TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Creaking noise while starting to move

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Technupe, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Technupe

Technupe Member

Just picked up a 2017 Model X overall great condition but there is an odd sound when I start to move from a stop or get close to stopping from a move listen to video. Anyone encounter this, potential fixed, I’m setting up a service appointment but curious if this is common.

2. ek993

ek993 Member

Mine does exactly the same. 8/2018 X that I have owned since new - 8k miles on the clock now.

Am planning on taking it in to a service center soon, been holding out as want to get the AP3 HW swap (I have FSD package) and yellowing MCU / screen fix done at the same time.

3. Technupe

Technupe Member

I have an appointment for Tuesday, I’ll post an update here. Is there a process to get the HW3 swap i have FSD too.

4. jet44

jet44 Member

I’m very interested in the X but all the creaks and rattles I keep reading about seriously deter me - any thoughts on this from current owners? How are the 2019 builds vs 2016 fit & finishes?

5. ek993

ek993 Member

Maybe try giving them a call and ask if they will add it to the service visit scope of work - will be interested to see what their response is.

6. ek993

ek993 Member

Any update from the service center on either the creaking sound or having AP hardware upgraded?

7. Technupe

Technupe Member

Cars there and I lost communication with the service center since I dropped it off yesterday lol. I’ll update here when I get the car back, if I do.

• Like x 1
  8. Yosry

Yosry Member

10/18, same from day, was told it is normal with x, it is better if u disengage the hold feature while backing up

9. Technupe

Technupe Member

Hey, got the car back this morning! Got a text at midnight that the car was ready. I haven't noticed the noise at all since I picked it up this morning but need to drive it around some more to see if it's truly gone.

Here's what they did to solve the problem:

1. Correction: Link - Front Suspension - Lower - Fore - LH (Remove & Replace)
    2. Correction: Link - Front Suspension - Lower - Fore - RH (Remove & Replace)
    3. Correction: Four Wheel Alignment - Check and Adjust (with Air Suspension)
    4. Correction: Ride Height - Adjust
    5. Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (1st Generation) (Remove and Replace)
    6. Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (1st Generation) (Remove and Replace)

New Fore Links, alignments, and half shafts (axle?)

Regarding the AP Hardware, they admitted that they've heard of progress, but mentioned it's probably only occurring on the west coast or cali, because they haven't done any or got instructions to do any in their shop.

• Like x 1
  10. ek993

ek993 Member

Thanks for updating! Will get mine booked in soon. Shame about the AP HW3, hopefully will make its way over to East Coast soon.

• Like x 1
  11. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Love my Dec. 2016..