Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - creaking suspension / worn front control arms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sean.

Jun 30, 2020
Suffolk (UK)
Hi - My car has developed quite creaky front suspension in the last week or so @ 54K miles. Without putting it on the hoist, I’m presuming it’s going to be worn front susp. control arms.

Has anyone has this done at the SC recently, (presumably out of warranty)? Am I looking at the thick end of grand?

thanks

Going in Monday to get it looked at. In case it helps anyone they quoted only for the RH upper control arm £220+VAT parts, £268+VAT labour. Obv if both arm need replacing, as I expect they will then it’s double that, so yeah will be near enough £1K as I thought. Ah the joys!

This is/was a known warranty issue. The control arms on mine failed last year when under warranty, Tesla replaced both.

My car is going to be out of warranty soon, got it booked in at a local independent garage for a full check up + air con regas (first paid for 'service' in 41k miles). They will also have a check of everything else incase something needs to be done before the warranty lapses.

Am still not sure about the extended warranty, its not that expensive at £3300 for 4 years, but it excludes loads of stuff including air suspension, MCU, seats etc.

Upvote 0
So far my out of warranty / out of my pocket repair expenses on this car include the RH rear light cluster / excessive condensation (last month) and these upper control arms.

Last year the heater unit was replaced under warranty, as was drivers door opening pusher kit. They’re inspecting my CHAdeMO adapter, but have given me a new one to use.

It’s had new tyres at about 33k. Probably get another 10K from this set.

I guess likely failure points in the near term are air suspension, also all the various rubber seals on the falcon doors. Battery seems fine, but we’ve dropped to another capacity plateau recently. Driveline and motors should be good for a couple of hundred thou, although the diff is (characteristically I told) graunchy in cold weather on near/full lock. Kind of like me 🤣

Upvote 0
So far my out of warranty / out of my pocket repair expenses on this car include the RH rear light cluster / excessive condensation (last month) and these upper control arms.

Last year the heater unit was replaced under warranty, as was drivers door opening pusher kit. They’re inspecting my CHAdeMO adapter, but have given me a new one to use.

It’s had new tyres at about 33k. Probably get another 10K from this set.

I guess likely failure points in the near term are air suspension, also all the various rubber seals on the falcon doors. Battery seems fine, but we’ve dropped to another capacity plateau recently. Driveline and motors should be good for a couple of hundred thou, although the diff is (characteristically I told) graunchy in cold weather on near/full lock. Kind of like me 🤣
Glad to see you’re retaining your sense of humour, not so sure I would be able to in those circumstances, tyres aside, it sounds like warranty work to me, but that seems to be the “Tesla way”☹️

Upvote 0
Wow, £3,300 and they exclude suspension, MCU and seats. All the stuff that’s quite likely to go wrong in these cars. What else do they actually cover?

Not alot it appear, parts not covered include:

- brake pads/linings, brake rotor, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, air conditioning lines, hoses or connections, battery testing, fluid changes, appearance care for the interior and exterior (such as cleaning and polishing, dent removal, rectifying upholstery wrinkles, scrapes, scratches, or blemishes, wear and tear items, road rash, and the like), filters and wiper blades/inserts; and

– Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, air spring modules and shock absorbers/dampers, 12V battery, battery cables, key fob batteries, lenses, light bulbs, headlights and sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);

– Removable soft tops, removable hard tops, glass, plastic, framing, cables, or seals;

– Parts, accessories and charging equipment that were not included in the purchase of the Vehicle (including, but not limited to the Mobile Connector, Wall Connector, any future connectors, and charging equipment and adapters); these items have their own warranties and are subject to their own terms and conditions, which will be provided to You as applicable;

So essentially it covers the doors?? and that about it??

Anyways I've found a local HEVRA approved garage about 2 miles from the house, they seem pretty unphased about working on the X, so longterm wise hopefully am sorted in not having to need Tesla for repairs/service........I might even enquire if they are going to start doing battery pack swaps like some independent garages in the US :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean.
Upvote 0
So essentially it covers the doors??
Speaking of which, my daughter gets a lift home from the station, jumpin the back of car this afternoon, “Dad what’s this?”

hmmmm…..

(A free cold beer to the first correct guess!)

Attachments

• 4A868EC4-7DBB-4A2D-8E9E-F26F1678F077.jpeg
    4A868EC4-7DBB-4A2D-8E9E-F26F1678F077.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 65
  • D0DD569A-3241-40D0-AE4B-7432569AFF2B.jpeg
    D0DD569A-3241-40D0-AE4B-7432569AFF2B.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0
To be fair it would presumably cover the suspension items described by the OP ... and major battery failure ... and all the drive train components e.g. motors, gears and bearings ... and all the expensive computer wizardry ...
Battery and key drivetrain components including drive units are covered in the 8 years / unlimited mile factory “battery & drive unit” warranty which runs for longer than the standard 4 years/50K mile warranty (whichever comes first), for everything else.

Computer wizardry as you say (which would include the MCU) is excluded in the extended warranty, by the sounds of it.

Upvote 0
To be fair it would presumably cover the suspension items described by the OP ... and major battery failure ... and all the drive train components e.g. motors, gears and bearings ... and all the expensive computer wizardry ...

Not sure it would as air suspension, dampers is clearly stated as NOT covered. The documents also states 'wear and tear' items are not covered, and am pretty sure the insurance provider would say any suspension part failing after 53k+ has had plenty of wear! Hire car/recovery costs to Tesla is also not covered.

I don't mind paying £3300 for 4 years warranty if its going to be comprehensive, but the current UK expended warranty is essentially supplied by a third party, not like the BMW/Lexus/Mercedes manufacturer backed warranties.

I'll see how the local garage gets on with the X next week for a 'service' and will deicide before the warranty on our car runs out.

Upvote 0
Hi @Sean. How did the repair go? Was it as expected?
Yep apologies for the delay in replying. Both upper control arms replaced. Also the broken lower latch cover for RH falcon door. They also ‘discovered’ the front passenger door pusher was defective. Not sure how as it was working before. I had the drivers side door pushed replaced last year.

So yeah wallet suitably lightened to the tune of £1279

• Informative
Reactions: squarepeg77
Upvote 0
Yep apologies for the delay in replying. Both upper control arms replaced. Also the broken lower latch cover for RH falcon door. They also ‘discovered’ the front passenger door pusher was defective. Not sure how as it was working before. I had the drivers side door pushed replaced last year.

That sounds pretty reasonable for the work! - always good to have a good indy repair shop on speed dial :)

Upvote 0

Hi Sean, you mentioned that the upper control arms were replaced. Can you describe the symptoms that would indicate they needed changing? Thanks!

Upvote 0