TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Custom SR (250mi) or inventory LR (295mi)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by candy_sr, May 9, 2019.

?

New Standard Range VS Old (inventory new) Long Range

1. New

33.3%
  2. Inventory New

66.7%
  1. candy_sr

candy_sr Member

Placed order on new X Standard range (250miles) 2 weeks ago (no assigned VIN yet). However, I’ve come across an inventory X LR (295 miles) that has same price and that I had hoped for - 7 seats with AP except for the black interior.

Given the new powertrain and benefits of the refreshed model X, should I keep my order and patiently wait or is it better to switch to the inventory LR (definitely could use the extra range for trips) Which is a better buy?

2. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Without the slightest doubt, I would go a New LR. No one ever complains about having too much range.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. ysquared2

ysquared2 Member

With SR if you charge to 80% daily then your range is 200. If you get bigger wheel you could lose another 20% range.

4. Digimani

Digimani Member

In a similar dilemma, 1) new custom standard range or 2) inventory p100d model x at same price. 100d is exciting but lose recent refreshes.

Any thoughts?

5. candy_sr

candy_sr Member

You mean the new LR model X with 325mi epa range? Or the old version LR 295mi?

6. candy_sr

candy_sr Member

I’m only getting the base / standard wheels not the 22”.

7. candy_sr

candy_sr Member

I hear you! This is very appealing! I find myself bouncing back and forth. New powertrain or older version with longer range... quite the dilemma! Let me know what you decide!

8. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

I mean the former, 325. Range is by far, the most important thing to shed $ for.

9. Digimani

Digimani Member

Wish I could decide. I think I am not clear what exactly we gain with refresh. Have read release notes but practically what does all that mean? Maybe that will help clear it up

10. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

With the newest model it is pretty simple. Basically you get the newest tech front motor, which improves range to 325 miles. Plus you get the newest AP3 computer and other improvements. If I was buying now, there is no doubt I would spring for the newest bestest, longest range available. I would skip the performance options. No brainer for me.

11. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I'd get the bigger battery... Old LR over new DR
    Bigger batteries will last longer and allow for faster charging

12. Digimani

Digimani Member

Thanks, I thought new battery has faster charging after refresh. Am I missing some technicality?

• Like x 1
  13. Digimani

Digimani Member

Thanks for your detailed response. So, would you go for new standard over inventory 100d?

• Funny x 2
  14. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

For me, I would not consider either. I would go for the New, long range. No doubt in my mind. The other two are both a compromise I would not consider.

15. candy_sr

candy_sr Member

We all know that. So which is a better “compromise” new SR or inventory old LR?

16. ysquared2

ysquared2 Member

Range is more important. Imagine you are in a zombie apocalypse, you can drive 40 miles further than those SR cars ;)

• Funny x 1
  17. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

I have 2year old 100d. I’d go with the older 100d. Cars been perfect and if I keep range mode on and freeway speeds 65-70 my w/m is 275-300. So it’s quite efficient. I have seen same cars driven over 300k at the supercharger (Teslaloop) with no problems. Now I did buy fsd so Elon said would get hw3.

• Like x 2
  18. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

For the same price? Get the 100D pack its a no brainer.

The new Xs are hardly any more efficient at highway speeds which is when range matter. The boost in EPA figures is nearly all better city eMPG ratings.

The 100D pack is mighty, and if cost is equal to SR pack your be mad not to go for it.

19. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

I have no idea where this 20% range drop figure for 22s comes from??

My real life experience is showing 5-10% at the most, and at 80mph not even 5%.

20. ysquared2

ysquared2 Member