTSB might clear Tesla of any malfunctions just as in the Florida case that the Autopilot did not activate brakes during the tractor-trailer collision.

ABC7 and Dan Noyes did the exclusive stories with the family and a few follow ups a while ago, so figured they would have a report of their own and they do which gives more info than NBC Bay Area news.

Wrongful death lawsuit filed in deadly, fiery Tesla crash in Mountain View

Interestingly the Request for Tips at the end of the article doesn’t appear on other stories on their site that I read.

Last edited:
With CalTrans, there might be an argument. If they'd reset that barrier like it was designed for...

That is most important. They also should have painted the lane lines properly, and painted the gore zone properly, and labeled the barrier with a larger sign so an inattentive driver would be more likely to see it.

Let's hope that Justice is served and CalTrans is held accountable for their actions... or lack thereof.

Reactions: MXWing and bhzmark
ABC7 and Dan Noyes did the exclusive stories with the family and a few follow ups a while ago, so figured they would have a report of their own and they do which gives more info than NBC Bay Area news.

Wrongful death lawsuit filed in deadly, fiery Tesla crash in Mountain View

Interestingly the Request for Tips at the end of the article doesn’t appear on other stories on their site that I read.

"SEVEN TO TEN TIMES THAT MODEL X VEERED TOWARDS THE SAME BARRIER" - Walter Huang.

I do that *sugar* more than once and my wife becomes a divorcee before she becomes a widow.

FFS, use the middle lane maybe? Or not use AP when not appropriately to do so? I've sent a text, email with AP on but it takes me FOREVER to do so.

Why?

I spent 9/10 cycles with eyes on the road and 1/10 on my device. 9/10 on device and 1/10 on the road makes you a Darwin award candidate.

Until Tesla is the named insured on my policy I'm not going to sleep behind the wheel.

And not even then.

Last edited:
Maybe Tesla should word the disclaimer stronger with a more clear language such as "AP is currently in the experimental (a.ka. "Beta" stage). When using AP, the car WILL DO THINGS WHICH WILL RESULT IN AN ACCIDENT AND POSSIBLY DEATHS IF YOU DON'T TAKE OVER. It might do it once a week, it might do it once a year, or once a decade, but it will at some point kill you if you don't intervene, so you agree to be vigilant and have full situational awareness at all times when using this feature and be ready to take over at any time without any notice from the car. By using this feature you agree to assume all all liability for anything the car does whether AP is enabled or not, even if the AP action breaks traffic laws or does something completely irrational such as impale the car into a median, or drive into oncoming traffic, etc".

Have people read the more direct language, acknowledge they understand, then sign with a notary present - no more problems with lawsuits.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911