Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Dash cam install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a blackvue 650 installed. No power in the mirror box. Had to go behind the dash. There is also no room in channel glued to the windshield, so power and data from rear camera have to run next to the channel. For now, they are glued to the windshield, but the installer is working on a channel to glue next to the existing channel. As they are, you don't even notice them unless you look for them.

I had a blackvue 650 installed. No power in the mirror box. Had to go behind the dash. There is also no room in channel glued to the windshield, so power and data from rear camera have to run next to the channel. For now, they are glued to the windshield, but the installer is working on a channel to glue next to the existing channel. As they are, you don't even notice them unless you look for them.
How are they powered?

Thank you Sir, could you please post some pictures of the install. It would be most appreciated.

Reactions: halg
The rear 12-volt power socket in the trunk is switched—"Power is available whenever the instrument
panel and touchscreen are on". How about the 3rd row USB port, does it have power when the car is "off"?

Last edited:

I want to install a blackvue 650 with three questions...
1) I understand that the mirror box houses a rain sensor and a camera for auto pilot. If you mount the blackvue in front of the mirror, does it interfere with the camera?
2) If you wire it switched, would it defeat the parking mode?
3) Because the blackvue has wifi people say you can use the car screen to view the cameras. I thought video is locked out.

I want to install a blackvue 650 with three questions...
1) I understand that the mirror box houses a rain sensor and a camera for auto pilot. If you mount the blackvue in front of the mirror, does it interfere with the camera?
2) If you wire it switched, would it defeat the parking mode?
3) Because the blackvue has wifi people say you can use the car screen to view the cameras. I thought video is locked out.
I have the backvue mounted just below the mirror box. The mirror is lower than the box so the blackvue hides well behind the mirror.

Yes, if switched, the parking mode would be useless as the camera would power down as soon as the car did.

The blackvue is wifi to the blackvue phone app only. It has no interaction with the car display.

I have the backvue mounted just below the mirror box. The mirror is lower than the box so the blackvue hides well behind the mirror.

Yes, if switched, the parking mode would be useless as the camera would power down as soon as the car did.

The blackvue is wifi to the blackvue phone app only. It has no interaction with the car display.
I am planning to have it installed with the Power Magic Pro for park mode. I had heard that the BlacVue DR650-2CH could take a 128GB card but appears limited to 64gb. Is there a product number?

Following this post. I expect my Model X to arrive in about a month and I'd like to add a dash cam system. Any more advice or experience would be helpful. I'm still trying to understand which system will work best and how they've been installed.

Following this post. I expect my Model X to arrive in about a month and I'd like to add a dash cam system. Any more advice or experience would be helpful. I'm still trying to understand which system will work best and how they've been installed.

I am working on a updated video on my YouTube channel but I have a review of the BlackVue on you my YouTube channel (MacTechGenius). I have been very happy with it, and new cloud feature is awesome. From my understanding it can be powered from the OBD port or frunk on the MX but I will probably have mine professionally installed even though I previously did the install myself on my Acura

Reactions: 0gas
If anybody still wants to purchase, they're available through Groupon (but I think a third party seller) for $280 for the 16GB SD, 2 channel version. I needed to get two (one for my husband's Model S, and one for my it'll-get-here-one-day Model X. This worked out to be a much better price than anywhere else, including the $310 group buy deal, because of free shipping and no sales tax.
Due to arrive on Thursday; fingers crossed that they are really new and as described!
One question: does anybody know, yet, whether we will need longer cable to reach the rear camera spot?

• Informative
Reactions: vperl