Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X damaged before a delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was picking up a new Nissan a couple of years ago, there was another brand new car in their PDI compound that someone had properly scraped down the side at some point. As others have said, it's far from uncommon for brand new cars to need minor and sometimes more major repairs prior to delivery. It's just that most ordinary car dealers would NOT tell the customer in the vast majority of cases.

Obviously I would be disappointed too if Tesla rang me to say my new pride and joy had been scratched in transit, but unless it's a major scratch I would let them fix it and maybe look for a bit of goodwill for the delay (accessories, service credit, etc). At least they've been honest about the situation, which is actually quite unusual in the industry!

When I was picking up a new Nissan a couple of years ago, there was another brand new car in their PDI compound that someone had properly scraped down the side at some point. As others have said, it's far from uncommon for brand new cars to need minor and sometimes more major repairs prior to delivery. It's just that most ordinary car dealers would NOT tell the customer in the vast majority of cases.

Obviously I would be disappointed too if Tesla rang me to say my new pride and joy had been scratched in transit, but unless it's a major scratch I would let them fix it and maybe look for a bit of goodwill for the delay (accessories, service credit, etc). At least they've been honest about the situation, which is actually quite unusual in the industry!

Agreed. They have even fixed flat tires for me for free.

BMW charged me $1000 for tire warranty and refused to patch a tire that because the tire was still usable. The tire warranty only covered tires that fail completely. I felt like getting a knife and jabbing it in the sidewall. And then in the service writer.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Anzir and P85_DA
Agreed. They have even fixed flat tires for me for free.

Funny you should mention that. When my car had less than 500 miles on the clock I picked up a huge 4" long wood screw right on the tyre shoulder. Took it to Tesla and they fitted a brand new replacement tyre FOC just because they felt sorry I was so unlucky with my new car! Really was a nice gesture and no way have I had anything like that sort of goodwill at any other dealership. For example when the battery died on our Porsche 911 (under full OEM warranty at 2 years old) they tried to charge me full price for the replacement and I had to argue just to get them to split the cost! It was pretty embarrassing to be honest. Franchised car dealers in the UK are typically very low profit making (usually struggling to survive) and so they basically can't afford to provide goodwill!

Reactions: TexasRat